Ska!!! Ska!!! Bring It Back!!!Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter jjboi
  • 18 comments
  • 769 views
Messages
125
:sly: Lately, I've been listening to a lot of 3rd Wave ska music (mostly The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and the B-52s', among others), and I just feel as though this form of music deverses the make a comeback. It's a hell of a lot better than the rock/rap/pop **** that's currently popular today, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that a lot of song (such as Where'd You Go and Someday I Suppose) actually had good, infectious beats and often lyrics that actually had some meat to them. True, no form of music is perfect, but 3rd Wave ska never really got the attention it deserved due to the HUGE explosion of grunge and rap in the early/mid 1990s' (only one of which has really held it's integrity as of late), and a lot of the songs are just plain damn good, being great party songs and having a good deal of artistic credibility. Now if only there were a band out there that could do the deed of bringing ska music back into the mainstream (hell, I might even start my own band/join a band the make it happen). 'Ya never know. Let's just hope it happens soon, someday, I suppose. Later!!! :sly:
 
What other ska bands are you into? I used to like ska a lot, but I've just lost interest in it lately. I'll agree with you that it's an infectious beat, and it's definitely catchy, but I think I just lost interest because too much of it sounds the same.

Catch 22 is probably my favorite ska band.
 
I was in a band in 99/2000, we played punk and ska....by 01 it was uncool, so we switched to 'alterna-rock' which was cool again..

I miss ska, it was a blast to play...and listen to !
 
I don't like too much Ska, but a good band was Ska-P, they are spanish and have good songs.

Album:
Ska-P - Que se corra la voz

Some songs:
Ska-P - Mis colegas
Ska-P - El niño soldado
Ska-P - Intifada
 
TwinTurboJay
I was in a band in 99/2000, we played punk and ska....by 01 it was uncool, so we switched to 'alterna-rock' which was cool again..

:indiff:

Why don't you just play the kind of music you like to play?
 
SublimeDood10
Catch 22 is probably my favorite ska band.

Yeah I like their earlier stuff. I don't think Ska will ever resurrect any time soon, but I don't think it will die either. As long as their are musically talented kids who want to have fun exercising their prowess, ska will live.
 
when i saw the title of this thread, it reminded me of a show that just happend recently here in AZ. called "Ska is Dead" Show/tour. (and there were like 4-5 ska bands playing (duh)- i couldnt go though)

yeah, i like ska, but havent heard enough to know what some good bands are.
I usually just hear them at venues.
 
Being part of the local ska scene in St. Louis I definatly don't want it to "comeback" as it is perfectly fine the way it is now. Ska will never die it will just evolve and change just like it has for 50 years.
 
I wouldn't classify the B-52's as Ska. Thinking about it now, what is the first Ska band. I always thought it was The Untouchables.

For Riverside County Mexican gang members, the Voodoo Glow Skulls aren't half bad.
 
Solid Lifters
I wouldn't classify the B-52's as Ska. Thinking about it now, what is the first Ska band. I always thought it was The Untouchables.

For Riverside County Mexican gang members, the Voodoo Glow Skulls aren't half bad.


As far as I know, the Skatalites were the original ska band, I don't know much about them besides that though.
 
The Voodoo Glow Skulls were at the "Ska is Dead Tour" I was there. Great times.

Streetlight was there too. They're awesome along with The Know how, they get a big thumbs down and some other band I think it was MU330, but they aren't ska, and not that good.
 
Mr. McShake how dare you insult the greatest band from St. Louis. Mu330 is amazing.

Desmond Dekker and Skatalites were the one who started it. Then later one it moved to the UK with bands like the Specials and the Selecter. Finally it was brought to America by the Toasters and Bim Skala Bim. They is a ska history lesson for you.
 
:sly: I'm definitely diggin' the vibe of this thread, and thank god that bands being mentioned here are good, but just one question: Is the stuff they're doing just as good and/or better than the ska stuff from the late 80s to early/mid-90s? I hope so, because most music today doesn't sound as good as stuff from then. Maybe it's the Gen-X dude deep in me or somethin', but the music industry as a whole seemed more creative/inventive/cool during that time. Just my opinion. :sly:
 
Rona
Mr. McShake how dare you insult the greatest band from St. Louis. Mu330 is amazing.

Desmond Dekker and Skatalites were the one who started it. Then later one it moved to the UK with bands like the Specials and the Selecter. Finally it was brought to America by the Toasters and Bim Skala Bim. They is a ska history lesson for you.

Sorry. When they first came out the glasses guy was Yelling "Are you ready to rock!?" Sounding all 80's metal and they just didn't sound like I thought they would. They were all wearing matchin 330 shirts.

But you gotta admit The Know how isn't very good. I hate those keyboard ska bands. They got horns that's more then most bands.
 
I didn't get to go to the Ska is Dead tour this year because the place it was at, Pop's, is in a BAD neighborhood. Plus it's like an hour away from my house and I can't drive and all my friends had conflicts/were being wusses.

Streetlight Manifesto was supposed to come back on March 22nd but they changed dates to June 12th. 👎
 
I really love Streetlight's cd. I listen to it all the time. That is currently the cd I'm playind drums too.

Friday Catch 22 is coming and I'm gonna see them.

Keep the Ska alive!
 
I have heard that the new Catch 22 is "different". I don't know if that is good or bad though.

Yea I played the hell out of my Streetlight Manifesto cd but I am now listening to other things. I can't wait for Keasby Nights 2 though.
 
Back