Should Seasonal Events be permanent?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Destinkeys
  • 25 comments
  • 2,770 views
Status
Not open for further replies.

Destinkeys

(Banned)
Messages
1,199
Messages
Destinkeys
As short as GT5 is on A-Spec events, it seems a bit of a shame that the Seasonal Events get closed down so quickly. Personally, I have found them to be quite fun if you don't overpower your way through them, better than some of the regular A-Spec, to be frank. For those that like going back and re-doing races, should the Seasonals simply be added to A-Spec, so you can do them over and over at your convenience?

At least this way, gradually GT5 will get it's A-Spec count back up to GT4's count, rather than only having a couple of races fresh per month or so, soon to be gone.

They would probably have to revamp the prize structure, but basically, as you keep adding to A-Spec, the amount you need to level up diminishes, on a per-race basis. Currently, they are at insane levels just to compensate for how few A-Spec races there are. Maybe this would be a gradual, and noticeable help?
 
They really wouldnt be seasonal now would they?

You have 2 weeks to complete them, then new ones. Nothing wrong with that formula.
 
If I had to guess in some respects the Seasonal events are part of a frequency strategy by PD. By making them limited you are basically encouraged to log in at least once per week so that means GT5 in your PS3 once per week.

With any product maintaining frequency of use is paramount. Creates top of mind awareness. I think this will be especially crucial up front as they try to refine the online model to drive long term use. If you don't keep people engaged you risk losing them to other games and maintaining a user is easier (and likely cheaper) than reengaging a lost user.
 
I'd like that. All the ones I missed would be there when the summer comes, and I'd probably make 10,000,000 in one sitting.

Though for fixing A-Spec, I say no. They aren't races, and that's what A-Spec truly needs. If the goal is to fix A-Spec, PD's time would be better spent creating race series with decent length and upgrading the AI.
 
Seasonal events should be weekly, imo, and no cars restrictions at all.
 
If the goal is to fix A-Spec, PD's time would be better spent creating race series with decent length and upgrading the AI.

Especially that last part. ;)

It would be kinda cool to be able to get to the seasonal events you missed, but at the same time, since they're "extra events" I don't mind missing them too much. There were several from 1, 2, and 3 that I didn't get around to getting the required car for before they expired. Oh well, life goes on.
 
They were simply PD's reaction to the mass of complaints regarding exp and credits or the lack of them I should say and the online dealership was their reaction to the complaints of people not being able to find the right type of car for days when they needed one (Formula GT as the prime example. The seasonal events were only there for that reason, exp and cash and now people have done a fair bit of levelling up and made quite a few million from them, there's no way they'll keep them going.
 
If I had to guess in some respects the Seasonal events are part of a frequency strategy by PD. By making them limited you are basically encouraged to log in at least once per week so that means GT5 in your PS3 once per week.

With any product maintaining frequency of use is paramount. Creates top of mind awareness. I think this will be especially crucial up front as they try to refine the online model to drive long term use. If you don't keep people engaged you risk losing them to other games and maintaining a user is easier (and likely cheaper) than reengaging a lost user.

👍
 
I haven't paid attention to the rest of the seasonal events, but the new DTM one is the same as the German Touring Championship race, just with spread out opponents & a big payout.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the more creative seasonal events becoming permanent, as long as the current payout from the races is cut to a reasonable amount; otherwise, we'd have new grinding races.
 
If they were seasonal wouldn't they last all season ?
 
Dont see a point if you win all the CR and XP. What would the point of replaying them be?
 
They really wouldnt be seasonal now would they?

You have 2 weeks to complete them, then new ones. Nothing wrong with that formula.

👍 This.
 
They really wouldnt be seasonal now would they?

You have 2 weeks to complete them, then new ones. Nothing wrong with that formula.

Pretty much this.
 
It only takes me a hour to do all 5 races, so at this point, I just want more. Also, anybody else like the current setup, where you win the seasonal with a completely stock car for a bit of a challenge.
 
It only takes me a hour to do all 5 races, so at this point, I just want more. Also, anybody else like the current setup, where you win the seasonal with a completely stock car for a bit of a challenge.

PD removed the restrictions because people complained about them all over twitter and forums like these. Now people are complaining that they are gone all over twitter and forums like these. :crazy:


Seasonal events should be seasonal. I'd like to see some proper off the start line RACES though. Rally events would be nice.

And some experience for leaderboard time trials and drift trials.
 
PD removed the restrictions because people complained about them all over twitter and forums like these. Now people are complaining that they are gone all over twitter and forums like these. :crazy:

It's no different than politics! :dunce:

I personally like it that they have the Unrestricted events. If you want to restrict yourself for the challenge, then you can. If you're not very good at the game or don't really take the Seasonal Events seriously, you can mod your car and win it much easier, then go on with your life. 👍
 
The seasonal events are fine as they stand.
 
The seasonal events are fine as they stand.

Yep. Don't bother with the format that's in place currently. The seasonal events are tracks that we already have so it won't be adding anything. Give us new tracks to add to A-spec.
 
It's no different than politics! :dunce:

I personally like it that they have the Unrestricted events. If you want to restrict yourself for the challenge, then you can. If you're not very good at the game or don't really take the Seasonal Events seriously, you can mod your car and win it much easier, then go on with your life. 👍

I agree, I'm just pointing out the ironicity of it all :)
 
OK, perhaps a poorly explained question on my behalf... Whether they get added to A-Spec, or the Special Events (if you feel that 'chases' don't belong in A-Spec), gradually, A-Spec and the Specials gradually increase. We got only about 30% of GT4's A-Spec in GT5, and most of the issues with grinding and leveling up, buying new cars without tedious repetition and the like all fall squarely at this one point. Maybe, for some reason (too busy making a remote control for a B-Spec that everyone mostly hates, anyway?!) PD aren't working on giving us the needed events quickly, but I still feel that some of those Seasonals (it's just a name, remember!) would be a hoot to race again and again.

The logical thing for a game like this would be to have enough events that you NEVER had to repeat them to progress, but if PD's answer is to have just one or two new races a month, but remove the ones they added, it NEVER gets fixed. The insane amount of money for races in the Seasonals is only a Band-Aid for the problem. Leaving them in permanently (move them to Special Events after their time expires), and return their reward to a more average level, and gradually, GT5 returns more to GT4's events count.
 
Since they have no replay value, no sense in keeping them available. Should rotate faster, is what I say. I'm pretty bored waiting for the event generator.
 
Just curious, but why no replay value? Until they removed the restrictions, to be honest, I thought them some of the BEST races in GT5, and were fun to try over and over, adding as little as possible to the stock car until you were JUST winning.

If PD bring back the ability to downgrade a car to GT5, they would all be almost a fresh challenge.
 
I don't think they would need to be permanent, but I wish they were available for a longer period. I actually had to skip the 2nd and 3rd seasonal events because I simply didn't have time to complete them.
 
Thing is, why NOT leave them in..? They don't take up any memory, after all. Those that want to do them straight away, do them straight away. Those that want a bit longer to do them, take your time. Those that might like to do them again in a year's time or more, no problem.

Seems like pulling them out only detracts, rather than add to the game.

How many of us would complain if, after having done a Special Event once (or just for a couple of weeks), they were all removed, too? Or the License Tests? Pass it, and it never could be played again...

Not sure if that would go over too well. Strange that the Seasonals get a pass for doing this.
 
The trouble with having started the Seasonals is that if new players come along as they are ending (as I suspect they will at some point) then they will be potentially disadvantaged and have to go back to pre-Seasonal grind to progress, When the game is re-released on Platinum/Greatest Hits you could lose a lot of potential new players.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back