Should I buy project cars 2 (again?)

• Thread starter Ripper83
  • 24 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Ripper83
So I bought PC2 on release last year and was so very disappointed in it on ps4 for many reasons already discussed on here but mainly the feel on a control pad, despite forever messing around with the settings it never felt anywhere close to PC1 which I found great to play on a control pad.

In the end I sold it before it lost most of its value as I lost patience and had too many other new games to play.

However...I am thinking of buying it again! So my question is has it improved with patches this year or will I still encounter the same frustrations?

I generally play most of the categories but I particularly would want to spend time on indycars. They didn’t feel right before with all the tyre smoking and jittery steering, are they better now?

Thoughts appreciated!!

Last edited:
So I bought PC2 on release last year and was so very disappointed in it on ps4 for many reasons already discussed on here but mainly the feel on a control pad, despite forever messing around with the settings it never felt anywhere close to PC1 which I found great to play on a control pad.

In the end I sold it before it lost most of its value as I lost patience and had too many other new games to play.

However...I am thinking of buying it again! So my question is has it improved with patches this year or will I still encounter the same frustrations?

I generally play most of the categories but I particularly would want to slender time on indycars. They didn’t feel right before with all the tyre smoking and jittery steering, are they better now?

Thoughts appreciated!!

I use a wheel so can't comment on pad settings, but there are some experts like @Wolfe who might be able to help you with settings etc.

Personally I really like the game and feel it is a worthwhile step up from PC1 apart from the sound mixing and tactile effects which got worse instead of better. I suggest buying a secondhand copy so that you aren't risking much outlay.

If you didnt like it before i doubt you'll like it now. But who knows i personally feel like the game has gotten better with a game pad.

If you have any friends with pcars 2 try it at there house.
Or like Sick Cylinder said buy it second hand.

Can't really comment on what you should spend your money on, and I have no idea what your situation is. If your contemplating whether dropping $30-$40 for a new copy (less for a used copy) is worth it for a game you already have played, then I would say no.

And I do understand that you are asking if it is any better (with patches and the like) but have to say that, to me, it is enjoyable and always has been. I have yet to play a perfect game, especially a racing title (I'm on console mind you), but I can usually find enough to like about a game to keep playing it, or if I don't I move on... I still pop PC1 in and play it once in a while, and doing that I agree that PC2 is a step up in certain areas. Play it on the Xbox 1 and the PS4 (Xbox with the pad, PS4 with a wheel...). I'm gonna have to agree with @Chikane though, if you didn't like it before then seriously doubt that you are going to be impressed by it - although I do love the Vintage LeMans stuff. Good luck!

I have my controller settings set up now how I like it, I also gave it a break for 6 months but playing the last week or so I am really enjoying all the cars and tracks that are not in other games. Races are fun and I play Wheel (If I find the time) or DS4. I can post my settings for the DS4 but i think people preferred the other guys settings on here. (To me I could not get on with their settings-too wobbly/loose for my liking etc). Every one has their ideal set up, but I prefer it with slow feedback like Drive Club, GTS, Dirt4 handling etc (I tried everything but still I can not get near to these levels of DS4 but at least I can control the cars now and make the laps around!)

+1 for grabbing 2nd hand copy or downloading on PSN/Xbox when sales are on. 👍

I have it on both pc and ps4 so consider it was worth buying twice.
Apart from the AI which annoys me often and the lack of a decent range of racing slicks the game provides a superior experience for me in the follosing areas:
Car selection
Track variety
Live weather
24 hour day and night cycle
Setup and tuning option and accuracy
Good graphics ps4 great graphics pc
Immersive sound detail

Oh a slight negative woukd be on the ps4 the multiplAyer (auto correct gone mad ) is definitely LITE.

@Ripper83

It seems like you buy and sell games frequently (see the DiRT thread), so I would say buy games when they are within your budget instead of buying, selling, and rebuying them. It appears to me you’re throwing money away.

...I am thinking of buying it again! So my question is has it improved with patches this year or will I still encounter the same frustrations?

There is a demo available now on the PS Store, so it's probably best to try that first before you spend any money.

@Ripper83

It seems like you buy and sell games frequently (see the DiRT thread), so I would say buy games when they are within your budget instead of buying, selling, and rebuying them. It appears to me you’re throwing money away.

