Slowman's 1991 Isuzu Impulse RS

• Thread starter slowman
  • 24 comments
United States
Madison, WI
I picked this up recently after not having a car for 2 years. I wasn't really looking for a car or one of these specifically; my scooter suits 90% of my traveling needs and gets 80mpg. It just came up for sale, I had the money and it's quirky enough for my taste.

Of all Isuzu Impulses in the United States, approximately 2300 are registered for road use. Most are the XS which is a 3-door hatchback with front wheel drive and a 130hp 1.6L 4-cylinder. There were approximately 800 RS models imported in 1991; 600 in the US, 200 in Canada. 2 more were imported to the US later and were sold as '92 models. 1 of these is left. Of all Impulse RS', there are currently 131 left with license plates and current registration, ready to drive. The RS is a 3-door hatchback with all wheel drive (front and rear viscous, helical center) and a 160hp 1.6L turbo 4 with 7 psi of boost and an 8.5:1 compression ratio. O

The engine in this car was rebuilt at 130,000 mi along with a new clutch, high flow catalytic converter, muffler, and brakes by the 6th owner.

The following modifications were performed by the 7th owner:
-Garrett GT2554R dual ball bearing turbocharger
-TurbineTech turbo manifold
-Custom intake
-Custom downpipe
-Boost controller set @ 14 psi
-Greddy Type S blow off valve
-RTR coilovers
-RTR short throw shifter
-Stainless steel braided brake lines
-boost, exhaust temp and A/F ratio gauges discreetly installed
-wheels (which I think are awful; I'm trying to find the factory wheels but they are quite difficult to find since only 800 cars ever came here)

I am now the 8th owner of this car and I can report that despite it's age and mileage, it has been very well cared for. There are a few small rust spots that I intend to take care of this winter while it's stored. It gets an even 30mpg on the highway and around 18mpg in the city. I don't know what sort of power it makes since I've never had it on a dyno but knowing that you gain ~7% more power per psi of boost, I'd estimate it's making around 230hp peak since it's running 7 psi more boost than factory.

Scooter in the last picture is my daily :)

I'd also like to give a shout out to HondaKid86 who is a genuinely great guy and also alerted me to the fact that this car was for sale.

53afdc.jpg

2cihdg5.jpg

2mww1v5.jpg

hvz59d.jpg

5nswvd.jpg

54axy.jpg

2cadqp.jpg

Last edited:
That's actually really cool. But it also looks familiar - then I realised it's 'cos it as also badged as a Geo Storm, and I've always quite liked the look of the Storm. Nice car 👍

I've always thought of the Impulse as a bit of an oddity. When I think of Isuzu, I think of used SUV's and box trucks. So it's a bit odd to think they have a turbo charged sports car with Lotus handling.

Nice find! Though if it were mine I'd change the wheels.

I've only seen a handful of Impulses in my life, and never one of the AWD Turbo variants, and certainly not in such good shape. Pretty awesome find, though kind of a shame to garage an AWD car like that in the winter - lots of fun to be had depending on the bias. Of course, you guys do have harsher winters than we do.

Slightly random question, but are you a student in Madison?

Thanks all!

No, not a student in Madison, I just live here.

Yes, the wheels are absolutely awful. Luckily the bolt pattern is 4x100mm so my choices are broad. If I can't find factory wheels then I'd like to find some period correct Japanese aftermarket wheels. :)

"Handling by Lotus" sounds a bit better than the reality which is that Lotus specified the rollbars front and rear and not much else. The RTR coil overs are better than the original suspension ever could have been.

Last edited:
No, not a student in Madison, I just live here.

Ah, I was wondering cause I've got a friend finishing up Grad school over there.

As for the wheels, you could try a pair of the E30 BBS wheels, which are 4x100 but with a RWD offset. I recall they fit quite nicely on the Integra I had for a while, and gave it a kind of stance look while not being absurd. Look pretty much like the wheels homeforsummer posted with the Piazza.

