• Thread starter daan
  • 10 comments

daan

Salut Gilles
Scotland
Scotland
GTP_daan
I took another moment of madness. My last moment of madness

I decided to run the PD cup in a Silvia Spec R Aero.

My opposition was
  • Mazda RX7
  • Mustang
  • Camaro SS
  • Evo VI
  • Impreza WRX
I was pleased that I never got the Z concept as that would have made it very difficult for me

Race 1 - Trial Mountain II

The Camaro shot away into the lead, but I knew his tyres wouldn't last. My main opposition was the RX7. I was on T2's with no stops, so I knew I would make it past when they pitted. I took the lead on lap 6 when the RX7 pitted, but he came back and took it back from me. He then pitted again on lap 12 and again on lap 18 leaving me in the lead. He was catching me up quickly at this point as my tyres were going off (my last lap was 5 seconds slower than my best). I managed to hold him off for the win but the margin back to him was only 2.507 seconds. Another lap and he would've got me....

My time was 33'45.704 and my best lap was 1'39.082

Race 2 - Midfield II

I was expecting the races to get tougher as I went but I didn't have any problems here. I must be better at this track and the tyres held together a lot better. The RX7 only pitted twice this time (laps 8 & 16) but he ended up over 25 seconds behind me at the finish, and I lapped the Impreza and the Evo.

My time was 28'48.563 and my best lap was 1'24.675

attachment.php

Race 3 - Rome II

The Silvia vs RX7 roadshow moved on to Rome for a trip round the colusseum. The RX7 was slightly faster here than at Midfield and did his 2 stop routine again. He was catching me towards the end again, my oil light came on near the end, but I ended up with a 10 second winning margin this time.

My time was 34'00.584 and my best lap was 1'39.666

Race 4 - SS R5 II

One of my favourite tracks in the game so I was hoping I would breeze through it, and a 1'12 second winning margin over the RX7 seemed to confirm that :D I had passed the RX7 before his pitstop this time and just pulled away all through the race.

My time was 32'40.177 and my best lap was 1'35.750

Race 5 - Seattle II

Up to this point my main rival was the RX7. When we got to Seattle, the Mustang was the best AI car. He must have got an (illegal) engine upgrade somewhere. He had long lasting tyres on too and only pitted twice (9 & 18). I still got the win tho' but the Mustang was only 8.638 secs behind me.

My time was 37'01.717 and my best lap was 1'48.925

Halfway points table

• Silvia - 50 points
  • Mazda RX7 - 28
  • Camaro SS - 19
  • Mustang - 18
  • Evo VI - 9
  • Impreza WRX - 6

Looking good but the AI usually gets a boost towards the end of a series so I still had a lot of work to do.

Race 6 - Apricot Hill II

I don't like Apricot Hill and I knew it was hard on tyres so I was expecting a tough race. It didn't turn out that way. The Mustang was back behind the RX7. I had another nice consistant race and got the win by 35.472 seconds.

My time was 32'42.957 and my best lap was 1'36.302

Race 7 - Deep Forest II

I got off to my usual slow start while my tyres warmed up. By the time they did, the RX7 was way down the road. I got the lead when he pitted, but he got by me again by battering me from the side going into the 2nd tunnel. I got by him again when he stopped for the 2nd time, but he got past me again on lap 19. He went on to win by 5 seconds. I held on to 2nd place.

My time was 29.38.118 and my best lap was 1'26.545

Points after round 7

• Silvia - 66 points
  • Mazda RX7 - 44
  • Camaro SS - 26
  • Mustang - 25
  • Evo VI - 12
  • Impreza WRX - 9

Race 8 - SS R11 II

After my first defeat, we head off to a track I'm not particularly fond of, so I didn't have high hopes for this one. I lost a lot of time on the first 3 laps and I was thinking that I'd be lucky to get a podium. My 4th lap was 3 seconds quicker (2'16 vs 2'19). I was very consistant this race and most of my laps were in the 2'16-17 range. My slowest lap was a 2'18 on my last lap. This consistancy took me into the lead and I won by 5 seconds from the Mustang and the RX7. I quite like the track now :D

My time was 46'01.243 and my best lap was 2'16.126

Points after race 8

attachment.php

I had won the series 👍

Race 9 - Grand Valley II

I decided to do this one anyway. I knew the yre wear was high around here and thought about stopping once, but I decided to keep going non stop. I won easily from the Mustang and the RX7. The gap back to 2nd was 36 seconds.

My time was 44'41.734 and my best lap was 2'11.937

Race 10 - Tokyo II

Not done it yet. I'll update when I do.

Attachments

• ssr5.JPG
    ssr5.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 38
  • race7points.JPG
    race7points.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 259
  • mid.JPG
    mid.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 266
My second time through the PD Cup I really really wanted to use the Silvia Aero (even a yellow one, like yours). I tried the first TM race half a dozen times, and reloaded 20 or 30 times, and never once got a field without the 350Z in it. The Silvia just didn't have the legs for that, and I gave up. I then ran it in a 22B which was fun, but more of a blowout than I had been looking for.

Excellent writeup!

Sleek Stratos
Nice going, daan. I love the addition of the pics by the way. How much traction control were you using?
I think it was 2. That's what I usually set it at.

Smallhorses
Did you use an oil change at the beginning, or run with 246HP standard?
Oil change when I bought it. I did do a single race first (PD cup, Tokyo II) and didn't oil it again before I started the series. So the oil light came on a race before it should've done.

Nicely done Dann. I'm impressed (see my tag-line to understand just how impressed I am given my disdain for FF drivetrains :D).

sukerkin
Nicely done Dann. I'm impressed (see my tag-line to understand just how impressed I am given my disdain for FF drivetrains :D).
Err, the Silvia is an FR mate. Only Famine is mad enough to attempt it in an FF.

It is!?

Well, well, well; paint me the colour of surprise at that one. I was under the impression that the older Silvia's were FR but I thought I remembered reading that they had gone the way of all 'budget' cars i.e. FF.

Regardless; still impressed 👍.

I'm about to start testing FF Honda's for a strike at the PD cup... FF seems like it would be a hardcore challenge against the big boys... Will be doing a full write up of my humiliating defeat lol :D

Nice one Daan, S15 Silvia in PD cup - fair play to ya sir.

Back