Should GT7 be E10+ or T rated?(or whatever the equivalent rating)

• Thread starter spencer7x7
  • 22 comments
United States
'Murica
spencer7x7
All Gran Turismo games so far have been rated E for Everyone, and that's okay. But I've read lots of suggestions like realistic damage, gambling, original liveries for certain cars. None of these can be possible with an E rating. So I think PD should raise the rating in the game so that they have more freedom. GT has become a serious game, shouldn't the rating reflect that?

GT5 & GT6 have visual & mechanical damage and both are rated E. F1 & WRC games have damage and are rated E. Shift & Forza games have damage & custom liveries and are rated E.
Gambling might have effect of the game's rating, but damage and custom liveries shouldn't require a T rating.

Those 3 things were just examples, the point is that in the devs will have freedom over anything even music. And by the liveries I mean cars with tobacco sponsorship like the Lotus 98T.

For the record, Shift 2 and Forza Horizon is E10, and Forza Horizon 2 is rated T.

Those 3 things were just examples, the point is that in the devs will have freedom over anything even music. And by the liveries I mean cars with tobacco sponsorship like the Lotus 98T.

For the record, Shift 2 and Forza Horizon is E10, and Forza Horizon 2 is rated T.
They won't have any more freedom just because they're aiming for a different rating; they just have to jump through a different set of hoops. Strictly speaking, they don't have to jump through the hoops at all, but some countries get a bit antsy about that and won't let the game go on sale... Some games exist purely to spite the existence of the hoops in the first place, which has its own joys.

Also, Horizon is a very different game, and I'd expect the dialogue and music (lyrics) to be the biggest factor in that case. Something like "contains explicit Dudebro", or whatever.

Car damage and custom liveries shouldn't affect a age rating for a video game. But it may be something like E10+ or T if it has something like alcohol references and stuff (like Forza Horizon and NFS Most Wanted 2012 which are both E10+)

One of the Civilization games has references to alcohol and tobacco and is rated E10+. Although, that's just a general reference to the objects as a whole as opposed to advertising certain brands. I'm pretty sure that GT7 will have censored tobacco and alcohol brands and remain "E" rated.

They can get past the whole tobacco/alcohol rating subject and still keep it E rated by releasing said cars as DLC. Forza 4 did that with its Quattro Rally car and Porsche 962. How specifically the DLC needs to be (can it be free, a specific "alcohol/tobacco livery unlock" DLC for $ or free) I don't know myself.

They can get past the whole tobacco/alcohol rating subject and still keep it E rated by releasing said cars as DLC. Forza 4 did that with its Quattro Rally car and Porsche 962. How specifically the DLC needs to be (can it be free, a specific "alcohol/tobacco livery unlock" DLC for $ or free) I don't know myself.

Didn't know that's how they did it. Great idea though. That Turn 10, they're a sneaky bunch.

If GT7 had extreme damage (and exploding cars), car and credit gambling, alcohol and tobacco sponsors, and lyrical content, they might push GT7 to be T- Teen or for the worst case scenario, M- Mature.

Strong Violence (because of extreme car damage and the possibility of an extremely totaled car to explode)
Simulated Gambling (because of car and credit gambling)
Alcohol Reference (because of alcohol-related branding on car liveries)
Tobacco Reference (Same as alcohol reference, but this time with tobacco instead)
Strong Lyrics (Lyrical content in some songs, plus with the custom soundtrack feature, you can put almost any heavy-language and explicit song.)

Better watch out what you're suggesting or GT7 might be an M- Mature game.

Didn't know that's how they did it. Great idea though. That Turn 10, they're a sneaky bunch.

IIRC, its something to do with the way DLC is categorised. Full-on expansion packs that add extra elements or could co-exist without the base game (Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon to the original Far Cry 3, for instance) are given a rating solely because of potential content with in. Other types of DLC, which only provide minor, superficial additions (such as skin packs for characters) generally slip under the radar as they're not totally game changing and don't add anything questionable to the game; hence no rating.

Car packs generally fall under the latter category, and because they are exempt from being given a rating, T10 could easily slip those cars in without having to bump up the age rating.

If DLC carpacks are exempt from rating, wouldn't they still have to conform to that rating for the next version of the game if the same cars are included as delivered, with the tobacco etc. logos?

There's no easy way to really tell since neither the Porsche or the quattro made it into FM5 to see how that'd work, but I'd assume they'd be reverted back to the generic versions in that instance.

It's also pretty fallacious to link a game's ESRB rating with how "serious" it is.

CoD, Assasins Creed, Metal Gear Solid are all serious games with M ratings. Very few M rated games aren't.

Better watch out what you're suggesting or GT7 might be an M- Mature game.

Impossible, lots of young people still play GT, a M rating would significantly reduce sales compared to a T, which is okay for almost everyone to play.

CoD, Assasins Creed, Metal Gear Solid are all serious games with M ratings. Very few M rated games aren't.
Next time I play Duke Nukem Forever or Borderlands 2, I'll be sure to play them on "The Futility of War" difficulty setting.

The "Mature" rating means that it has stuff the can be considered too objectionable for kids to see. It has absolutely nothing to do with how serious the story or gameplay is, just like it doesn't for films. The Expendables 2 isn't a masterpiece of modern storytelling just because it has a hard R rating compared to something like Toy Story 3 with its dinky G.

The only one of those things that would have any impact on the game's rating would be the second one; and I'd say there is no chance of gambling being implemented into a GT game in the first place.

It's also pretty fallacious to link a game's ESRB rating with how "serious" it is.
Gran Turismo PSP online had a gambling aspect, the jackpot lap

Unless they show death of the driver there is no reason why they would increase the rating. Burnout Paradise had amazing car damage and still got PEGI 7 (not sure about ESRB) and it could be because of some song with strong lyrics.

Just has to be DLC. DLC is rated separately from the game, at least by PEGI. However, a version of the game that also included said DLC would be rated accordingly.

@spencer7x7: online interactions and user-generated content, if I recall correctly what I read about the PEGI guidelines, are not rated. However a gambling feature may bump up the rating of Gran Turismo 7 considerably.

In most games with online features, an "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB" message shows up. The ESRB does not rate user-generated content, then. However, Turn 10 and Microsoft do ban players who try to share an explicit livery on a car. Liveries should be moderated if there is a livery editor in GT7.

All Gran Turismo games so far have been rated E for Everyone, and that's okay. But I've read lots of suggestions like realistic damage, gambling, original liveries for certain cars. None of these can be possible with an E rating. So I think PD should raise the rating in the game so that they have more freedom. GT has become a serious game, shouldn't the rating reflect that?

How exactly will a rating give them more "freedom"? They are making a game where all you do is race cars, whats stopping them from having "Freedom"? (Excluding licenses and whatnot).

The ratings of games are for the content in them, not how "Serious" they are otherwise I can name plenty of M rated games that are anything but serious.

Back