Shopping for a 4k HDR TV

• Thread starter ImaRobot
  • 9 comments
United States
Los Angeles, CA
Lma_robot
lImaRobotl
So as the title says, I'm in the market for a new TV to try to take advantage of my Xbox One X, but I'm having trouble with all the differences in HDR technology. It's all a bit confusing really, and while I have read up on some of it, while searching specific model numbers I see some list it as HDR, but then when I check others, they don't.

What I'm really looking for is recommendations, rather than info on the differences between them. Budget is around $500 dollars give or take, and I'm willing to go a bit higher if it's necessairy. So that likely puts me around 43-50" TVs. Is there any in my budget that people have had experience with, that be able to utilize HDR10 and the 4k output of my One X?

I do realize that with my budget, I don't have the best selection.

I just got a Samsung UE40MU6400 with my PS4 Pro for £480 (probably over $500 I guess), I've read the HDR isn't that great compared to some but at the price, in the UK at least, it was by far the best option. LG's equivalent was cheaper but the picture quality wasn't as good, Sony and Panasonic's were (I think) more expensive - frankly for me it was between the Samsung and LG because I was really wowed by the Samsung first but the LG was £100 cheaper, but yeah, not as good.

In the age of OLED and all that stuff it may not be the best TV ever (it's barely above their bottom of the range selection!) but to my eyes, it's a great TV. GT Sport, Horizon Zero Dawn, Wipeout and Tekken all look great on it.

I just got a Samsung UE40MU6400 with my PS4 Pro for £480 (probably over $500 I guess), I've read the HDR isn't that great compared to some but at the price, in the UK at least, it was by far the best option. LG's equivalent was cheaper but the picture quality wasn't as good, Sony and Panasonic's were (I think) more expensive - frankly for me it was between the Samsung and LG because I was really wowed by the Samsung first but the LG was £100 cheaper, but yeah, not as good.

In the age of OLED and all that stuff it may not be the best TV ever (it's barely above their bottom of the range selection!) but to my eyes, it's a great TV. GT Sport, Horizon Zero Dawn, Wipeout and Tekken all look great on it.
That model number is likely the UK number, but I was looking into this, which looks like a similar model number. This is actually the one I was referencing when that it says HDR PRO on this review site, yet when going to places like Best Buy and Walmart, they would specify that it doesn't have HDR in the product details.

This seems like a pretty good deal and within your specs and price range. It's through Best Buy. If you or someone you know has a Costco membership it's a great place to buy a new TV as well.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...MOSLlW8ANZIESpEzGfKoEKksPlmjoGnRoCCQ4QAvD_BwE
I was writing my reply before you posted, but thats actually the one I just replied to @neema_t about. I'll likely get that one, but was curious.

That model number is likely the UK number, but I was looking into this, which looks like a similar model number. This is actually the one I was referencing when that it says HDR PRO on this review site, yet when going to places like Best Buy and Walmart, they would specify that it doesn't have HDR in the product details.

The MU6300 the MU6100 in Europe, I think. The US version of the MU6400 is the MU7000... Jeez, could they make this any more difficult?!

Apart from the apparent hole in the backlight diffuser (or whatever it is that goes between the backlight and LCD that's letting a bright spot through) and the fact that there doesn't seem to be a way to disable the dynamic backlight, it's a pretty great TV. But having seen the price sadly I think it's out of your budget, sorry - tech is usually $1 = £1 but apparently not in this case.

Just saw you weren't really looking for recommendations. Sorry. I know nothing about 4K and HDR TVs but will be in the market soon.
Actually, what I was looking for is recommendations :P

The MU6300 the MU6100 in Europe, I think. The US version of the MU6400 is the MU7000... Jeez, could they make this any more difficult?!

Apart from the apparent hole in the backlight diffuser (or whatever it is that goes between the backlight and LCD that's letting a bright spot through) and the fact that there doesn't seem to be a way to disable the dynamic backlight, it's a pretty great TV. But having seen the price sadly I think it's out of your budget, sorry - tech is usually $1 = £1 but apparently not in this case.
Yeah, tell me about it! I was having trouble trying to match numbers, and figured the MU6400 here was at least the similar :lol:. As for the MU7000, right now its on sale for $600 which isn't too far out of budget. Oddly, the 50 inch is the same price as the 40 inch right now. Thanks for that, I'll hold on to this model number when I go in on Friday. Here's to hoping I get a Christmas bonus this year though, cus that'll set me back lol.

My family recently bought this on Black Friday.

TCL 49S405 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku, $360 right now
http://a.co/5LGsEQ7

Overall, quality is definitely not as good as a Samsung or Sony, but it's still pretty good. It supports HDR10 also.

Great time to shop for 4K HDR TVs. You should be fine with whatever you get, just make sure you get the biggest set you can afford. It makes a “big” difference. 4K and HDR really shine at 65 inches or larger.

Also make sure you buy some Xbox One Enhanced games, including Homefront the Revolution, Gears of War 4 and Forza 7. Each of these games show off HDR quite nicely.

Back