SLR Mclaren = cool car

• Thread starter Stew2000
  • 17 comments
So the SLR McLaren is a cool car just because of the braking capability? It's a solid supercar not a lot of people take credit for. This was my meal ticket through the rest of RIII and RII. And it's currently my ride while my Ford GT is a rehab starter, to use baseball terms. The only problem with it is its understeer. But then, what do you expect from most supercars, anyways? Many are just speed demons most people just want to go ultra-fast with. Some are no-handling machines. This car's front/RWD configuration means you get better pull of the road during handling. Just ask the Panoz LMP Roadster (not in Enthusia).

Enjoy this sexy German beast, Stew2000.

What's cool about the SLR in Enthusia is the semi-automatic transmission. I like it when the car changes gear and we have to take care of a sudden "torque increase".

I couldn't believe when I saw in GT4 that they made it with a normal transmission (IIRC, even GT4 Prologue had this right). Lack of space in the GT4 DVD, I guess ...

Not many people like the Mercedes SLR McLaren. I still think this is the most powerful street car they have to offer. GT4 and Forza both include this car. Forza is basically sports car Heaven. If you died and went to sports car Heaven, you'd probably go to Forza. The SLR is a triple-A class car that I used a few times in GT4 as well as my MVP car in Enthusia. Yeah. My clutch hitter. My floor general. My Heisman-winning player. First class. Only thing I want to do to make it better is to improve the gear ratio because you'll be doing just over 200 on the Nürburgring Nordschleife's high-speed area. And that's not too good if you're trying to overtake heading into the home stretch of Nürburgring Nordschleife - Normal. You'll need maybe 220. Only problem is that a search for top speed weakens acceleration. So you have to think carefully like in GT4. Feel free to take advantage of tuning up cars in Enthusia.

after seeing one in real life [attached is my crappy cell phone pic] I love the car more than before. having a Free Race on the Nurburgring versing somewhat normal cars [GC8, Supra, Skyline R33, Merc C32, Toyota FunCargo :dopey: ] and waiting like you are getting your ticket, and then racing just to pass them at a real slow pace, lol. it doesn't sound as real as it is stock, but more at like Level 7 it does. realy, towards the CLS63 [IRL] the SLR is one of my favorite Mercedes
~Clinton

This is odd...many people (including myself), would say that one of the greatest defects that the SLR has, is its breaking capabilities. Like JohnBM01 said:
I still think this is the most powerful street car they have to offer.

And perhaps that is the problem, it has way too much power for its breaks, and its homungous wight is part of the equation here too.

I like the SLR better in Forza than in GT4, but it still sucks at breaking.

BTW, nice pic Clin ;)

Ciao!

If you have seen any reviews of the SLR you would know that one thing editors havenÂ’t liked is the brakes. Not because they arenÂ’t strong enough but because they are too strong and come on like a switch.

I could be wrong but is it the first road car with carbon fibre brakes derived from F1.

You mean carbon-ceramic composite brake discs? Porsche beat them to it by at least a year, if not earlier, and Ferrari probably did it even before then.

Today I got the SLR and I though sweet I think I'll be driving this thing for quite a while then I got in the thing........and man dose this car SUCK!!! I HATE IT!!! its way way way to heavy and that semi-automatic gear box :yuck: I mean sure it goes like hell in a strait line but when you try to put the thing around the corner all you get is understeer understeer understeer, I think that the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII GSR is a way better car it handles way better and it doesn't have a stupid semi-automatic and you can almost do 0 degree dough nuts :D

Back