Seeing that makes me miss the Japanese cars of the 80's and 90's more and more. Reminds me of...

Mazda 323 GTX
Mvc-004f.jpg

N14 Pulsar GTiR...
280px-Nissan_Pulsar_GTI-R_3.JPG

But less hatchbacky of course. :lol: My friend had a 323 GTX in high school, quite the Honda and DSM killer for those days. Sleeper status always a 👍

Wow! I love your car! I've heard of the Impulse but have never seen one. It looks like you kept it in great condition!

Ah, I was wondering cause I've got a friend finishing up Grad school over there.

As for the wheels, you could try a pair of the E30 BBS wheels, which are 4x100 but with a RWD offset. I recall they fit quite nicely on the Integra I had for a while, and gave it a kind of stance look while not being absurd. Look pretty much like the wheels homeforsummer posted with the Piazza.

Yes! I used to have an '84 325 with a few mods and I had the BBS "basketweave" wheels from iX/iS models. I'm a huge fan of those wheels and I'd love to track down another set because they look good on nearly any car you can put them on. However... the unfortunate thing about them is that they are only 14 inches and I'd have to get tires with a tall profile to fill up the wheel wells and that limits my sporty tire options somewhat.

And as far as other hatchbacks go, the Pulsar GTi-R and 323 GTX are the hotness. I don't think GTi-R's were ever imported to the US officially and I know that there are a few 323 GTX's but if I recall there are less than 2000. No matter the number, there are few good examples of any of these left. I know I've seen a 323GTX once before but I've never seen a Pulsar GTi-R in the flesh.

Fixed the exhaust leak between the turbo and the exhaust manifold with Nissan part # 14415-17M00. This is the OEM multi-layer steel gasket for RB26DETT and SR20DET engines. I am under the impression that this gasket will fit any T25, T28, GT25 or GT28 flange but I can't say for certain. What I can say for certain is that it exactly matches the original single-layer stamped steel gasket for my Garret GT2554R, which was completely blown out the front.

The radiator is not stock, it's a larger unit from a newer car, the make of which I have not determined yet. I do have the stock radiator and the crossmember for it in storage. Along with the car I inherited most of the original stock parts that have been replaced along with many various interior plastic pieces.

I also replaced the coolant temperature sender for the guage cluster.

Next items on the list are both driveshafter center support bearings. These are both non-existant parts so I will have to send the original steel outside support/mount away to be remanufactured.

Last edited:
Love the car. I have one myself and I have not been disappointed yet. I am just surprised you found one this late in its life looking that great. Also don't go pass 14 psi on the turbo. My pistons and heads were blown because of high boost.

I couldn't if I wanted to anyway, the CPU cuts fuel @ 14 psi boost pressure. It doesn't matter to me how much power it makes; it's far more important to me that it makes it safely and efficiently.

I recently managed to track down the factory wheels. I traded another Impulse RS owner, giving him my old wheels in exchange for an OEM set.

Here is a bonus picture, a scan from my '91 brochure. :)

25sao20.jpg

Its turns the rear wheels huh? Sounds like they did the same trick as like a honda prelude and my Rx7.

Thats pretty cool! i've never heard or read about this car before.

The front lights look mean and the lines/dimensions of the car are pretty special.

im sure if you own one of these in europe it will turn heads if you drive this car.

great find!

Thats pretty cool! i've never heard or read about this car before.

The front lights look mean and the lines/dimensions of the car are pretty special.

im sure if you own one of these in europe it will turn heads if you drive this car.

great find!

Thanks. :)

Coincidentally, my Carfax records that the car was in Germany between 1996 and 1998. I suspect it was owned by someone on active duty in the military during that time.

Hey I just bought a 1991 Isuzu impulse AWD intercooled turbocharger with lotus suspension and got an identical one that's not turbo charged that has the stock rims and tires message me if you're interested
20180807_175901.jpg

Back