Ske's Interview. Its finally here!!!!!!

• Thread starter Loon
  • 9 comments
GTPLoon
D1 Loon
Well here it is folks....

So Ske, tell a little bit about yourself, likes, dislikes, etc,
I'm probably a bit older than most on these forums I used to be a music producer and DJ, but now I work at a net cafe... kinda took an extended break from music.

I've been into console games as long as I remember, mostly RPGs, racing/rally games and skate/snowboarding sims (too few and far between, sadly)...

Do you like the typical drift cars more or less, and why not?
I do like the "typical" cars a lot, they (most) look good and handle well. I also love drifting V8s and big torque cars that would normally be too bulky/heavy for drifting.

What car do you think has the best powerband, regardless of power?
Very hard to say. Stock, the Supra RZ has great delivery... but when you start tuning a bit you can't the smoothness of the RX7 RS-R stands out. There are loads of cars with great drift engines out there: The BMWs, the Carlton, the Mercs etc. and some V8s have extremely smooth delivery making them very satisfying to drift. It can be all about exhaust tuning for this. Don't be afraid to use a "smaller" upgrade, it might be a LOT better.

How did you get into GT4 drifting?
To be honest, I'm not sure I remember. I didn't even know what drifting was until I read this forum around april 05 (when I had just got GT4), but I was a big fan of rallying (especially the twisty bits)... so driving sideways was something I enjoyed already. I got into the GT series with GT2, and I got into the rally bit in GT3 though I kinda threw the car around a bit in GT2 as well.

I used to be a demon drifter on the 'ol DS2, but then I got my DFP and I could'nt anymore. Dunno why.
I never learned using the analog stick(s). I used the d-pad at first, then kinda gave up for a while until I finally started using my old DF wheel. I do have some issues learning the DFP while I still have my DF around though. I think the major issue is that you need to moderate your inputs... if you go all out countersteer and throttle with the DFP, you'll lose control 100%. You also need to anticipate a lot more when using the DFP. Basically, think ahead and don't exaggerate your inputs until you're confident with it.

Is the answer not knowing how to set up a car? (if we are excluding practice).
No. Stock cars and default settings drift perfectly fine with a DFP, even easier than with the DF. Keep it "sane".

What is the single most important factor in becoming a great, versatile drifter in GT4 aside from practice?
What is the single best way to obtain oxygen aside from breathing? Every drifter has a particular set of "tricks" that work for them.. and drifting is all about using this bag of tricks from reflex and memory. No, it really is all about practice, getting confident and getting used to how the car reacts when you do this and that. Don't try and tune your way out of it, without practice you'll most likely end up making it harder on yourself.

What is your favorite drift car?
Varies from day to day, though I always seem to revisit my RS-R when I'm trying something hard...

Who do you look up to in the GT4 Drifting forums?
A lot of people are great influences. When I first got into it, DR, BL, Sheron and Mike (FBI) were of course the guys to watch. Swift is also a great person to have around even though he was a bit shy when it came to showing off his stuff Nowadays, I'm really impressed with Suzuki's DFP technique...

What's your favorite drive train and why?
FR, obviously. It gives the best feel, and allows for the longest links with the highest sustained angles.

What qualities make a good drifter in your mind?
Consistency, precision, smoothness, aggressive edge. Linking "unlinkable" stuff and generally going big with style. The part which often separates the best from the learning is the exits IMO. If you can do a huge smooth drift but can't exit at the rumble strip (or whereever the racing line takes you) it still leaves a bit to be desired.

Ske, how can someone improve at tandeming???
Doing it, I guess. I live in Europe so I can't get on Kai with you guys.. so I'm a bit blank here. Try running a family cup and see how you manage to drift a stock car up close and personal with the CPU racers.. or alternatively race your ghost car and study the replays.

Would you ever consider a future career on XLink Kai???
If I were using the NTSC version of the game I'd be all over it... though I have to say I prefer tuned cars over stock.

Ske: What track do you find the best to practice drifting and to get used to a new car? Also what track is your favourite to drift on?
The favourite drift car question was mentioned earlier, but the best practice car? 270R, Early FD models, Lotus Carlton, Holden Monaro are all superb cars with minimal tuning. The Supra RZ is great stock, but it's easy to ruin by tuning. Silvias need a few upgrades, but they're also good cars to learn on.

If you had a car that could travel the speed of light, what would happen if you turned on the headlights?
I really just wanna know in general...
If I told you that I would have to kill you.

putting pictures is a good idea !
btw , this interview thing is great 👍 thanks to good questions and answers.

This was actually a billiant idea from LOON... As adding pictures was suggested by other members, i would make a little twist to that by suggesting it to be in a magazine format interview. With edited pictures, headlines of the interview...etc. Pictures of Ske should be edited to not show his real face, but adding mystery to who this guy really is. So, in the end, the format of the interview can be in .pdf format or any image format.. Or maybe even better if future candidates are able to make a video of themselves replying to all this questions! Seems like its going to be some sort of documentary soon...LOL...

I felt this mightbe cool and it could be an small idea of keeping this thread sticky! Hope it helps...:)

Hmm, al those are pretty good ideas. I may be able to make a interview sytle booklet like that, by making the pages in GIMP or something. I'm not sure if I have an Adobe program on my computer, I'll have to check later because I'm at school now. Also having a pic of the person would be cool too. I like the video idea alot, but not every one has a video camera, but thats definetly a cool idea.

Thanks for the ideas Clanegie!👍

Hmm, al those are pretty good ideas. I may be able to make a interview sytle booklet like that, by making the pages in GIMP or something. I'm not sure if I have an Adobe program on my computer, I'll have to check later because I'm at school now. Also having a pic of the person would be cool too. I like the video idea alot, but not every one has a video camera, but thats definetly a cool idea.

Thanks for the ideas Clanegie!👍

This is the one and only forum that i have my upmost respect for, so certainly i would wish to enjoy it as all members here can. Its just sad that i do not have enough time and also not enough skills to be heavily involved in such activities. If i do have them, i would certainly help you out too LOON.

I will be looking alot on this interviews coming up!

Or maybe you can use Macromedia's Flash for the interview. It mght be another solutions to have pics, animations, videos all lumped together.

Cheers LOON, you had done a great job here in the forum.

Latest Posts

Back