Thank you for your life advice there.

I choose to buy games on release sometimes because I enjoyed the previous version so much like I’m sure many others do on here.

Dirt Rally and PC1 happen to be my favourite driving games on ps4 hence why I bought their follow ups. Sadly I was disappointed with both and chose to sell them whilst they still had most of their value and I had other games to keep me busy.

With less games now I have been intrigued to see if these have improved through patches at all (PC1 improved massively in first 6 months because of this).

I would only be looking to pick a copy up again on the cheap, mainly for indycars so if there’s a deal to be had I might give it another try.

I choose to buy games on release sometimes because I enjoyed the previous version so much like I’m sure many others do on here.

Dirt Rally and PC1 happen to be my favourite driving games on ps4 hence why I bought their follow ups. Sadly I was disappointed with both and chose to sell them whilst they still had most of their value and I had other games to keep me busy.

With less games now I have been intrigued to see if these have improved through patches at all (PC1 improved massively in first 6 months because of this).

I would only be looking to pick a copy up again on the cheap, mainly for indycars so if there’s a deal to be had I might give it another try.

You’re welcome, good luck! :)

Like Chikane and barryf1fan I do not think that you will enjoy it if you were heavily disappointed on release
HOWEVER
I play on controller and usually don't spend so much time in the settings and find it perfectly enjoyable. I loved the first of the name and see in this one a massive improvement, but I understand you can dislike it.
About IndyCar, there were a lot of improvements since day one that you can really feel in this category (Indy was horrible on release and is now quite good)
Hope you will enjoy it as well if you get your hands on it !

Last edited:
Indycar has definitely improved since launch in fact all of the game has improved. But I don’t think you should buy it compared to its competitors and gtr3 is coming out later so I suggest you get that

Offline has its bugs too. But there isn't quite the same frustration factor when a bug ruins a race for you when playing some AI opponents!

But mostly, in the OP's position, I'd get a used copy simply for the new tracks and cars. There is so much content in PC2, it is going to take you a LONG, long time to play all of it. Stick to GT3 and the same few tracks you see online, though, no, not so much! This game has amazingly varied content, but you'd never guess it from looking at online lobbies.

I just started playing it again this past week. For me it’s good for hot lapping alone on the track & not much else. I play on controller & have used settings found on this forum. Just my opinion, but PC2 is still far behind games like F1 2017, Dirt4 and GT Sport in terms of driving with a controller.

Surprised it wasn’t mentioned in this thread, but if you only played at release, there was a patch, I want to say 6-ish months after release, that changed the way the controller feels a LOT.

It went from being extremely nervous, knife edge, with zero chance of catching a slide (and I’m not new to sliding cars sideways in video games :P), to being much more reasonable.....feels more like GT6. Not completely like GT6, but closer than when PC2 released.

Controller still has a couple issues, mostly I find I get snap oversteer when I release the brake pedal (stiffening rear dampers helps with this), and puddles on a drying track are an absolute nightmare, but other than that, it’s not too bad.

The feel of the controller is the least of my issues with this game :lol:

Surprised it wasn’t mentioned in this thread, but if you only played at release, there was a patch, I want to say 6-ish months after release, that changed the way the controller feels a LOT.

It went from being extremely nervous, knife edge, with zero chance of catching a slide (and I’m not new to sliding cars sideways in video games :P), to being much more reasonable.....feels more like GT6. Not completely like GT6, but closer than when PC2 released.

Controller still has a couple issues, mostly I find I get snap oversteer when I release the brake pedal (stiffening rear dampers helps with this), and puddles on a drying track are an absolute nightmare, but other than that, it’s not too bad.

The feel of the controller is the least of my issues with this game :lol:

Can you recommend me some controller settings please?

Can you recommend me some controller settings please?

By - Wolfe
Steering Sensitivity: 10
Throttle Sensitivity: 45
Brake Sensitivity: 45

Speed Sensitivity: 75
Controller Damping: 85

Driving Assists (Full)
Anti-Lock Brakes: LOW
Stability Control: OFF
Traction Control: OFF
Opposite Lock: ON

By - Youtube

By - Mr Grumpy
Steering Deadzone = 1 - because I personally need it to keep/get the car straight.

Steering Sensitivity = 50 - because I prefer to be in full control of how much I turn left or right.

