Should comfort tires sounds like rumble strips?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lalaurentide
  • 3 comments
  • 877 views
Messages
462
This is most noticeable under a heavy skid or drift, but tires have two sound associated with them, the high pitch squeal and the sound of the tire "working". On sport and racing tires that last effect is subtle and sound appropriate, but on comfort it sounds like a highway rumble strip. It's a loud and grinding bass sound, especially under drifts/skids. Does anyone else find it off-putting? Is it intended? After finding it was a comfort tire issue I cannot find myself using comforts, even for drifting and especially when drifting.
 
It's definitely intended, this is realistic when you push non-performance tires past grip limits. I imagine it’s from tread blocks being massively distorted and running at extreme slip angles, you get nasty sounds. If you’ve ever been to an autocross with people running regular all-season tires you will hear some terrible groans.

When I noticed this audio I was glad they added it, but I think it’s still too predictable and sterile going from one sound right to another at a certain limit. But it’s still better than one standard tire squeal.
 
I thought that was one of the thing that is really well done. On street tires at the limit they make this nasty sound that you know you hit the limit...When I had my all seasons on for autoX when I first started I used to hear it all the time. Now on much stickier tire they are only really present when I've done something stupid...
 
Sound is annoying , but then I remembered i can recreate same sound when driving my hyundai on a local market parking 30km/h> asphalt there is like a glass and the moment I do a turn there's really annoying tyre squel like I'm drifting 80km/h. I think they tried to recreate what happened if you push everyday comfort tyres real hard .
 
Back