Shifting Gears - Driving song I recordedMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mcjoz88
  • 2 comments
  • 772 views
Messages
183
United States
Pennsylvania, U
Messages
Mcjoz88
Messages
GuitarJozz
Well, actually, my brother and I recorded. I played rhythm and lead guitars, and my brother played bass and drums(Yamaha DTXplorer electronic drumset actually).

I came up with this song a little while ago. We recorded it one evening. There are a few little mess-ups here and there, but it got pretty late and we both worked during the day, so please take it easy on us. We are also fairly amateur guitar and drum players, having only played our instruments for maybe 4 years, my brother even less with the drums. I am still learning on guitar, things like scales(I couldn't tell ya which scale I used in the song below, but it fit with the rhythm chords I used, so I went with it) and whatnot, but I Just thought I'd give some background info. We hope to someday maybe create a whole album, and maybe get good enough to play live and stuff...

Hopefully the link works. You can also check out some other recordings we did, some just me, and some my brother and I together. If anyone's interested, I could post about what guitars I use and the equipment we use to record and whatnot, but for now, just check out the song. Let us know what you think!


http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_9357219
 
As you say there are a few little "mess-ups" here and there, mostly in timing on the drums but otherwise I think it is a great base for a track.

I really like the chord sequencing - simple but effective and nicely harmonic.

Could use a bass track for balance and perhaps a synth lead. A little structuring in the sequence and melodies to give the track structure would help too.

On the whole though I really like the 'feel' of the track, the harmonies sit nicely with me and it has an uplifting nuance throughout. Keep up the great work!

Oh, and I am no expert - just been writing my own stuff since my teens (a long time ago) and thought a little constructive criticism would help grow the track - it definitely deserves some growth - great start! :)
 
As you say there are a few little "mess-ups" here and there, mostly in timing on the drums but otherwise I think it is a great base for a track.

I really like the chord sequencing - simple but effective and nicely harmonic.

Could use a bass track for balance and perhaps a synth lead. A little structuring in the sequence and melodies to give the track structure would help too.

On the whole though I really like the 'feel' of the track, the harmonies sit nicely with me and it has an uplifting nuance throughout. Keep up the great work!

Oh, and I am no expert - just been writing my own stuff since my teens (a long time ago) and thought a little constructive criticism would help grow the track - it definitely deserves some growth - great start! :)

Thanks for the feedback. :cheers:There is a bass guitar in there, maybe I have to bring the volume up a bit. And I am working on a better guitar melody for that background spacey type effect, something that would help glue the song together. Like I said though, I really have no idea which scales are what, and what the names of the chords I'm using are. I basically just come up with a simple rhythm with the guitar, and then find what series of notes fit with it. Then I go from there. I'm still trying to conquer my right hand and left hand sluggish coordination when playing lead/solos, I can't do a proper solo yet because of that. But again, thanks for the feedback/criticism! I really would like to make it into a sound similar to Joe Satriani, with perhaps a bit of Eric Johnson thrown in, to create some unique, creative, yet still rockin type stuff.
 
Back