Single host online races ARE possible

Finland
Finland
TMguardian-FINN
...if you're from Japan!!?

This is just a theory, but if you think this through, I bet it makes sense. I've been racing a lot lately at Fuji 700pp world event, and have noticed few things.

1. Starting at 00 and 30, there are lots of Japanese players. In most cases, one of them hosts the race and full grids can be thereby expected. I have friends from other side of the globe, and we've had huge connection problems in past, but now we are fitting in the same grid if there is a JP host. (it's much faster get connected to one host than multiple hosts, that's why)

2. If running different schedule (@ 10 & 40 for instance) Japanese players are rarely seen. These races with US, European or Oceanic hosts can NEVER see full grids, since PAL / NTSC races must have multiple hosts. There might be 12 slots open, but only few players survives to the race. Others get disconnected and their matching is canceled.

3. I've been disconnected during online race several times lately. There has been always a JP host, and after some laps he quits the game, making everyone else in the race disappear. It shouldn't be like that if there are multiple hosts.

What do you think? Am I just fooling myself, or could this be possible?

I think you're right and I noticed it quite a lot during the world event at Suzuka last time around 👍

All the best
Maz

Big question: WHY??

Multiple hosting killed online racing with numerous friends. PAL users might have 16 000 km distance between them, just imagine that latency when connecting several different IP's! JP players comes from same area, and "lag" is significantly smaller. Still they are apparently having these single host events! Looks like major injustice to me.

Thank god GT5 release is near. Until that I keep enjoying other injustice Polyphony Digital offers, poor online events.

Back