Should I get Assetto Corsa?

• Thread starter rj5992
  • 29 comments

Will getting AC spoil PC2?

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
First off, no I've not put this in the wrong thread, I've intentionally posted this here to get the opinion of PC2 players.

I've been playing PC2 for a year now and I've been really enjoying it, I'm on PS4 so it's my first proper 'sim' and it's been a breathe of fresh air compared to years of assinine tyre-squealing handling courtesy of Gran Turismo.

But...the Ultimate Edition of Assetto Corsa is £14.24 on the PS Store at the moment and I'm wondering if I should get it. 197 cars for that money is hard to say no to.

My main concern is that it'll spoil PC2 for me. I know people rave about the Force Feedback in Assetto Corsa and complain about it in PC2, but I've done lots of tweaking and I'm perfectly happy with the way PC2 feels for me at the moment. I've seen a few people complain that they cannot match Assetto Corsa's FFB in PC2 and I'm concerned that if I get it it'll spoil the PC2 experience. At the end of the day, I don't know what I'm missing if I haven't experienced it.

So I basically want to know if any of you have got them both and can help me. I'm not concerned about value for money or content/ lack of features. It's purely the driving experience I'm concerned about. Even though it's £14, it's not worth it to me if it's going to marr my experience of PC2 as I'm involved in a great classic racing championship and the quality and type of racing I get there is far more important to me.

AC, it's good, but now I've got my FFB set up just right in PC2 I don't find AC that much better. It's not a total game changer it just "feels" different.

To be honest I haven't used it recently since I'm almost exclusively in PC2.

But for 14 quid I'd say it's definitely worth a go just to get the driving experience with the different cars and tracks. And I know you are a car enthusiast. ;)
But it's less of a "game" than PC2 - which I think makes the SMS offering more complete.

Oh and I found the AI to be fairly good as well in the races I've tried.

AC, it's good, but now I've got my FFB set up just right in PC2 I don't find AC that much better. It's not a total game changer it just "feels" different.

But for 14 quid I'd say it's definitely worth a go just to get the driving experience with the different cars and tracks. And I know you are a car enthusiast. ;)
But it's less of a "game" than PC2 - which I think makes the SMS offering more complete.

What FFB settings are you using that you got it close to AC?

What FFB settings are you using that you got it close to AC?
It's just a G29, depending on the cars, using variations of 86/30/60/0 either with Raw or informative.

And as I said that after all the patches to PC2 I don't jump into AC and go "wow, this is so much better". It might have the edge in subtlety but I don't find it a night and day difference. PC2s evolving track surfaces make up for any differences I think.

I like both games and while AC might have the edge in driving feel I find that PC2 gives a better overall racing experience.

I'd say yes, go for it, definitely for that price.

The game (career) aspect is pretty lame, and not up to PC2, but if you treat it for it really is, which is a sandbox driving and racing sim, then it's very good indeed. It's not without it's share of bugs however, but for 15 quid you can't go wrong really, and at that price it's well worth exploring and having as an alternative to PC2.

Oh, and don't worry. AC won't spoil PC2, It's different, but it's more of a flavour thing rather than one being obviously superior to the other.

I'd say yes, go for it, definitely for that price.

The game (career) aspect is pretty lame, and not up to PC2, but if you treat it for it really is, which is a sandbox driving and racing sim, then it's very good indeed. It's not without it's share of bugs however, but for 15 quid you can't go wrong really, and at that price it's well worth exploring and having as an alternative to PC2.

Oh, and don't worry. AC won't spoil PC2, It's different, but it's more of a flavour thing rather than one being obviously superior to the other.

Brilliant, thanks for the help guys!

Yeah, I just went and bought it. Cheers for the tip as well, if it sounds more beefy than project cars then my neighbours are going to love me!

It‘s not really beefier, just louder than your average PS game.

By the way, if you‘re interested in stretching your AC legs then head over to the CRAP AC Time Trials thread. There should be a new one starting tomorrow.

