Simulation qualityPS4 

• Thread starter McQueen097
  • 21 comments
United States
United States
Sam_The_Man_097
First of all, I have to say I was quite impressed by the quality of the AI and the competitivity offered by your opponents during races and championships. At last, a game that is not only a driving simulator...
But, there are a few major problems also...
The sporting regulations are absolutely crap. For example, you can cut every lap the same chicane, you'll get your lap invalidated but you'll never get punished for it by a stop and go or drive through penalty (maybe it's only me but I doubt it...).
The flags also are useless. You'll get a blue flag every time a car comes close to you even if you're on the same lap or during qualifications... Stupid and not realistic.
The conception of some championships is also ridiculous... Why bothering with this stupid concept of starting the second race of a weekend depending on your second best lap in qualifications? Why not doing like in real life and starting reverse grid or depending on the first race results.
Some races are also driven in conditions that would never be tolerated in real life (eg, very heavy fog and rain at dawn...).
Why bothering recreating real life racing conditions if it's to miss on so many important things.
This could be a great game but these mistakes make it, in my opinion, an average racer, no better than Forza.
I know, this is a small studio, financed by crowdfunding but still. I paid a 100 quids (game and add-ons) and I expect something more than that.
But maybe, it's only me... I know we are getting more and more crappy and below average junk (thanks EA Games) and money is the motto of most of the big studios but I would expect more from a team like this one...

The game first at all is not from EA,it's Slightly Mad Studios and they're aren't a big studio like PD or Turn 10.
Project C.A.R.S is thier first independent game with Bandai Namco as publisher.

Second, if you keep cutting curbes at certain point you get black flag.. Jump start will be punished by drive through or black flag.

Blue flag in competition like the WEC are also on in classification for every car in real life, so,it isn't that bad in the game.

Some category got double classification sessions, one for each race.. So it's a correct way to do it also.

Thanks to his IA,track temperature, driving physics, tyre physics, visual damage, mechanical damage, dynamic whether.. It's lot better than GT or Forza and way more simulator.. But we don't have to forget that it's stay a game.. Because with a "real" simulation 99% of the users surely couldn't take the first corner correct or in F1 mantein the heat in brakes or tyres..

Just play and get fun,if you search a real simulator take your car and go to your local circuit.. Nothing and nobody's perfect

Ok, I don't think I made myself clear enough... I expect to be punished for jumping starts or cutting corners. My problem with the game is that I never ever got penalized for any mistake I might have made, I even tried on purpose to do so... Except for jumping starts, I was never sanctionned for a fault made on track.
I also know that there is class races and I have a problem with the fact that backmarkers or lower class cars don't really go out of the way when you lap them.
Physics, AI, weather and such are great, but the sporting regulation side of the game is absolutely crap, which, in my opinion, give the game a bad rating. Plus, I don't think it's very difficult to correct this.
And I never said anything about EA making this game, I'm aware that it's Slightly Mad. In my book, EA represent everything bad about the gaming industry, their last great game being NHL '99, nothing decent has come out of this studio since...
I know it's only a game but I think they could have made a little bit more about what I pointed out and this would have made a great game.

Oh, and what really pisses me off is this cold tires pre-lap(s) during qualifying sessions. Is it so difficult to allow you to start straight on your flying lap??? Every other game offers this.

No, cold tires are great but you should get the option to start with your flying lap. And to be honnest, don't think it's too realistic... The difference in handling is really too great with some cars. Some are absolutely impossible to drive with cold tires. However, I use a controller so it might be the reason why the handling is sometimes tricky.

No, cold tires are great but you should get the option to start with your flying lap. And to be honnest, don't think it's too realistic... The difference in handling is really too great with some cars. Some are absolutely impossible to drive with cold tires. However, I use a controller so it might be the reason why the handling is sometimes tricky.

It is like driving on ice with cold tires. Racing slicks are totally different to normal street tires..they don't work under 60 degree.

And for your complaint about slow cars not making room...neither are they doing in real life. The fast cars have to go around them. Also you get penalized for faults, although the system doesn't always work as it should.

