Should I ditch my Fanatec CSR for a Thrustmaster

• Thread starter pasigiri
  • 4 comments
pasigiri
Has anybody switched from a CSR to a Thrustmaster and noticed driving improvements?

I have a PS4 with a CSR and Clubsport elite pedals and I have been fooling around with the wheel settings and game setting for a while now to the point where the game is not fun. I have to admit, I'm not the greatest sim racer out there (FAR from a lot of folks on this forum alone), but I'm no slouch either. I know it's kind of odd to compare GT6 to PCars, but I can't see myself THIS bad. For example, I can get through the first set of corners on the Nordschleife in 35 to 40 seconds depending on the car (road cars) in GT6 easily. STOCK. In PCars, I can barely get cars THROUGH the corners with track tires, and when I do, a whole minute has past. That's a 20 second difference. 20!!! I'm fighting over steer which isn't hard in the McLaren P1 (car pointed straight, hit gas, makes right turn, steering not required; what is this the RUF Yellow Bird????). Changed to the RUF RGT 8 and it was better but understeered on entry then oversteer then driftu (looked good but not what I intended), then straight, then tail out (why I don't know), etc.!!! I've tried other cars too. The only place that I seem to do okay at is Willow Springs and even there I know I'm WAY off my GT6 pace.

I can't get a setting that works (I've been on the forums trying everything). I'm starting to wonder if I got a Thrustmaster wheel, my issues will go away.

Short answer is NO.

Long answer is I am on PS4 too, have nearly 120 hours in career mode in PCARS and have a Fanatec Porsche GT2 wheel and CSP V1 and it is great (in GT5/6) but is un-driveable in PCARS. I have switched to a Thrustmaster T300 and it has it own issues.

*IF* your wheel does not have the huge dead spot in the centre then stick with the Fanatec.

I am finding the grip levels are different between the two games and the road tyres in PCARS is similar to comfort softs (or harder) in GT6. Also there is not a lot of cars to do a direct comparison on with the two games. Also I am finding I dislike driving the road cars in PCARS because of the way they drive - very wallowy and skaty.

I hope this helps.

I think your problem is you are expecting the game to be as easy as GT6. Don't expect to be driving around smashing lap records like a driving god and you'll be fine. You're likely faster in GT6 because in GT6 it is incredibly easy to drive faster than possible irl. A good example is how easy it is to beat Ayrton Senna's real lap times in the same car in game.

As far as the P1 stepping out without steering, have you ever stomped the throttle to the floor in a car with over 900 horsepower? Don't use GT6 as the benchmark for how a real car should drive.

Once you downgrade tyres in GT6 then things become more reasonable.

I did some testing at some point and concluded:
- semi-slick road tyres = comfort softs
- medium racing slicks = sports softs

So if you want to compare a GT3 race car between PC sims and GT6 you should run it on SS tyres, if you want to compare a sports or super car use CS - preferably with ABS disabled since ABS in GT6 gives a kind of stability control which makes cornering much easier..

You'll learn how to feather the throttle and brake carefully like that, both in GT6 and in the kinds of sims which don't give you extra grippy tyres by default.

Once you downgrade tyres in GT6 then things become more reasonable.

I did some testing at some point and concluded:
- semi-slick road tyres = comfort softs
- medium racing slicks = sports softs

So if you want to compare a GT3 race car between PC sims and GT6 you should run it on SS tyres, if you want to compare a sports or super car use CS - preferably with ABS disabled since ABS in GT6 gives a kind of stability control which makes cornering much easier..

You'll learn how to feather the throttle and brake carefully like that, both in GT6 and in the kinds of sims which don't give you extra grippy tyres by default.

Except in GT6 it specifically states that sports tyres are the type of semi-slick high performance road tyre, and racing tyres are racing slicks. It's not just the tyre model that makes GT6 unrealistic either. The weight, suspension and aero simulations are a fair way off what Project CARS has achieved.

You shouldn't be making concessions for the flawed physics in GT6 to compare the two games. Pretending road tyres are racing slicks for the sake of making the comparison more fair to GT6 is like saying you should put ridiculously unrealistic suspension and diff settings in GT6 to better simulate the body roll or traction characteristics of the car. Like saying the game is more realistic if you only ever use the softest suspension settings and a completely locked diff to try slow the car down to a more realistic lap time.

Back