Have fun with AC. ;)

It‘s not really beefier, just louder than your average PS game

Ah okay. Still... I've had to listen to the screaming wife and kids enough. They can listen to some screaming Straight 6's and V's in return! ;)

By the way, if you‘re interested in stretching your AC legs then head over to the CRAP AC Time Trials thread. There should be a new one starting tomorrow.

Thanks for the link. I actually used to race with the CRAP guys back on GT5. I'll definitely have a crack if I've got the time.

Definitely I recommend you AC.
AC Ultimate Edition version pays all fun that you will have later. As @Slapped mentioned, you can practice on CRAP AC Time Trials, the club has very fast players, and sensations and feelings are really great (if you´re playing with a wheel, this would be the best option)

Definitely I recommend you AC.
AC Ultimate Edition version pays all fun that you will have later. As @Slapped mentioned, you can practice on CRAP AC Time Trials, the club has very fast players, and sensations and feelings are really great (if you´re playing with a wheel, this would be the best option)

You will find humans (like me) and you will find aliens - Like @HammyMansell hahaha.
But do not let me lie, physics and feelings are awesome.

Haha thanks speedy. Is there an ape class that I can join, human might be a bit of a stretch ;)

You will find humans (like me) and you will find aliens - Like @HammyMansell hahaha.
But do not let me lie, physics and feelings are awesome.

maxresdefault.jpg

You bet @speedy10, but i'm not sure about the colour though! :D

...the Ultimate Edition of Assetto Corsa is £14.24 on the PS Store at the moment and I'm wondering if I should get it. 197 cars for that money is hard to say no to.

For that incredibly low price, it's well worth the money imho (even for the non-moddable PS4 version). Just remember, it's more of a hot lap sim than a fully fledged game.

👍

VBR
For that incredibly low price, it's well worth the money imho (even for the non-moddable PS4 version). Just remember, it's more of a hot lap sim than a fully fledged game.

👍

Other than the lack of tracks it's great. One of the worst multiplayer experiences though.

Thanks for the advice guys. I did get it for the hot lap/ single player race part rather than the multilayer. I love the organised League multilayer on PC2 too much to replace it with AC.

VBR

👍
Completely agree with this guy. Take in acount that you will enjoy it doing some hot laps or races against IA. Maybe you can make a tournament with friends. But be aware that it’s not a gt sport or pcars 2 - online modes.

First off, no I've not put this in the wrong thread, I've intentionally posted this here to get the opinion of PC2 players.

I've been playing PC2 for a year now and I've been really enjoying it, I'm on PS4 so it's my first proper 'sim' and it's been a breathe of fresh air compared to years of assinine tyre-squealing handling courtesy of Gran Turismo.

But...the Ultimate Edition of Assetto Corsa is £14.24 on the PS Store at the moment and I'm wondering if I should get it. 197 cars for that money is hard to say no to.

My main concern is that it'll spoil PC2 for me. I know people rave about the Force Feedback in Assetto Corsa and complain about it in PC2, but I've done lots of tweaking and I'm perfectly happy with the way PC2 feels for me at the moment. I've seen a few people complain that they cannot match Assetto Corsa's FFB in PC2 and I'm concerned that if I get it it'll spoil the PC2 experience. At the end of the day, I don't know what I'm missing if I haven't experienced it.

So I basically want to know if any of you have got them both and can help me. I'm not concerned about value for money or content/ lack of features. It's purely the driving experience I'm concerned about. Even though it's £14, it's not worth it to me if it's going to marr my experience of PC2 as I'm involved in a great classic racing championship and the quality and type of racing I get there is far more important to me.

As usual I'm a bit late to the party! I bought AC Ultimate Edition (disc version for £25) for the Front engine F1 cars - the Maserati 250F six cylinder and V12 versions.