I don't understand really what the purpose of this thread is other than just another whining and crying one. You want a sim, you got a sim. If it is not sim enough go back to forza

Yes, it is actually a whinning thread, got pissed off of the lack of interest for this great game on this forums... It's all about GT and to be honest, I stopped being intrested by the first game I ever played after the 4th one... Sometimes it's good to troll a little bit. Project Cars is actually a great game and I don't really have anything to complain about. :cheers:

To be honest you cannot really judge the game on a controller ,the game truly comes to life when your using a wheel

Yes, it is actually a whinning thread, got pissed off of the lack of interest for this great game on this forums... It's all about GT and to be honest, I stopped being intrested by the first game I ever played after the 4th one... Sometimes it's good to troll a little bit. Project Cars is actually a great game and I don't really have anything to complain about. :cheers:
I think most of us have a list of things to complain about for this game, it's by no means perfect, but damn is it good fun nonetheless. I just hope they don't overreach for the sequel and bite off more than they can chew. pCARs 1 was just in need of a bit of refinement. The enjoyment was never in question really.

No seriously. The AI is great (except a couple of times where they ran me off the track for no reason, but hey, it happens in reeal life with these young wankers in F1), tracks and weather/time conditions also and the career mode, despite being a bit messy sometimes is nicely done. I would have to complain about menus however, really messy (never use a pink background with a blackish font, designer golden rule...). I hope they don't go for the sequel but improve this one instead...

Oh, and what really pisses me off is this cold tires pre-lap(s) during qualifying sessions. Is it so difficult to allow you to start straight on your flying lap??? Every other game offers this.
The interesting thing is that starting straight on the flying lap with tyres already warmed up is already in the game but only in online time trial. Ideally that option should be available in all offline modes. I've suggested this several times in the official forums.

FS7
The interesting thing is that starting straight on the flying lap with tyres already warmed up is already in the game but only in online time trial. Ideally that option should be available in all offline modes. I've suggested this several times in the official forums.
Yeah, you should get the option to start on your flying lap. If you don't need to learn the track, there is no point in suffering with a totally undriveable car for the one or two warming laps... I passed a lot of qualification sessions because of this, starting from the back but at least got a nice challenge...

And this is, for me, a huge problem. I stopped playing the game for a while because, when you need to qualify if you want to have a chance at winning and it's a ****ing nightmare to drive a piece of crap for two laps before the tires are warm, it's a real problem. And it's no big deal to add this option... This is what makes the difference between a real studio like Polyphony (despite their flaws) and some 2nd tiers studio like slightly mad... The little details that count...

You're asking for realism... Yet in qualifying it's highly realistic that you start from pit lane and warm up your tyres, not just magically start on a flying lap.
Don't really have anything to complain about but that's what this whole thread you've created is doing?

This is what makes the difference between a real studio like Polyphony (despite their flaws) and some 2nd tiers studio like slightly mad... The little details that count...
I agree about having the option to choose between drive out and flying lap in all offline modes, but I think mentioning PD is a terrible example, after all GT6 doesn't have qualifying offline, and GT6 is missing a lot of details that are important to provide realism such as proper race weekend format, standing starts/normal rolling starts, full balanced grid, mechanical damage, fuel/tyre wear, flags & penalties, being able to choose fuel load for qualifying & race, define pitstop strategy before the race, and so forth. Some of those things are available online-only, some aren't available at all.

The game is full of blatant design mistakes regarding qualifying. And I think you didn´t mention the worst things about the session!

1) "Go to pits" remains available. So: 1) when you end your flying lap and see you don´t have fuel for another one and the inlap, you STILL do another hotlap and then select go to pits inmediately / 2) If you crash and get terminal damage and can´t go back to the pits, you select go to pits and keep driving / 3) You manage to save the time of the inlaps and do more attempts as a result.

You should ALWAYS have to drive back to the pits.

2) When the timer hits 00:00, that´s it. You don´t get to finish your current lap.

2) When the timer hits 00:00, that´s it. You don´t get to finish your current lap.
I disagree, there are classes that allow you to finish your current qualifying lap when the timer reaches zero. If the game is supposed to recreate real life situations it should include that rule.

FS7
I disagree, there are classes that allow you to finish your current qualifying lap when the timer reaches zero. If the game is supposed to recreate real life situations it should include that rule.
I think he meant the game doesn't let you finish your current lap if the time runs out.

Back