Should i get GT6?

• Thread starter Peugeot308
  • 27 comments
Slovenia
Slovenia
Hello everyone i came back to play some gt5 and im having allot of fun, i have been thinking if i should get gt6 from my local games store used for 15 €. What do you think guys and is gt6 even worth it, i heard the physics are worse but it doesnt bother me so you know. If i decide to get it anyways what has changed. Thanks for all the help

Hello everyone i came back to play some gt5 and im having allot of fun, i have been thinking if i should get gt6 from my local games store used for 15 €. What do you think guys and is gt6 even worth it, i heard the physics are worse but it doesnt bother me so you know. If i decide to get it anyways what has changed. Thanks for all the help

If you can update the game to its latest version, I'd say buy it. I find GT6 to better in almost every aspect than GT5. More cars, more tracks, slightly better graphics and much better physics. Plus online is still there so you can find races online within the awesome GTPlanet community. :)

Go ahead and get it. The game is cheap, and thanks to seasonal events credits are easy to get almost right away. The game is not perfect, but for the current price it is a great bargain. As good as it gets on PS3.

Be prepared for a long time updating though. Only way to get to the good stuff lol.

I'm a wheel user and personally I find the physics better than GT5 - the cars feel more realistic around corners especially when using less grippy tyres.and standard suspension.

In terms of changes from GT5 the roster of classic cars has been significantly improved from GT5 so you now have the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe, Shelby GT350 Mustang, Ferrari 250 GT and 250 GTO, Corvette C2 Coupe, Alpine A110S and Renault 8 Gordini, Lotus Europa Special, Ford GT40 and a few other great cars.

Compared with GT5 you get some extra tracks such as Brands Hatch, Willow Springs and Midfield - all excellent as well as Apricot Hill and Silverstone.

The ability to add race numbers to premium road cars has transformed the realism and look of online race championships.

The course maker has enabled talented people (not me) to create some great tracks - it is not as feature packed as I expected and was very late being released, but is still much better than the version in GT5.

Sounds are still mostly poor (like those in GT5), but I am still enjoying the game although for me 99% of the enjoyment comes from racing online with friends and sadly in the last few weeks that experience has been blighted by network instability / constant disconnections.

The car selection still includes too many MX5's, GTR's and the like and sometimes suggests a lack of understanding of how the game will be used online through failing to include the natural competitors to cars etc.

Quick Match has replaced Shuffle racing, but frankly it's awful being full of people who just want to ram you off the track - best avoided. There are new community features with lots of clubs that you can join - the best ones are featured in the online racing sections of GTPlanet.

Go ahead and buy as it will be well worth the money - the big downside for a newcomer is the large number of updates required to get the game up to the current spec - the offline game aspect is not terribly satisfying - the real pleasure comes from racing online against friends and you will need to update the game in order to do that.

...I wouldn't go for an used copy if I can help it. Depending on your broadband speed, why not go for a digital version, which should cost about the same amount of moolah? And avoid PS3 Bluray laser dying on you, making it rather cumbersome to play disc-based games. It happened to me before...:(

The main problem with the phsycis in GT6 compared to GT5 is that the force of aerodynamic drag is too low, which means that cars generally have a higher top speed than they should have, or that they hit the rev limiter too easily (especially for many cars from the 1970's, where they run out of gears at about 200 km/h).

The flip side of the coin is that increased downforce results in more drag than it did in GT5, which means that it's not always beneficial to run with max downforce. So that aspect I would say is more realistic than it was in GT5.

The suspension model and tyre model changed a lot as well. In GT5 the slicks tyres were the easiest to drive with and the comfort tyres the most difficult. In GT6 I'd say it's the other way around. Slicks are still the fastest tyres, but they can be very difficult to use on a car that doesn't have enough downforce. Slicks in the rain is lethal, especially with grip reduction set to 'real'. The suspension changes makes the cars feel more alive, there is more weight transfer going on.

Other than physics changes, there are graphics changes as well. The use of adaptive tesselation (models change resolution dynamically, depending on the distance from the camera and depending on how busy the scene is) means that the cars that utilizes that feature have an insanely high resolution in cockpit view and in photomode. The Ford GT40 Mark I for instance.

Night driving has improved as well. The number of cars that cast light on the track has been reduced from GT5, but the quality of the light has improved a lot. Sunsets and sunrises, on tracks where they're available, are epic. Willow Springs in the twilight hours has an amazing atmosphere!

The rain effects on the windscreen improved in quality, but dropped in quantity. Each individual drop is better but there are fewer of them. In GT5 you could hardly see the road without windscreen wipers (try the Infiniti Coupe Concept, for instance), while in GT6 you can drive in the rain with the wipers off and be perfectly fine. On the plus side you've actually got control of the wipers in GT6, while in GT5 they were automatic...

The car customization improved. There are more optional parts for the cars, the paint chips are no longer consumed when you use them, you get a preview of the car in the selected paint (in GT5 you had to paint the car before you could see the end result), you can create custom wings and install custom cockpit gauges, there are more wheels to pick from and you can add a racing number to your car.

Damage and dirt looks better than it did in GT5. The mesh warp system used in GT5 (which produced a kind of melting look) has been replaced by bump maps and textures. You can't get as extreme visual damage as in GT5 - it's limited to dents and scratches in GT6 - but I'd argue that it's a graphical improvement as it looks more realistic.

Mechanical damage improved. It's a very interesting experience to try to make it back to the pit with broken suspension!