I would sum up my feelings overall as underwhelmed! Most of the cars in the list are duplicates / triplicates etc. so the actual number is much lower and there are very few tracks - plus the fantasy ones are truly dreadful - lacking in any detail or character. Personally I don't like the graphics which seemed very dull and lifeless. Little, if any strategic thought appears to have been put into the car selection, particularly the classics - with the result that they don't fit together in a logical way.

However - the feeling from some of the cars and tracks is excellent which makes the game well worth the money. Some of the tracks seem / feel a lot more realistic than the ones in PC2. The Porsche RS61 is sublime! There are several really great classic / historic race cars which I know you will enjoy thoroughly @rj5992

As usual I'm a bit late to the party!

I don't think you're too late, perhaps fashionably late... :lol:

Thanks for your input Sick, like you it was the different selection of classics to PC2 that piqued my interest.

I had a look through the car list last night and I know what you mean regarding the different versions of cars reducing the actual number over the total number of cars. The variation reminded me somewhat of the older GT games, just on a reduced scale, what with seemingly more emphasis on road cars to race cars.

I know what you mean about the graphics as well having watched some videos on YouTube, I think the PC guys have a good deal with the access they have to mods like the Shaders mod and Sol.

Last edited:
I think you should get assetto competizione instead. I have never seen AC as a good simulator to be honest. It's got serious issues with the tyre model; the understeer problem, and so many other things that lead you to, instead of enjoying a ride on your favourite car, to feel like you are always battling it. There's also no weather, and the number of offical tracks dlc included is tiny.

However, the low price with all the DLC plus the fact it's got lots of modded tracks around that will offer you countless of fun (but probably alone remember that), already justifies its purchase. But as a simulator?, you must first try it and see it for yourself, but imo no way is among the best but the complete opposite actually.

I think you should get assetto competizione instead. I have never seen AC as a good simulator to be honest. It's got serious issues with the tyre model; the understeer problem, and so many other things that lead you to, instead of enjoying a ride on your favourite car, to feel like you are always battling it. There's also no weather, and the number of offical tracks dlc included is tiny.

However, the low price with all the DLC plus the fact it's got lots of modded tracks around that will offer you countless of fun (but probably alone remember that), already justifies its purchase. But as a simulator?, you must first try it and see it for yourself, but imo no way is among the best but the complete opposite actually.

I think he said he's on PS4 so mods and ACC are not possible.
If he were on PC, I'd scratch all of the above replies and recommend he buy rFactor 2, sign up on Discord and join us.

I think he said he's on PS4 so mods and ACC are not possible.
If he were on PC, I'd scratch all of the above replies and recommend he buy rFactor 2, sign up on Discord and join us.

Yeah, you're right Corsa, I am on PS4

So I had a few hours to get stuck in to Assetto Corsa last night.

Initial impressions are that you guys were bang on the money with your comments, so thank you very much!

I can see why people really like the FFB, and it's interesting to see the difference with my settings on PC2. I think AC gives a good feeling of weight to the car, and I feel more like I'm steering the car through a wheel rather than controlling and feeling the whole car. With my settings in PC2 I think I have a bit too much emphasis on weight transfer which sometimes results in a 'pendulum' effect that I'll now go back to try and remove.

Another thing I had to get used to was a comparative lack of feel on the brakes. I found it very hard to judge how much force I was applying to the brakes, sometimes having to use the indicator bars as a reference. I was getting better by the end though. I don't know what caused this, but it was an interesting thing to occur, and made threshold breaking impossible until I got used to it.

Thanks for all your help guys, I'll certainly enjoy getting my teeth into some hot lapping!

Jolly good, glad you're enjoying it.
With my settings in PC2 I think I have a bit too much emphasis on weight transfer which sometimes results in a 'pendulum' effect that I'll now go back to try and remove.
Try the immersive setting for more front end feel and less pendulum-ing. It makes it more AC like I believe. You'll probably have to lower the volume a little with immersive on a G27

Back