Snaeper's Automobile(s) - Resurrecting a Celica (or two)

• Thread starter Snaeper
  • 41 comments
Did it align alright without the control arms? When I lifted my truck I had to the arms to get everything straight. I could've made do without them, but since I was doing a bunch of highway driving I didn't want to be wandering all over the road. I went with Light Racing ones and I don't think I paid a ton for them, they worked great and were reliable. The Icon stuff is pretty, but I always felt like their stuff was geared towards the overland enthusiast that had a bottomless bank account.
Haven't actually aligned it yet. It's driving straight and I'm waiting for the 100mile mark to tighten everything down. Also wanting to take it out once before, just in case I knock it back out right after.

That I am aware of, I'm just below the lift amount to need UCA's, but it's a possibility that I am prepared for. Was looking at JBA Uppers for cost reasons, but the SPC's are also nicely featured.

Minor update: Installed some flappity-flaps.

Looks a lot more "trucky" now.

IMG_20200618_061220.jpg

IMG_20200623_185903.jpg

Figured that now that my truck was lifted, I missed riding on the bump stops.

Kidding, but this will cushion the blow and protect the rear shocks while tooling around town and off-road.

First up, Sandra got mentioned on Facebook by Tough Dog, and Instagram by Trail Tailor. She's got a better internet presence than I do, now:

IMG-20200628-WA0016.jpeg

Took her wheeling on Sunday with a few other Tacomas. Three of the four had been on the trail with me before and could notice just by watching that my truck was better off with the new suspension. The factory stuff really sucks on the non-Off Road/Pro models.

IMG-20200628-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20200628-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20200628-WA0015.jpg

IMG_20200628_131146.jpg

I like Off Roading because, while it's a bit more fraught with hazards and perils, it's so much easier to get into than track days, there's better scenery, and it's much more relaxing.

Sandra really soaked up the bumps all day and impressed me. I was keeping up (at times) with a truck that had suspension easily 3x more expensive than mine.

I did discover an issue that involved my sway bar very, very mildly rubbing my spring. I am talking with the US distributor on getting a relocation kit set up to offer for other Tacoma customers.

PXL_20210316_223444503.jpg

Been awhile since I've posted in here on updates to Sandra. Awhile back I got a faux-Pro grille off of a fellow Tacoma owner. It's actually the exact grille off of the white Tacoma with the steel bumper (Caylen) in the previous post, albeit purchased from the white Tacoma with the empty bed rack and yellow chase lights (Alan). Basically, Caylen was driving down the road, minding his own business, when a truck in front of him dropped paint(?) or something similar, and it basically splattered all over the grille. He was consigned to never getting it off until Alan offered him his old grille (since he had upgraded to a genuine Pro grille). Alan then skillyfully cleaned it to Caylen's chagrin and sold it to me for a steal.

It wasn't something I had originally been in a rush to get, but the price was too good to pass up and I really like the way it changes the look of the truck.

As you can see, I've also added A-Pillar lights and upgraded the fog lights to matching LED's. All are from Diode Dynamics, which is currently one of the best 4-led pods on the market in terms of price and performance. The A-Pillar lights were purchased to put more light to each side of the truck since I noticed I was doing a lot of driving around the wilderness at night. The Fogs were done 'cause there was a sale and I wanted to get the cosmetic enhancement. They're Sports instead of Pros like the A-pillars are, and they're an SAE/DOT legal beam pattern so they can be used on the road, although there isn't often good reason to turn them on in Arizona.

Aside from those bigger items, there hasn't been too much done. A TRD Pro shift knob replaced the TRD Sport knob I had. I'm going to be adding the third tie-down rail to the bed and will eventually be upgrading the horns to Hella SuperTones, since that's a fun and easy upgrade.

Oh, and I did add an accessory tray, auxiliary fuse panel and wireless control module underhood to control the lights and other future add-ons.

In the future, I'm gonna be removing the back jump seats and replacing them with an Aluminum molle panel that's pretty neat. Got on the very last group buy the guy was ever gonna do! That'll likely mean I'm gonna sound proof the doors finally, as well. Been meaning to do that to further increase the audio quality.

PXL_20210321_015628407.jpg

A month or so ago, my uncle was sponsoring a benefit to raise money for a young guy who was battling cancer. The car show was a normally scheduled event, but they were adding in voting, competitions and other things to help get money together for this fella's fight.

I put out the call to the Tacoma community and two other members showed up to represent the Toyota's in a sea of Jeeps.

The whole night was spent eyeballing the massive rubber most of the Jeeps were sporting, feeling like even our modified Taco's looked like they had just rolled off the showroom floor. As the night rolled on, I said goodbye to the fellow Quicksand owner (mandog) but noticed he was still hanging around for the award ceremony.

