Site Hanging Issues

United States
Azle, TX
supermanfromazle
SanjiHimura
Technical specs if you want to try to recreate the issue:
Browser: FireFox
Addons Used: Ad-Block Plus (GTP is whitelisted. I mostly use it to block YouTube ads and ads from Fanfiction.net), IMDB Search, Save as PDF, and Grammarly for FireFox.

The issue that I am having is this, at random points while I write a post, the site hangs and I can't see or do anything. My only workaround is as follows, close the browser window, reopen it to GTP (according to my settings it automatically does it for me as it was the last tab open), navigate away from the page that I was on, get back to it and hope that my work was autosaved. It is annoying, and I was looking for a better solution without disabling my prime suspect in the issue, which is Grammarly. Grammarly is a real useful tool for me, and I would like to keep using it.

Have you tried disabling Grammarly to see if it is causing the problem?

...I've been having the similar sort of issue as @Sanji Himura and can attest to the problem being the Grammarly add-on (or whatever it is called nowadays).

Disabling it solves it, but since I like using Grammarly, it's a bit of a headache now.

I clicked on a members avatar and this popped up;

Screenshot_2016-11-07-04-32-59~2.jpg

Never seen that box before. Just wondered what caused the error.

Edit;
Refreshing the page and clicking the same avatar made it visible, still just wanted to know what happened.

I clicked on a members avatar and this popped up;

View attachment 604434

Never seen that box before. Just wondered what caused the error.
That was a few minutes ago?

I'm doing maintenance which would have caused that to appear for a second. Let me know if you continue to see it.

No. Server load issues.
Okay, because I've often wondered where the 'cut-off' point is. I'll try and explain what I mean.

Let's say the server goes offline for a few minutes or longer and twenty members posted a status, message, PM or whatever just moments before the server died.

Is anything ever lost in those situations or does the site cache everything right up until the nano-second it goes offline.

It depends on the exact nature of the particular problem, but everything should be preserved once it is posted, unless data corruption requires the information to be restored from backup.

That's a different situation. Old article comments (posted before our new commenting system was installed) still exist in the database; they're just not visible because I haven't built the custom templates for GTP15 to display them yet. The comment templates are complicated and arcane to build, and the affected articles and comments are quite old now, so it's pretty far down my to-do list.

Back