Should I get this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mazda Mazda
  • 17 comments
  • 1,346 views
Messages
79
Messages
SSJ3_Raditz
I've always missed playing GT4 on my PS2(my parents sold the PS2 and I stopped going here:ouch: ) and I've been thinking of getting GT5. I've been waiting for it ever since I got a PS3 for Christmas, but from some time lurking around on this forum, it seems to be worse than GT4.

From what I heard, the game lacks several of my favorite courses(No Citta di Aria or Test Course:grumpy: ), still has 50 Skylines, very bad damage, RPG style leveling, all standard cars can only be bought in used car dealerships, still has zombie AI, no mechanical damage, only 50 cars at arcade from the start, and etc. It feels depressing.

Should I get this? Or should I wait for GT6 as what GT3 is to GT4, GT5 is to GT6.
 
If you've got a PS3, then without a doubt you should get it, but I certainly wouldn't buy a PS3 just for this game though.

It has a ton of issues, but there is some good in there too.
 
As my user name shows, I've been harbouring similar thoughts for months. I think if you have the curiosity to post a thread like this, then you probably should buy it to try it out. If I end up buying it and hating it, well there's always Heavy Rain and PES11 (Winning Eleven) to fall back on.
 
It's the best Gran Turismo so you'd probably like it, yeah.
 
If you like Pokemon and Cars. You will love GT5.

And as much as people complain about Zombie AI, we're also following the racing line, if they weren't following the race line we would probably complain about how Stupid the AI is.
And even furthermore, only two people worked on the game AI if you look at the Credits.
 
Why did your parents sell your Ps2 ?
 
... or buy a copy of GT5P on the cheap...
 
I guess our expectations were just too high after 6 years. But even if there are those typical PD imperfections mixed with typical PD perfection, I still enjoy it very much.

The physics are very enjoyable to me.

I like better than GT4:
• Treshold braking
• weight-shift induced corner entry oversteer
• Tire squealing sound
• the precisely defined transition when you start losing grip
• the Nürburgring
• the looks, of course
• the fact that you can spin other cars when you crash into them
• Tire marks
• the AI (i didn't expect it to change at all, but it changed quite a bit)

I still dislike:
• Engine sounds (even if many say they are vastly improved)
• that my favourite cars aren't in
• the damage (until I've seen something realistic myself)
• maybe the pixelated shadows

I bought a PS3 just for GT5 and I don't regret it so far. But of course it depends also on how much you have to pay for one and what that means economically for you.
 
It's the best Gran Turismo so you'd probably like it, yeah.

I would dispute this. I think Gt5P for the PS3 is the best game, purely because it was leaps and bounds better than GT4 on the PS2.

GT5, whilst being a good game, isn't more technically or asthetically better than GT5P which is why I have said what I have.

But hey, that's the beauty of these Forums, everyone has their own opinions.
 
If you liked GT4 and own a PS3 then of course you should buy it. It does have problems but the great things grossly outweigh them. Every game has problems and you know how people love to focus on the negative side. Just like in the real world, if you do something wrong people will freak out on you but if you do something right they probably won't notice you did anything at all.
 
I would dispute this. I think Gt5P for the PS3 is the best game, purely because it was leaps and bounds better than GT4 on the PS2.

GT5, whilst being a good game, isn't more technically or asthetically better than GT5P which is why I have said what I have.

But hey, that's the beauty of these Forums, everyone has their own opinions.

however gt5p is essentially a demo for this game, so does that really count
 
GT5, whilst being a good game, isn't more technically or asthetically better than GT5P which is why I have said what I have.
Aesthetically it's no better but technically it is, it has damage, rain, snow, tuning and improved physics. Sure the jump from GT5:P to GT5 isn't as large as from GT4 to GT5:P but that doesn't prevent GT5 from being better than GT5:P. which you prefer is all down to opinion, but I can't agree that GT5 isn't technically better than GT5:P because it is.

