Slight exhaust mod for the Fiat...

  • Thread starter Thread starter iceburns288
  • 5 comments
  • 5,493 views
Messages
1,267
Well here's a DIY I made for a guy who wants to remove the exhaust valve for his V8 Vantage so that it's always open. Vids at the bottom...

Originally posted by iceburns288
Ok, here goes.
The tools required:
Image024.jpg

That's a flashlight, the hex wrench set and a dirty Mercedes t-shirt. The paper is the instructions and the screws I took off the car.

This is what the vacuum switch looked like.
Image022.jpg

The big cord in the front is the taillight stuff, but the black cord on the left is the electricals, the gray thing is the switch itself, and the black tube out the back is vacuum.

Same thing, but after I unplugged it:
Image023.jpg


During the process:
Image013.jpg

Videos. The first one is high-quality and was taken after the valves were already opened. The revving is light, so don't expect any action. Those familiar with Ferraris will notice the different tone in the idle. It sounds a little 'dirtier' but I like it a lot more. More aggressive. It definitely resembles the more aggressive note of the NGT car now.
The second video was taken with a cell phone, so the quality is low. The audio quality flat-out sucks. However, you can hear the difference when I remove the connector for the vacuum switch, which was the point of that video.
http://media.putfile.com/exhaust19
http://rapidshare.de/files/10680648/Video003.3g2.html
 
So it'll be loud all the time instead of just at high revs or with lots of throttle. Same reason I took out mine. For fun! :)
 
I thought the purpose of the butterfly valve in the exhaust of high performance cars was to keep the exhaust flowing at the right speed during low rpms? Or does it just help quiet the engine for normal use?
 
It just quiets the engine. It runs the air back through the mufflers.
 
Its not to provide backpressure at lower rpms for performace reasons?

I would have done it too though :D
 
Back