Should this be fun right from the start?

  • Thread starter Thread starter shenfrey
  • 24 comments
  • 1,865 views
Messages
174
I have only done a few events at the minute, just started properly and I didn't have the best of time, it was an OK experience but I didn't feel any sense of thrill, it was just a simple drive along.

Does the game get better as it goes or is it a pretty safe bet to say that if I don't like it from the start, i'll never like it?
 
Nah, you should just give up. Just like if a movie isn't incredibly exciting and thrilling in the first 5 minutes you should leave the theater. 👍
 
I felt similarly about GT5 when I first started playing it. But as you progress through GT Life and get it rolling, it will get more exciting. At least that was my experience.
 
i've had GT5 since release date and I loved it, but the last couple of months I have been getting bored with it. I'm trying to love it again but the only thing that keeps me playing is online. If I play a new game, and don't like it, I usually don't play it anymore. Is this your first GT game?
 
I would say to keep on playing until you are able to drive faster cars and experience more areas of the game. Alternatively if that does not work, you could partake in online racing once PSN is back up since competing with other people is on another level compared to racing the AI.
 
You've pretty much experienced the whole game already. It's driving.

If that's not enough, then move on to something else.
 
You've pretty much experienced the whole game already. It's driving.

If that's not enough, then move on to something else.


Except for that one level where you have to get past all the Goomba's and defeat Bowser. That one was awesome, but the Hammer Brothers were a b!tch! 👍
 
GT is all about realism and details.

If you want more thrills to the driving, get a NFS.
 
I found it got WAY more fun as u progress,
But when u think about to, what should be more fun? Driving a Honda, or driving a lambo :p
 
When I first played GT2 I didn't like it because I was looking for nitro/turbo boosts and tracks which featured jumps. It eventually grew on me as I earned better cars and now I'm a huge fan of the franchise. It can grow on you, but that really depends on your attitude and expectations. If you came looking for something similar to Need For Speed or something that you could beat in a weekend - you came to the wrong place. GT is for the patient gamer. You will probably have to do some grinding and some of those license tests might seem impossible.

MOTORTRENDmitch had a great point. When you buy your first supercar and take that thing out on the track, it sure feels good. Especially when the quickest car you've been in was a fully modded Miata or something. The game also gives you a Veyron fairly early on and while it's not a car anyone falls in love with, you can trust me that there's really nothing like that first time you go +250mph. 👍
 
You won't know if the game is worth keeping or not until you drive online.
 
I found the peak of "fun" to be somewhere around the Expert/Extreme series boundary, before I had done all the special events.
 
If you get out on track with the right people, online racing can be much better than racing the AI in A-Spec mode. Try a little bit of everything in GT5 before you make you're mind up as it has a lot of very different experiences to offer.


👍
 
The game is more of an aquired taste IMO, you should definitley keep playing to see if it suits you. Of course, once the game picks uo and you still dont like it, theres really no point in keeping it.
 
Play it online with you're friends!the offline is a waste of time,too easy.
 
Only progress you'll see is faster cars... Thats about it. The events don't get as interesting as they could.
 
Try pick a car that gives you a nice feeling. Only minor updates to performance and good sport/racing tyres will make driving pretty comfortable. Would it help you to get into game.
 
You've pretty much experienced the whole game already. It's driving.

If that's not enough, then move on to something else.

This.

GT5 doesn't turn into a completely different game mid-way through it. Sure, you get into some faster cars later on, but it's still the same principles; cars racing around tracks. You don't get weapons unlocking later on, you don't get magic Burnout boosts, naked ladies don't start prancing around the side of the track, or anything else like that.
 
Funny how the OP didn't respond to this thread yet...maybe he just wanted another "arguing" thread...
 
I have only done a few events at the minute, just started properly and I didn't have the best of time, it was an OK experience but I didn't feel any sense of thrill, it was just a simple drive along.

Does the game get better as it goes or is it a pretty safe bet to say that if I don't like it from the start, i'll never like it?

You'll be much happier with a need for speed type game.
 
First time I started GT5 I was hugely critical. Good thing I kept playing. It gets better fairly quickly. What tells the tale is that almost EVERYONE is very dissatisfied with many elements of the game but...we all keep playing it. There's enjoyment to be found in it. It is a VAST game with plenty to do. But you'll ultimately get the feeling that we all have...it's good, but it EASILY could have been and SHOULD have been GREAT!
 
Nah, you should just give up. Just like if a movie isn't incredibly exciting and thrilling in the first 5 minutes you should leave the theater. 👍

Good thing I don't adhere to that principal. Went to a movie and the first five min were slow as slow. ALMOST, ALMOST got up and left, but then I wound up watching an OSCAR winner in "Life is Beautiful!" One of my ALL TIME favorites!
 
This.

GT5 doesn't turn into a completely different game mid-way through it. Sure, you get into some faster cars later on, but it's still the same principles; cars racing around tracks. You don't get weapons unlocking later on, you don't get magic Burnout boosts, naked ladies don't start prancing around the side of the track, or anything else like that.

No, but that experience can definitely grow on you as you mature into the game. Everyone enjoys the game for different reasons and yes, some people will not like it at all. To say that the whole game should be graded in the way you would a demo isn't fair. There's quite a learning curve for the first time gamer on a GT game. You have to learn proper racing techniques and tuning skills. You have to earn your way into high performance racing machines. The game does get better the longer you play it. Learning the ins and outs of the different courses can be a very rewarding experience, along with the satisfaction that comes with winning the difficult events like the Formula GT Championship.

There's no guarantee that the game will instantly become fun after 3 hours or one week or level 11 or whatever other marker, but there is something to be said about becoming acclimated to the game and learning to appreciate the finer details. That first time driving a Furai, Zonda R, LP670-SuperVeloce, etc. are right there with the time you finally get enough credits to slap that High-RPM Turbo on your GT-R Spec V and watch it become a rocket.

If you're any kind of racing fan, GT should definitely grow on you.
 
GT is all about realism and details.

If you want more thrills to the driving, get a NFS.

This. 👍
 
Offline racing is fairly boring, but I've endured most of it so far. The online on the other hand is really good. If you find a good group that races clean and respectfully it'll be some of the best experiences you've had in a racing game.

GT5 is the first GT game I bought. I did try out some of the others at friends houses, but never liked them because of the controller. For me atleast, using a controller is a waste. Being that GT5 is a drivers game and not a racing game(unless online) a steering wheel is a must. The force feedback in GT5 is truly awesome. By far the best driver simulation on consoles. Only PC games like iRacing beat GT5 as far as physics go.

Anyways, wait for the online to come back up and if you don't have a wheel I'd suggest buying one if you can afford it.
 
Back