GT5 is imo the best GT game to date, before this it was GT3.
 
Aesthetically it's no better but technically it is, it has damage, rain, snow, tuning and improved physics. Sure the jump from GT5:P to GT5 isn't as large as from GT4 to GT5:P but that doesn't prevent GT5 from being better than GT5:P. which you prefer is all down to opinion, but I can't agree that GT5 isn't technically better than GT5:P because it is.

GT5 is imo the best GT game to date, before this it was GT3.

I'm obviously blind!

Where's the damage in GT5? I turned to speak to my other half at the end of a long straight and plowed straight into the wall. Drove off no problems, car didn't even show signs of a scratch
 
I've always missed playing GT4 on my PS2(my parents sold the PS2 and I stopped going here:ouch: ) and I've been thinking of getting GT5. I've been waiting for it ever since I got a PS3 for Christmas, but from some time lurking around on this forum, it seems to be worse than GT4.

From what I heard, the game lacks several of my favorite courses(No Citta di Aria or Test Course:grumpy: ), still has 50 Skylines, very bad damage, RPG style leveling, all standard cars can only be bought in used car dealerships, still has zombie AI, no mechanical damage, only 50 cars at arcade from the start, and etc. It feels depressing.

Should I get this? Or should I wait for GT6 as what GT3 is to GT4, GT5 is to GT6.
This is what is missing from the game. I would suggest it as a rental because yes, a lot of this game is a step backward from GT4.

Look at this list carfully before you buy the game. I would actually recommend GT5P over GT5 by a longshot.

GT5 problem list
-Standard cars are TERRIBLE. Should be removed from the game.
-Standard car graphics are a step backward from GT4/GT3
-No inside view with standard cars
-Shadows in the game create a lot of graphic problems on both standard and premium cars. Really really bad on standard cars
-Cant take standard cars to the photo travel
-Cant zoom in on the standard cars with the on track photomode
-Audio is a bit strange and does not sound that good on the interior view. Sounds best on roof cam view (I hate that view)
-No spin around cinematic view after unlocking cars for completing events. Now you have the stupid Car Delivery. Which is terrible.
-Cant change wheels on standard cars
-No inside view on standard cars
-If you purchase wheels and change them, you have to re-purchase the wheels again.
-Some of the load screens are very long
-Online play is a bit rough right now with disconnect issues or freezing
-Piano pounding intro music is terrible. GT4 opening cinema was better
-Damage is just a complete joke even with premium. Takes a good 10-15 minutes of crashing to get results
-Used car dealership only carries standard cars
-No mechanical damage. You can drop from 6th gear to 1st gear with no mechanical damage at all.
-Almost impossible to get flames out of the exhaust
-Cars are dry when its raining
-No huge rewards for completing an entire event. Beginner events for example did not reward with any extra cash even with all gold
-During replays we cant fast forward or rewind.
-Buying parts does not increase the value of a car. So if you put $100,000 in parts into your car, you dont get any credit for it.
-Much of this game feels like a step backward from GT4.
-cant buy brakes
-cant fine tune the transmission. In fact there is almost no tuning at all for the transmission.
-cant change the tire pressure
-cant tell where my tires are wearing out. Inside, outside, too much camber, not enough camber??
-Only 17 cars get racing modifications
 
If you have a PS3 then yes, get it, but dont come in expecting some revolutionary racing game, it's really not.
 
I'm not a fan of GT's single player modes, but GT5 made it worse. Leveling is pointless, it just makes it take longer to get cars and races. The used car system makes it difficult to even get 80% of the cars. There's no more GT2 Red Rock Valley, win Speed 12, sell method of making money. The major engine upgrades are now permanent like weight reduction.

Ignoring that though, the physics are the best in the series and online is a lot of fun. The online is what makes the game worth buying. It does not feature AI, it does not feature races with mismatched cars [hopefully], and you can practically come up with any kind of event you want. It all about driving online.
 
Back