SNAIL Celicas

• Thread starter GTLehman
  • 22 comments
United States
Lihu'e, Hawaii
GTLehman
So, when I was 17ish (1987ish), and looking for my first car I got to test drive a 1980 Toyota Celica, and fell in love. To me it looked and drove like a true sports car - and even had a sporty extended exhaust pipe. I still remember sitting in those sporty seats and shifting and how crisp and correct it all felt. As it turned out, I ended up buying a 1980 Tercel, which I drove hard, flogged, sped, slid, spun, bent, fixed, autocrossed and loved. It was a fantastic car and began my life-long love of the Toyota Motor Company (after I sold it I soon bought an '87 MR2 - an even more fantastic car which I ended up owning for about twenty years). I only sold it so I could buy a pickup to pull a Formula Ford with. However, that Celica still floats through my dreams and I still search for them on Craigslist - it was the one that got away. If I could go back, I would have beg or or borrowed the extra $400 to buy IT instead of the Tercel, regardless of how much I liked the latter or how much more my insurance rates would have been, or how much my mom wanted me to have a more docile car. As a matter of trivia, both cars were silver.
Still being a Celica fan, I'd like to propose an informal race night this Friday. I figured we can start with the Celica 1600 (TA22) '70 on SS tires at say Tsukuba, then maybe do a round or two of ST205s (snow tires) at Chamonix to cool off the summahtime blues. let's shoot for 9:30PM EST. Make it if you can, just for fun. Maybe next week we'll do MRs....

Last edited:
Love the story and the event concept. I don't play gt6 these days but if totally get in oh this if I did.

Let's do some AutoX-ing bro. You bring your Celica, I'll bring my civic. Comfort tires for realistic grip. GT Arena. Say when.. :)

Let's do some AutoX-ing bro. You bring your Celica, I'll bring my civic. Comfort tires for realistic grip. GT Arena. Say when.. :)
Right- on! Will do - let's say Monday about 9PM tentatively.

@CoachMK21 Bring your Z? :)

I don't really have a plan for this other than just turning some laps and seeing how fast we can go in our real life cars. I'd like to open up the tuning regs so I can more closely match to my personal car from the game's version. (changing settings to that of my 5-speed 160hp Si vs. the game's 6-speed 200hp Type-R).

Last edited:
@CoachMK21 Bring your Z? :)

I don't really have a plan for this other than just turning some laps and seeing how fast we can go in our real life cars. I'd like to open up the tuning regs so I can more closely match to my personal car from the game's version. (changing settings to that of my 5-speed 160hp Si vs. the game's 6-speed 200hp Type-R).
Sounds great @Whitey093

Wow, this is evolving into 'a thing'! If we're talking real-life cars I oughta bring the '87 MR2 I used to have, I understand those were kings at autocross. My current car is an '11 STI and I don't know that it's such a great autocrosser.

I think the tuning is a great idea, it promises to not only be fun but a learning experience!

Ive always thought it would be fun to do an event where we use accurate replicas of our actual cars and auto seems like the best way to do it and have fun. Wheel to wheel could be difficult because everyones card would be too different. And theres no way to prevent cheating or exaggerating performance but if its snail and just for fun hopefully it will work out

Did a little bit of testing (at London) and my gearing is now fairly accurate as long as I shift at 6800 (Si redline) instead of the Type-R's 7400 rpm. everything else should be fairly similar since my actual car has an HFP suspension kit which I'm guessing brings it at least a little closer in performance to the Type-R's handling.

No testing needed here. The 07 mustang in gt6 is completely wrong compared to my actual 08 but nothing i can do. My previous car was a 94 trans am with headers, cat back, intake , chip, eibach pro springs, kyb adjustable shocks, subframe connectors, strut braces, rebuilt trans and many little modifications. I used to just make an order to summit or jegs whenever i had extra $ burning a hole in my pocket. Ive been playing with the 97 camaro in the game to try to accurately represent my old car but the gains in game from each part are overstated so im not sure how to keep it right and not overdo it yet.

Attachments

• 20160723_134936.jpg
    20160723_134936.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 12
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 12
I had to use the engine de-tuner to get the HP right for my car, plus I should watch the revs too. Of course it's still not "right", but at least the general power is near my car's and each gear tops out pretty close to the speed my car does at the appropriate rpm. Not that I'll be shifting more than once anyways...

What's most comparable to my dad's Mercury Cyclone fastback with everything chromed that could be chromed? At least that's how he described it when I was a kid. "Everything under the hood that could was shiny". And it was a gorgeous blue too. Shame it got in an accident and was totaled. No pictures of it :(

You know what would be fun... If we all got to drive each others' cars!

So I'm thinking just like an AX day, we all take turns doing a single lap from a standing start just behind the line. This way we can all watch each other's performance. We can do X rounds of that tracking our improvement and then start trying the other cars for fun and bragging rights. :)

'04 Honda Civic Type-R
  • de-tune to 160hp
  • Adjust transmission
    • 1st 3.062
    • 2nd 1.769
    • Final 3.764
  • CS tires
  • Redline @ 6800 rpm

Last edited:
Back