• 16 comments

Jump_Ace

Compare Yourself To The Best Of Your Own Abilities
Staff Emeritus
United States
Portland, OR
Jump_Ace
JUMPxACE
This replay system was excellent in GT3. You could watch a replay in slow motion to see exactly how someone entered a turn, pointed the car, when they got on the gas. It would also make WRS participants happy by making it much easier to see if their lap is invalid. There was so many advantages, I'd love to see that option make a return.

Jerome

This replay system was excellent in GT3. You could watch a replay in slow motion to see exactly how someone entered a turn, pointed the car, when they got on the gas. It would also make WRS participants happy by making it much easier to see if their lap is invalid. There was so many advantages, I'd love to see that option make a return.

I kinda need this... on GT6 is even harder to photograph when a car back fires :(

Jerome

PD use slow motion scenes in their trailers so customizable playback speed has to be part of their developer mode replays. The PS3 probably can't render it in full replay quality in real time without issues.

A playback speed control with slow motion and fast forwarding, both forwards and backwards, should be expected on PS4.

PD use slow motion scenes in their trailers so customizable playback speed has to be part of their developer mode replays. The PS3 probably can't render it in full replay quality in real time without issues.

A playback speed control with slow motion and fast forwarding, both forwards and backwards, should be expected on PS4.

Rendering at a different rate is no more difficult than "normal" rate. Slow motion just requires a different inter-frame delta.

Rendering at a different rate is no more difficult than "normal" rate. Slow motion just requires a different inter-frame delta.

Rendering the same amount of information faster would take more processing power though? And playing the replay at slower speed would require more information to be initially recorded (if it's not created and added afterwards)?

The blame on hardware was just the usual PS3 blaming guess, I might be wrong. Grid Autosport offers flawless variable playback speed in its replays, but watching at faster playback speed puts a notable burden on the RAM of the PS3. Graphical quality of AS is lower than GT6's though, and it runs at lower resolution on PS3/360.

Rendering the same amount of information faster would take more processing power though? And playing the replay at slower speed would require more information to be initially recorded (if it's not artificially added)?

The blame on hardware was just the usual PS3 blaming guess, I might be wrong. Grid Autosport offers flawless variable playback speed in its replays, but watching at faster playback speed puts a notable burden on the RAM on the PS3. Graphical quality of AS is lower than GT6's though, and it runs at lower resolution on PS3/360.

The rendering speed doesn't change, since the frame rate is unchanged, no matter what the playback rate is.

I don't know what is actually recorded in a replay, although it clearly is able to place the cars accurately on track. Based on the size of the files, it is not recording frame-by-frame placement, so it it interpolating. Slow motion may require different interpolation.

As for RAM demand, rendering in slow motion may put less pressure on RAM since preloading of track descriptions are spread over a longer time period. As you say, faster playback puts more burden on RAM.

I think this should be quite easy to implement. There could be like a button we press for it to go slow motion like, holding triangle or something (right now, holding triangle just zooms in, but even that is hit or miss... in GT4 it worked every time but in GT6, it only works *sometimes* during the auto replay after racing but not when watching saved replays)... Not sure why PD hasn't addressed this. Besides, that would go so well with Dive Replay if we have that again... Press square for Dive, and hold triangle for slow motion, that would be so awesome!

Back