Throttle Deadzone = 1 - I've just got OCD.

Throttle Sensitivity = 50 - because I prefer to be in full control of how much throttle to use.

Brake Deadzone = 1 - OCD again.

Brake Sensitivity = 50 - because I prefer to be in full control of how much brake to use.

Clutch Deadzone = 0 - not used.

Clutch Sensitivity = 0 - not used.

Speed Sensitivity = 75 - because it gives me the ability to react at high speed if anything happens in front of me without being to sensitive or unresponsive.

Controller Damping = 75 - because it gives me the ability to flick left or right & counter steer without being to sensitive or unresponsive + OCD.

Controller Vibration = 75 - Just OCD.

Minimum Shift Time = 0 - because I want to be in full control of when I change gear.

RPM/Gear Display = Yes - because I want to see my revs & what gear I'm in at any given time.

By - Zeitoss
Steering Deadzone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 1
Throttle Deadzone: 0
Throttle Sensitivity: 1
Brake Deadzone: 0
Brake Sensitivity: 1
Clutch Deadzone: 0
Clutch Densitivity: 1
Speed Sensitivity: 90-95
Controller Damping: 100
Controller Vibration: 100
Minimum Shift Time: 0
RPM/Gear Display: Yes

By - Chikane
Project_CARS_2_20180620083441.png
Project_CARS_2_20180620083449.png

Just my opinion, but PC2 is still far behind games like F1 2017, Dirt4 and GT Sport in terms of driving with a controller.

In terms of driving ease, trust me, PC2 is harder than GTS even with a wheel..!

If you are expecting some controller settings and a patch to get you back to GTS's ease, I'm afraid it's not going to happen. Yes, it's easier now than at launch, but kind of the whole POINT of this game is more realistic handling, and more realistic=more challenging.

In terms of driving ease, trust me, PC2 is harder than GTS even with a wheel..!

If you are expecting some controller settings and a patch to get you back to GTS's ease, I'm afraid it's not going to happen. Yes, it's easier now than at launch, but kind of the whole POINT of this game is more realistic handling, and more realistic=more challenging.
Not always, and not for everyone. I had a harder time with the open beta for GT Sport than PC2. I read PD changed the controller steering input after the beta, but trying to countersteer gave me bad flashbacks to GT4. :ill:

I also have a harder time with some twitchy arcade racers than a proper simulator. Cars aren't really that hard to drive in real life, after all.

Basing your judgement of a game on an open beta isn't generally a good idea. PD added a countersteer assist, and from the myriad posts of people generally having a harder time with PC2 after playing GTS etc., I'm afraid your opinion (particularly as based on a pre-release beta) is definitely the minority one.

But even wheel players, coming to PC2 after GTS, Forza, etc., usually report a period of adjustment and unlearning bad arcade handling habits.

Basing your judgement of a game on an open beta isn't generally a good idea.
Demoing your game with an open beta that has a pretty serious control problem isn't generally a good idea.

Anyhow, I didn't say I judged the final product based on that. I'm pointing out how something can be more challenging to play despite being less realistic, because realism and challenge don't go strictly hand-in-hand. And a game can have better or worse analog stick steering than another game -- which was all @W Patrick referred to in his post you quoted -- independent of how they compare in terms of realism.

...even wheel players, coming to PC2 after GTS, Forza, etc., usually report a period of adjustment and unlearning bad arcade handling habits.
My problem with coming to a game like GT or Forza is having to unlearn real driving habits, because their attempts to be realistic-ish leave them in an uncanny middle ground where they are neither as responsive or polished as a good arcade-style racing game nor as intuitive and natural as a good simulator.

It's worse with a wheel than a controller, because then I have to unlearn driving technique AND muscle memory.

Agreed. But I guess that's the point of open betas. You don't really get real world input from your dev team on how things like pad control are going. Better to have an open beta than face these issues once the game is in the stores (and getting bad reviews because of the pad behavior).

For me, it's hard to judge about realism with a wheel when you are divorced from the seat of your pants input. You want realism, and then realize that much of that 'unrealism' in wheel FFB is simply an attempt to provide information to your hands that is normally felt by your backsides.

I feel it's all a grey scale. Pro motion sim at one end, full arcade game at the other. And nothing accurate to real life anywhere along the scale..!

Back