Turns out, he had been stopped before he could leave because the kid who we were all there to raise money for had picked his truck as the favorite of the show! He was a huge Tacoma fan and was super glad the three of us showed up! I felt totally vindicated that I had gotten the guys together to come out there since it was on a side of town most of us didn't live immediately near. Completely made it worth the trip!

EDIT: Way belated update to @Joey D the truck did align just fine. Only really lifted it an 1.5" so the stock UCA's work fine. I got really, really lucky that there were no vibrations, whines, etc with the lift. Couldn't have asked for a more perfect solution. Now that the truck has a few thousand miles on it with the lift, I've been super impressed.​

Last edited:
What brand are these if you don’t mind me asking? Just bought almost the same spec truck. Easy install?
They appear to be these:

They're listed as no drill so installation should be pretty simple.

20220910_122703.jpg

Celica went under the knife today. Changed the oil, filled up the coolant, primed the cylinders and hooked up the battery out of the Tacoma. She tried turning over but the fuel pump or fuel pump relay is bad. Gonna do some research this week and hopefully get her running again.

20220908_222458.jpg

She's been sitting up in a neighbors driveway since the house is unused. Hacked the hood off with a Sawzall and unbolted it from the latches. Once she's running and driving, I'm gonna get her trailered to my boss' place and take the fenders off and try to source some new (to her) bodywork.

Then it'll just be seeing how she runs, fixing up wherever the power steering fluid is leaking from, getting the AC system sorted and having a second car to putt around in.

20220920_230626.jpg

Well I had her running for about 30 seconds, but I put a washer where I knew it wasn't mean to go so she was spraying fuel.

More crush washers are in the mail and I'll hopefully get to take her around the block tomorrow.

I've also located another Celica for a very reasonable price in California. Gonna go pick it up on Saturday with a trailer and investigate if I can fix it. If not, I'm gonna harvest it for parts for mine.

Oh no.
20220926_151426.jpg

So I found this '93 GT (5S-FE, ST184) on Facebook Marketplace for $500. Body was straight but it didn't run. Decided to pull the trigger, borrowing my boss' trailer and my Aunts old Durango to fetch it since it was in Coachella, CA and I'm in Phoenix. After a little side adventure to replace a flat tire on the trailer, it was back within the day.

20220926_151520.jpg

It has all the body panels I need. The hood (which is loosely sitting on the car) is straight except one dent. Fenders and everything else is there.

20220926_151508.jpg

20220928_173551.jpg

These Coupe trunks have some kind of design defect that they all suffer from and this one is the worst I've seen. Some previous owner gave up and probably bent it trying to get it to close. The hinges look to be in good shape at least and I need those.

20220926_151457.jpg

The car was subjected to a bad respray. Lots of evidence of poor masking on the weather stripping, and some of it is flaking off to reveal better-condition paint hidden below.

20220928_171249.jpg

20220928_171042.jpg

20220928_171017.jpg

20220928_171004.jpg

The engine bay has some wiring issues. My boss and buddy see it as fixable, but I'm at the point where I've realized that I just don't have the space, time or money for two Celica's. So as much as I'd like to save this car, I think I'm just gonna stick to the original plan and strip it. I hate to do it, even if this is the newer "better" car, but I just don't know what kind of wasps nest it's going to turn in to.

If I take it apart, it's gonna have anything and everything I can use on my ST removed, including the 5-lug hubs to do the full disc brake conversion. Fog lights, folding rear seat, tweeters, strut tower brace and more will all be harvested in addition to the needed bodywork. Other items will likely be removed to sell to recoup costs as well.

We'll see if my tune changes if I can get this car to run.

Meanwhile the ST has developed a fresh new issue. Going to examine the electrical components and clean up the terminals in the hopes that resolves it, otherwise it might need a new starter motor. Good thing I just happened to have purchased another one...

Attachments

• 20220928_171042.jpg
    20220928_171042.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OH NOOOOOOO

So my buddy came over to look at the car. We fastened some of the wiring issues together hastily and tried to start her up.

Engine turned over but no firing. Pulled the fuel pump and hot wired it to the battery and it worked fine. Pulled the spark plugs and didn't get any spark. Disassembled the distributor, zip tied a loose connector and as we were plugging the second connector back in, some of the sheath peeled back to reveal...

20221004_184213.jpg

A single yellow wire and it's hasty repair had come undone. Bud did a quick and dirty wiring job and ta-dah. She fired up.

MAF Sensor isn't connected and the gas is old so she ran rough, but she ran. After checking the fluids I tried to put her in drive to limp around my boss' yard but nothing happened except a big puddle of tranny fluid. We'll get it up on the lift soon to see what the cause is, but this was a very successful night and at the very least I can sell a running engine if I part the car out.

Or I can have a green/blue Celica instead of a red one.....

Latest Posts

Back