Should qualifying for FIA races be full ghost mode?

• Thread starter LOCKED1976
  • 23 comments

Should FIA race qualifying be non-contact?

• Yes, that would be fairer for everyone.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • No, it's fine the way it is.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • Keep contact, but make qualifying longer.

Votes: 22 32.4%

• Total voters
Canada
Toronto
LOCKED1976
L0CK3D
Sometimes it's very difficult to find enough clean track to put in a decent qualifying lap. If you get out first and are fast with no mistakes, you're good or if you wait until there is a big gap, it's not too bad, but I've seen many times where several people get completely shafted during qualifying. I think it would be more fair if everyone was full ghost (zero contact) during the qual session. Thoughts? Does anyone see a negative to this?

I searched for another thread on this topic, but didn't find one. If this post is duplicated somewhere, my apologies.

I vote yes. I love the way qualifying is set up on FIA races, but the physical contact can get annoying and creates unfair conditions for everyone

Voted for ghosting, I've so far only done one FIA race and during qualifying for that one and only race I got punted off the track and also got impeded for a lap. I got one flying lap at the end of it all.

well having 10+second per lap difference in the field and time penalties for passing a crashed car on yellow flag is just so realistic.

I was in one qual session with doodle, snow and gator and snow got taken out a few times during that qual so he was due to start 14th. I sure as heck didn't want to have snow on my butt or feel like I'm holding him up. He should have been up in the top 3, but 10 minutes minus the useless outlap, doesn't give everyone a lot of time to put in a good lap.

If not non-contact, I agree with steven, qualifying should be longer.

Last edited:
Not sure how I feel about it tbh... in previous GT's (5+6?) there was the option for "Race Alone" during qualifying where all you'd see was the lines that had the name associated with it. So it's not without precedent in the world of Gran Turismo. Also, in the daily's you Q alone getting your "best" time possible and place on the grid according to that time you've acheived.

As for the "need to find clear track" aspect... well that's what the race is all about. But, it does add realistic pressure to it. Not sure what I like better, as both options have their pros and cons.

Good question though.

Cheers

I think qualifying for the FIA races should stay in the same format but should be longer. No ghosting. If you can’t find clear track, tough ****.

I also think the qualifying for the dailies needs to change. Here, times should at least be car specific. Even better would be the need to qualify before each race during the free practice time after joining each specific race. Not just running qualifying before the entry actually opens.

Im a no vote. I would love to see the qualifiers last15min minimum, but I like the FIA qualifier purely because it is different from other qualifiers in sport mode.

Typically I just wait until the bulk of the lead pack has made it halfway around the track before i start. This puts me by myself most of the time with only a few overtakes to worry about with crashes. I like that these qualifiers are more difficult and actually give a better measure of your in race speed in traffic.

In hindsight, I should have added an option in the poll for keep contact, but make qualifying session longer. I'm a bit new here, I don't know if I can edit the poll already posted.

Edit, I found the little edit button on the poll :)

Longer would be better, yet I don't want to spend more time qualifying than actually racing.

Sometimes it works in your advantage. I manged to draft pass 3 nicely spaced out cars on the straight on Tokyo Express in a FIA race to get a much faster qualifying time than I normally can. Started in pole, 3rd took out 2nd in the first corner, result pile-up, easy win, although quite lonely out front for that long.

Perhaps the game should enforce a 3 sec gap between releasing people. Higher DR goes first. And extend the qualifying round to let everyone finish their last lap (within reason)

In real races you have to find those gaps in traffic, time your runs, pass slower cars so i vote No, with that some more time to set a lap would be beneficial but not an absolute requirement.

Apart from above, the game is designed the way the game is, learn the rules of the game and play to them to the best of your ability. That's pretty much how all computer games work, a set of rules (programmed) that you need to play within.

I love the format as it is.

Those that dont think just go forth and try and get a quick lap with all the others that think this is a quick way.

Others use tactics and hope for a clearer track, yet loose any possible advantage of having a slip streaming tow in traffic. sometimes one is faster, sometimes the other. Just like real life.

It should be 15mins long, that reduces the pressure on people to go nose to tail out of pit lane out of speed order and ruin laps for people.

Also the timer should go down to zero but should possibly allow laps to count as long as you crossed the line before the timer expired.

