shocks/springs...

• Thread starter SpyHunter
  • 7 comments
GTP_Spyhunter
I have noticed alot of people running higher rates in the rear, than in the front. Like setting the springs at 4/8 for the tuned Vette. The higher the number, the stiffer (higher rate) it is, right? That setting would be completely backwards in real life, if that is the case. Just curious, as I have been tuning the other way, like using 8/4 for the tuned vette's springs.

Am I missing something here?

It depends on the effect you are trying to achieve. It could make sense if you want more oversteer or less understeer.

Softening the rear means weight is shifted over the rear wheels undr acceleration, hopefully increasing traction under acceleration. Then using stiff front shocks means the car won't have much body roll, Thats why my rear has a low number for spring rate.

Softening the rear means weight is shifted over the rear wheels undr acceleration, hopefully increasing traction under acceleration. Then using stiff front shocks means the car won't have much body roll, Thats why my rear has a low number for spring rate.

Right. Thus 4 in the rear, and not 8. Just had to double check. Really confused why anyone would want it the opposite. Unless drifting. 👍

Really confused why anyone would want it the opposite.
Because it also depends on how the weight is distributed on the car and (again) what effect you want to achieve. It's wrong to say front springs should always be stiffer than rear IMHO. See Scaff's tuning guides for more info on this.

If you stiffen the rear it takes some of the pressure off the front wheels in cornering and thus can help improve steering response through the bend. Depends on the car, depends on the track.

All blanket statements are crap!

Yes, guys, I understand that there is no ideal set up for every car. That is why I mentioned the Z06 specifically. I understand that in a FWD, you would tend to want a higher spring rate in the rear to help rotate the car, and help with front end bite. However, since I own a high hp rwd car, I couldn't understand why someone would make the rear considereable stiffer. Then I again, I don't know the motion ratios on the Z06. Maybe its like a E30 BMW, which do tend to run more spring in the rear, as the motion ratio drops the effective rate lower then the front.

I have tuned a few rides (one of those a Tuned Vette with exactly the rates you mentioned ;)) for Suzuka and for quite a few of them, I came up with a higher rear spring rate. For instance, the Fairlady/350 Z's (standard and tuned) benefit greatly from a higher rear spring rate and a lower front spring rate. You can really (especially the Opera/Amuse) throw them around a corner at high speed.

For a different track it could be a whole different story though.

Back