Online stability is actually better than it was in GT5, although the past three weeks have been pretty bad during the weekends. There is a problem with invisible cars though (which seems to depend on how good your connection is), so it's far from perfect.

Far too much crap being sprouted here. If you like gt5 you'll like GT6. Forget the rubbish about the bluray dying, it can happen anytime, including watching a movie. At least you can sell a hard copy. And forget personal opinions on physics etc. You liked gt5, you'll like GT6, end of story.

Far too much crap being sprouted here. If you like gt5 you'll like GT6. Forget the rubbish about the bluray dying, it can happen anytime, including watching a movie. At least you can sell a hard copy. And forget personal opinions on physics etc. You liked gt5, you'll like GT6, end of story.
Well, your name about hits the nail on the head doesn't it?

Regardless, he makes a good point of if you liked GT5, you'll like GT6, plus. If you haven't gotten it in the last 3 years, everything will be new to you. So, you'll be good. Plus, you'll have everything we waited around for ages for. Have fun with it man, and like @JKgo said, if your PS3 is older, I'd opt for the download if you can.

Well, your name about hits the nail on the head doesn't it?

Regardless, he makes a good point of if you liked GT5, you'll like GT6, plus. If you haven't gotten it in the last 3 years, everything will be new to you. So, you'll be good. Plus, you'll have everything we waited around for ages for. Have fun with it man, and like @JKgo said, if your PS3 is older, I'd opt for the download if you can.
My name suggests the opposite actually
I suggested he buys it.
And for that money, he can play it and resell it if he doesn't like it.

there is absolutely zero evidence that GT6 kills bluray

Last edited:
My name suggests the opposite actually
I suggested he buys it.
And for that money, he can play it and resell it if he doesn't like it.

there is absolutely zero evidence that GT6 kills bluray
I don't think you got the joke, and Blurays die in older PS3s, that's all I was saying.

Sorry if I missed the joke.
And of course PS3s run out of puff.
Just as top line bluray players
Dual layer bluray discs are just that
And if your bluray disc player fails to be able to read/focus the barcode associated to both layers, it will fail to read all necessary data
That equates to PS3s and top line bluray players.
An old PS3 isn't a direct qualifier
That's my point
Op could well have a new PS3
I note noone has asked, just assumed.
I also doubt the download version is as cheap as the shop version
But guaranteed you can resell it

Last edited:

Did you even read the posts? Everyone so far said that GT6 is good and that he should get it. He asked for some info about what has changed, and that is what he got.

I guess it depends how much you play online, @Peugeot308. GT5 had better career mode and offline activities for me, but since the servers are shut down, there is no reason to play it. If you don't use online mode that often, then you might be better of with Gt5. But if you do, get GT6. There are legions of fun lobbies and clibs out there.

No. Trade in all your Playstation stuff and get an X1 and FM6 :cool:

Yes, buy the game. But if you ever report back to GTPlanet, steer clear of the Whining and Crying thread, it's full of people who have sat behind a monitor for almost three years saying "lol vacoom sowndz" thinking it will get them +1000 comedy and popularity points. They've been doing it since GT5 too. For some reason they get enjoyment out of beating a dead horse's skeleton. Beats me.

Buy the game because now, after almost three years for some reason it's the best time to pick this game up with loads of content and an amazing price. It's given me three good years of content, and I think it's well worth the investment.

The online community on this site is amazing. But it's often burried under tonnes of negativity and trolls. If you find the right part of GTP to be in, you'll be here a lot more often. The Duel of the Week is a pretty solid club, it gives us something to look forward to until GT Sport. Get GT6, after all this time it's now complete and a solid game.

And I know I won't be able to post this without causing a controversy, because being optimistic about GT6 and enjoying it seems to be the unpopular opinion around here. :indiff:

Last edited:
Yes, buy the game. But if you ever report back to GTPlanet, steer clear of the Whining and Crying thread, it's full of people who have sat behind a monitor for almost three years saying "lol vacoom sowndz" thinking it will get them +1000 comedy and popularity points. They've been doing it since GT5 too. For some reason they get enjoyment out of beating a dead horse's skeleton. Beats me.

Buy the game because now, after almost three years for some reason it's the best time to pick this game up with loads of content and an amazing price. It's given me three good years of content, and I think it's well worth the investment.

The online community on this site is amazing. But it's often burried under tonnes of negativity and trolls. If you find the right part of GTP to be in, you'll be here a lot more often. The Duel of the Week is a pretty solid club, it gives us something to look forward to until GT Sport. Get GT6, after all this time it's now complete and a solid game.

And I know I won't be able to post this without causing a controversy, because being optimistic about GT6 and enjoying it seems to be the unpopular opinion around here. :indiff:
Don't worry, I've ran one full year of GT6 online racing with a french community and the races were just magnificient, I really like GT6 too for many reasons.

I would stick with GT5 and wait for GT:S; not really worth it at this stage in the games life.

But, it's your money, so go ahead.

I bought mine just last December and have been having loads of fun with it. Gotten me addicted actually. The game is great.
When the next release eventually comes out hopefully in this decade I intend to buy it also along with a PS4 to play it.

If you're interested in a friendly competitive online racing league, check out SNAIL. Snailracing.org will take you to the main page. We have our own dedicated section of the Racing Leagues forum. Our main night is Sunday but there are events almost every night of the week.

Latest Posts

Back