This is especially needed on long tracks for Gr.4 and below like Lake Maggiore, Bathurst, Nurburgring and others over the 2 min mark, because in reality you'll only get 2 shots, maaaaaybe 3 if you're that good.

I vote no, but ,if the game let us finish the last lap after the time runs out would be great.

90% of time i wait to be the last , and 90% of that the game park my car in the first box (the farthest from the exit) ....:lol::lol: GTS is tracking me?

I vote yes.

If you get out first you have a massive advantage due to clear track. If everyone was of a consistent speed then I don't think that it would be an issue, but in many cases there are 20-30 second gaps between the fastest and slowest cars, if you come across these cars they rarely move out the way they either sit on racing lines or have very little control over the car and you have to worry about them getting in your way.

I would be happier if it was fully ghosted and set up as a 1 lap qualification.

Yes but with a better (I think) option. Instead of ghosting simply allow everyone their own track with enough time for 2 or 3 laps (depending on the length of the track). Thus everyone qualifies at the same time. This would also allow an overall shorter time span because, at present, the first out lap is useless and takes unnecessary time.

Some say no because real racing isn't like that. The problem with real racing is that it is forced on the sport because of time limits. Some racing series try to solve the problem by staggered qualifying (like Indy and F1), but it is not ideal and it still takes a long time. In a virtual world, this is not a problem because everyone can have the ability to qualify on a lone track at the same time.

In this sense, virtual racing is actually a purer sport than real racing, because the cars, tires, and tracks can be made identical for everyone, and there's no need for safety issues (full course yellows, red flags, etc.). You can't do that in real racing. Why not use the advantage of the virtual world to make racing better?

well having 10+second per lap difference in the field and time penalties for passing a crashed car on yellow flag is just so realistic.

I was in one qual session with doodle, snow and gator and snow got taken out a few times during that qual so he was due to start 14th. I sure as heck didn't want to have snow on my butt or feel like I'm holding him up. He should have been up in the top 3, but 10 minutes minus the useless outlap, doesn't give everyone a lot of time to put in a good lap.

If not non-contact, I agree with steven, qualifying should be longer.
Was that Suzuka?
If it was, I watched it live.

At the same time, I think a good strategy is to run your first lap safely (not like stupid slow, but not all out) so you can get a decent lap time in. Then start running your hotlaps.

I had a guy coming out of pits about 2 mins after qualifying started who decided to battle me into turn 1 on Dragons Trail last night while I was on a flying lap and ended up spinning me out. I'm DR A/SR S and he was DR D/SR S, I'm going to assume he didn't know I was there and is was a mistake - but it was still annoying. I only ended up with one good flying lap after the dust settled.

The FIA race last night on Dragons Tail, I had problems getting a clean qualifying run because cars were wiping out or blocking my path as I was trying to go as fast as possible- hence I ended up qualifying 13th whereas i could've gotten 6-7th at least. I even went slow on the first lap to make room, but I guess other drivers had the same idea.

Definitely needs to be ghosted or race alone. The other alternative would be to make it longer. 10 minutes isn't enough on all but the shortest tracks, given the fact that you lose the out lap. Finding a gap doesn't always help because people realize they need room and let off the person ahead, which eventually rubber bands to you and then the gap is gone. The best gap that I've found is to wait until most of the field has gone out and are quite a ways around the track. You lose some qualy time, but it's the biggest gap you're going to get, barring someone going off track and ending up in your space.

Ideally, slower drivers would just move aside, but we all know how that works out. Unfortunately, there's no blue flags implemented in the game. It would do away with a lot of the b.s. in qualy and with lapped drivers in longer races.

Was that Suzuka?
If it was, I watched it live.
I don't remember 100%, but I think it was Suzuka. It was not one of my finer races. Pretty sure I finished near the back of the pack, despite qualifying somewhere in the middle.

Anyway 10 minutes in traffic and a throwaway first lap just isn't ideal for fair qualifying, IMO

I like it the way it is, I wouldn't be against longer sessions either. Some ignoramuses just need to learn to get out of the way of others when they screw up their lap.

edit: I wish they would let us finish the lap when the timer is out too.

Last edited:
I love the intensity of it, it's like a game within a game. ^^ as above I would like to finish the lap I'm on, but you know someone will be driving around the track backwards or parked up and gone for a smoke.

Back