Slightly laggy controls

• Thread starter Minor
  • 18 comments
X360
Fanatec 911 Turbo S
Clubsport pedals
LG 42SL8000

Steering and accel/brake feels a bit laggy, not much but noticeable. I got used to it but am I the only one with this lag?

Great game btw!

Uhg, not this crap again.

Some one delete this thread before it turns into the Shift 2 Forum.

Honestly, theres no lag. Remove the steering, and pedal deadzones in the advance wheel setting options. That's the delay your feeling.

Uhg, not this crap again.

Some one delete this thread before it turns into the Shift 2 Forum.

Honestly, theres no lag. Remove the steering, and pedal deadzones in the advance wheel setting options. That's the delay your feeling.

Default settings were awful, removed the deadzones and linearity and other crap but there is a slight delay present whatever you do.

Default settings were awful, removed the deadzones and linearity and other crap but there is a slight delay present whatever you do.

Film it. Get a camera, set it up so it's capturing the screen and your controller and push the brakes on and off a couple dozen times. Then count frames between the moment your finger pushes the button and the brake lights coming on. Figure out how many fps your camera works at, and convert to a time. Average all your couple dozen pushes and you'll have a fairly accurate idea of how much lag there is in the game. Be aware that your TV/screen will have a certain amount of lag inherent to it too, it's not all the game. You'll need to look up specs for your screen and compensate for that, or compare it against a CRT or something.

Also, be aware that all games have some amount of lag, it's just the nature of the beast. Anything less than 100ms is usually pretty damn good.

We did all this for Shift 2, and it provided good information. Look up the appropriate thread in the Shift 2 forum (ignore all the whining going on in that thread) and see some of the videos we made. If there's a real problem, this will identify it and allow Codies to get to work fixing it.

There is no lag. but what I did notice is there will have to be an ideal setting for the wheel. Do not max everything out, it have a very stiff, unrealistic feel to it. I was very turned off by this at first until i started messing with Wheel Weight and Strength.

I'm using a Logitech Driving Force Pro and the lag ruins the game for me... both in steering and using throttle and brakes. Dirt 2 was flawless and so smooth and that's what I was expecting that with Dirt 3. Hopefully they'll fix it. Anyone with this wheel driving it on the PC version with the same issues? Any lag that must be "tolerated" is not an option for me. If it's there, it's there and takes away from the fun.

Note: I did do all the adjustments in the options to remove the dead zone and what not. Lag is still present.

PC versions of the game...
I got it fixed and the FPS has greatly improved as well. I had to log into Games for Windows Live in OFFLINE mode... just unplug network connection temporarily - log into game in offline mode, plug into network again. I believe the game is constantly recording replays for YouTube upload, and by starting it OFFLINE, it doesn't record and runs WAY smoother. No lag! I'm a happy camper now. :-D

There will be slight lag on console whatever you do as its only running 30fps! Half GT5!

Visual rendering has nothing to do with controller input lag. Internally, the physics engines are running few hundreds of "frames" per second at least.

There is no gameplay hindering lag on the PS3 using a DFGT.

Just because the controls feel different than GT5 doesn't mean its lagging. Also just because you are not good at the game doesn't mean it lags

Just because the controls feel different than GT5 doesn't mean its lagging. Also just because you are not good at the game doesn't mean it lags

I'd say you are right because the tracks in this game are mostly dirt roads not Tarmac, so the car will slide a bit, and that may be the lag they are feeling

Back