Silverstone

• Thread starter Dessy182
  • 15 comments
Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
GTP_Dessy
As someone who was at Silverstone recently and saw some of the scanning taking place, I have a few thoughts on what we can expect.

Firstly, I'll start with something quite significant. The team were at the track earlier in the year for an initial scan and will be coming back again later in the year to scan it again. The plan is to capture all the seasons. This would suggest that the future of Gran Turismo will feature live weather and seasons. It may well happen that when we are playing the game in the Autumn we will see brown leaves and a much duller weather, and then obviously a contrast for the spring and summer. This kind of feature suggests that the track is destined for GT6, however, from what I gather, we can expect to see the it first in GT5/GTA demo sometime next year, just without the changing seasons.

The next point is the scale and detail. Silverstone is a big place. I know tracks like Spa are longer, but Silverstone has a lot more going on inside and around it than you think. I passed the truck scanning the access roads on the outskirts of the circuit, so that should give you and idea of the level of detail they are going for here. A plane or helicopter was sent up to take overhead pictures of the whole area and a grid was made out of what they were going to try get in. Its worth mentioning that Silverstone has a cool little Rally School just off circuit and along the Hanger Straight is a Porsche Factory with a 1km test track and skid pad. It will be interesting to see if that will remain unbranded or will Porsche finally make it into the series.

Stowe Circuit was also being scanned and it got me thinking about the possibility of having a proper GT Academy section in future titles. Who knows, maybe GT Academy 2013 will coincide with the release of this DLC and the initial challenges will take place on all the variations of Silverstone, with the final qualifying lap being the full GP circuit. I think this is very possible since it is the end destination for anyone who qualifies for Race Camp. It's quite a long lap in a 370Z as well at about 2:38 in a race spec model with road tires, although I'm sure in the time in game would be significantly less.

I didn't want to talk about any of this until the information was leaked because I wasn't sure if it was meant to be public knowledge, but know that it's out there I said I'd share what I know.

I'm super excited that this is coming to the game. It's going to be so much nostalgia for any of us who were at Race Camp, and especially the 6 of us who got to race the full circuit. The in game representation is going to be so close to what I experienced. I really can't wait to go from reality to virtual :P

Awesome words Des. Totally agree, but they can get every single detail correctly but the magic of being there was definitely a lot more in the air. Every single day there was something going on while I was there, whether a track day, experience events, other competitions even, it's truly like a Disneyland/paradise for car lovers :)
But having the updated circuit is great because as it stands, the "wing GP" circuit is only in F1 2011 and rFactor as a mod map, so it's good knowing GT will be one of the first to truly represent the property in style, who else?

The confirmation of Stowe circuit as a track they're going to include in the game made me think the same as you, GT Academy challenges, can't wait to see what they come up with. All they'll need now is instructors yelling at me for forgetting my glasses and needing to pee all the time.

There's so much they can choose from to include in and around Silverstone, it's just gonna be mega no matter what they get around to doing. That rally school would be nice, maybe even that Segway test course xD catch that?

What you said about the possibility of seasonal in-game versions of the course is intriguing. I'm not sure how relevant it is that they're stretching their trips across the year (could simply be busy going elsewhere) but that would indeed be an epic feature.

Other areas I'd like to see rendered is that parking lot near the GBRC building that's used for cone-centric activities, historic versions of the circuit (we at least need a version with bridge in it), and of course all of the other present configurations - GP, national, and international.

To be honest, before I got to Silverstone it never stuck out to me as a spectacularly outstanding track, but going there really let me know exactly why it's so good. It's like the Rolls Royce of racing circuits.

Cool to read what you guys who've actually been and raced there think of the track. And I also, as you, hope that we'll see the whole complex in GT6 (?).

So Bathurst and Silverstone are practically set in stone, right? That's defenetly 2 cool additions to the track list.

They definitely need to give us access or some way to decide which configuration we want to run, as there are quite a few of them.

Silverstone_Stowe_Circuit.gif

Really pleased to see Silverstone featuring as a track in Gran Turismo, I've spent a good deal of time there for one reason or another over the past 40 years. No other games i've played have quite got the atmosphere there right.

It makes a lot of sense modeling the circuit since the GT Academy is so closely linked to it. Would be great if they included the quicker, older layouts, but it's unlikely to be the case since not much of them exist anymore.

As for seasonal changes, i can't really see the relevance as the circuit, like most real life ones, mainly operate during the late spring - summer - early autumn seasons, so the weather is likely to be pretty similar (cold and wind-swept, with the odd sunnier day). As an ex-airfield circuit, it doesn't have many trees within the circuits boundaries, so unlike tracks such as Le Mans or The 'Ring there's little visual difference on track throughout the year to be worth all that modeling it would take.

I only mention the seasons because I was specifically told that Polyphony were 'scanning the track at different times of the year to capture the different seasons'. The person who told me this may have misunderstood the information a little, but I honestly can't see why else they would need to scan the track more than twice. Surely the reason must be so that they can get a true feel for what it's like at different times of the year and then try implement that in game.

I hope the 24h Race or the 6h Race will be available in GT6! And yes, it would be a great track for academy 2013 in different versions.

I only mention the seasons because I was specifically told that Polyphony were 'scanning the track at different times of the year to capture the different seasons'. The person who told me this may have misunderstood the information a little, but I honestly can't see why else they would need to scan the track more than twice. Surely the reason must be so that they can get a true feel for what it's like at different times of the year and then try implement that in game.

Perhaps it was different lighting or weather conditions. Or maybe how it looks with the temporary grandstands that they put up for the bigger events?

I really can't see why they'd have winter and summer version of a track that doesn't really get used in the winter, seems like a colossal waste of effort to me. Lol Polyphoney Digital!

Or the recorded data was lost, who knows? I'd love to see what some of these GP tracks are like covered in snow. :)

Or the recorded data was lost, who knows? I'd love to see what some of these GP tracks are like covered in snow. :)

Poor. :scared: Believe me, the BTCC would be boring in the snow.

We, (the Canadians) know a thing or two about snow.

I mean, it snows for one month out of the year, how couldn't we?

My problem with it, though, is that Kaz might be waiting for the "slightly dryer season," because we all know how British springs are. :scared: So much rain! So, weather change might as well already be confirmed, but, I don't know about accumulative snow.

For those of you who don't know, though, GT5 has seasons modeled in. Eiger Nordwand short track (Weather change) at 100% weather change models a change in grip levels that's even more drastic than rain racing, and snow visually falls. It just doesn't accumulate. I believe that it's also true for Spa, now that I think of it.

Whether or not it has seasons, Silverstone is a great addition to GT's track roster. Hopefully all the variations will be available, as it would be good to use the shorter tracks for slower cars. Maybe they could also be used for sprint races in A-Spec Championships?

Perhaps it was different lighting or weather conditions. Or maybe how it looks with the temporary grandstands that they put up for the bigger events?

I really can't see why they'd have winter and summer version of a track that doesn't really get used in the winter, seems like a colossal waste of effort to me. Lol Polyphoney Digital!
Hopefully you just mean Silverstone. It wasn't winter there last month. Besides, this is GT. I hope this happens to every track.

Please Nurburgring, please, pretty please.:dopey:
👍!
https://www.google.com/search?q=nur...pw.r_qf.&fp=6a15bddfee51d97d&biw=1536&bih=757

Hopefully it will be on GT6 or as DLC for GT5 because its my all time favourite track and I've got no disrespect for Nurburgring GP or Monza,Silverstone is my all time personal favourite and I find that it suits my driving style witch is hard but controlled.

Back