Shifting point

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mopatop
  • 9 comments
  • 914 views
Messages
374
Quick question guys

Yesterday I was driving my Delta Integrale with a friend, and I'm shifting deep into the redline, a fraction before it hits the limiter. My mate, however, shifts at the redline, every time.

I always thought that you should try to squeeze every last rev from the engine as you're producing more power for every RPM you get - however Rich knows what he's doing (you should see him on the Nurburgring) so I was wondering if anyone knew what, generally, is the best idea?

Thanks!
 
Depends the engine.
a lot of engines loose power in the last revs.
Best indicator is the power graph of the car .
If you see it drop at the end, opt to change gear before.
I rarly saw a car with a power output curve not falling at the end.

Hope this helps
 
True I know that peak power is always before the redline (mostly), I was just always thought that was counteracted by the shorter ratio.
 
mosts cars usually will produce max power about 500 to 1000 rpm before the limiter but pulling to the limiter will gain u extra ground on your opponent because he will be changing gear - your method is right
 
True I know that peak power is always before the redline (mostly), I was just always thought that was counteracted by the shorter ratio.

Peak power (as in horse) may be, but peak torque isn't. The torque curves usually peak way before the redline, and you want torque when accelerating.
 
It depends on the car - easy answer.

The difficult answer is that while the peak power drops away towards the redline (the final part of the hp curve) the torque curve doesn't diminish by as much (if at all). That's pretty much what GTP_sahkojanis said above me.

However, if you shift you'll generally be dropping to a level on the power and torque curves that is considerably lower than the point you were at when you shifted... if that makes sense.

Unless you've optimised the gears for power+torque then going to the redline is best.
 
Peak power (as in horse) may be, but peak torque isn't. The torque curves usually peak way before the redline, and you want torque when accelerating.

Myth! What you want is power - which is torque x RPM. Even though you get more torque at lower RPM, the RPM advantage lets you use a shorter gear ratio, resulting in more driving torque on the road.

Don't get me wrong, I love my TDi, but bags of low-end torque only benefit driveability, in racing it's all about the power! That's why even in a diesel you rev the nuts off it.
 
However, if you shift you'll generally be dropping to a level on the power and torque curves that is considerably lower than the point you were at when you shifted... if that makes sense

Yeah I think you're right, I'm sure I read an article once saying that it doesn't matter how much your power drops off at the top end, when you shift up the effect of the gear ratio means you're always going to be worse off, so hang on to the gear as much as possible.
 
As in real life, NA cars benefit from an earlier change, Turbo/Forced induction can be left to redline/limiter

Torque is generated higher up the power curve on forced aspiration, whereas Max torque on an NA car is usually lower.

Hence, Turbo cars have no pull until the tubby is up to full speed.
 
I always shift by feel but it's hard to feel in a game. I look at the max torque and max power figures, that pretty much defines the power band. Then I shift to keep the revs in that range as much as possible all the time. Usually you need to goto red line so that when you get to the next higher gear it starts off at max torque (start of powerband).

However this all gets complicated by hills, when going up a hill you want to shift later depending on how steep it is.

Then there is the type of car. The vtec civic for example, the vtec doesn't seem to kick it until right at the end of the powerband, so you want to keep those revs high always. Also in lower power cars you'll want to shift down earlier and shift up later to keep your revs high.

High torque cars, like muscle cars and race cars you can shift earlier, they have larger power bands and you get more control. Low power cars, shift late usually. Japanese cars underate power so you gotta shfit earlier to unlock extra horses.

I could be wrong about any these things, it's hard to know when to shift in a game. I just learnt by trial and error :]
 
Last edited:
Back