SNAIL open tuning (within the limits) Cancelled due to lack of interest.

• Thread starter JLBowler
  • 16 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLBowler

Premium
United States
California
JLBowler
Series structure:

Five races at five different tracks over the course of five months (Nov - March).

Racers will drop their worst points performances from the five races for the purpose of crowning the overall champion.

Eligible cars:

For the first version of this, we will stick to FR drivetrain and no race cars.

Cars must have a base HP lower than the max and a base PP lower than the maximum.

The intent here is to tune a car up to performance specs, not to detune a car to ridiculous levels to fit the regulations.

HP limit: 450
PP limit: 640
Weight min: 2,800 lbs.

Each driver may only use a car model one time in the race series. Example: Driver 1 uses a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X in week one. The driver would not be allowed to use any Mitsubishi Lancer for the remainder of the series. The driver would be allowed to use another Mitsubishi such as a 3000GT if they choose to.

Sport soft tires will be the only tire allowed for this series.

Race format:

All drivers will meet in the race lobby at the scheduled start time. There will be a free run session that will serve as qualifying. This session will last 15 minutes. After the 15 minute session there will be a 5 minute break and then the race will start. The field will be capped at 14 drivers. Racers will start according to their qualifying position.

Races will be be set to a number of laps to allow for just over 40 minutes of racing.

Points Format:

Standard SNAIL scoring. 16 for 1st, 15 for 2nd and so on.

All SNAIL rules for race craft and track boundaries will apply.

Last edited:
Schedule

November 15th
December 13th
January 17th
February 7th
March 6th

Tracks will be added soon.

Last edited:
Drivers list:

Name - Car number

1. JLBowler - 19
2. mopar440 - 03
3. Kgffy - 84
4. Worst_Driver - 13
5. Gurney67 - 67

Last edited:
Power and weight specs are still TBD along with the tracks. I will try and get these things set up either Tuesday or Wednesday night. Post here if you are interested and I'll add you to the drivers list.

Series structure:

Five races at five different tracks over the course of five months (Nov - March).

Racers will drop their worst points performances from the five races for the purpose of crowning the overall champion.

Eligible cars:

For the first version of this, we will stick to FR drivetrain and no race cars.

Cars must have a base HP lower that the max, a base weight higher than the minimum, and a base PP lower than the maximum.

The intent here is to tune a car up to performance specs, not to detune a car to ridiculous levels to fit the regulations.

HP limit: TBD
PP limit: TBD
Weight min: TBD

Each driver may only use a car model one time in the race series. Example: Driver 1 uses a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X in week one. The driver would not be allowed to use any Mitsubishi Lancer for the remainder of the series. The driver would be allowed to use another Mitsubishi such as a 3000GT if they choose to.

Sport soft tires will be the only tire allowed for this series.

Race format:

All drivers will meet in the race lobby at the scheduled start time. There will be a free run session that will serve as qualifying. This session will last 15 minutes. After the 15 minute session there will be a 5 minute break and then the race will start. The field will be capped at 14 drivers. Racers will start according to their qualifying position.

Races will be be set to a number of laps to allow for just over 40 minutes of racing.

Points Format:

Standard SNAIL scoring. 16 for 1st, 15 for 2nd and so on.

All SNAIL rules for race craft and track boundaries will apply.

450 HP, 2,800 lbs. and 640PP maximum tentative for now. Any testing and feedback on power and weight would be appreciated.

You can also start below the weight and add ballast to get to the minimum.

Last edited:
Is this a Willy nilly tuning with suspension mods etc? Or are you only allowing power and weight mods?

Four drivers does not make for a series. Unless we get some more interest, we may have to push back the start to December.

Race dates are in the second post. Tracks will be added soon.

If you were around when I was racing on a regular basis, you can probably guess a few of the tracks.

Last edited:
Here is my test of 5 different cars.

I used Autodrome Lago Maggiore West, a track that has a little bit of everything, slow to mid speed corners, two good straights and is short enough to as consistent as possible between different cars. I did quick 3 lap sessions with every car.

No engine swaps (duh!) no power restrictor and I only used ballast to add weight to reach the minimum when a stage reduced it under the minimum. There is a lot of options, I suggest you filter the car list from SNAIL Combo History spreadsheet. You can filter the FR cars below 450 HP. After that you can either lose some weight and/or add power. I also found that the stock suspension handled better on every single car, probably because I don't know how to tune it properly and drove on the preset parameters. Your results may vary.

20970497198500789.jpg

Toyota Supra 3.0 GT Turbo A '88
449 HP, 2800 lbs (Weight reduction 1+2 but added 46 kg / 101 lbs of ballast to reach minimum weight)
618.30PP
Lap time: 1:32.076

20970250841213036.jpg

Subaru BRZ S '21
443 HP, 2800 lbs (Stock weight, no mod required)
608.71 PP
Lap time: 1:31.003

20970623662036360.jpg

Dodge Viper GTS '02
448 HP (Stock power), 2800 lbs (Weight reduction 1+2 and added ballast to reach the minimum weight)
628.34 PP
1:29.596

20970038149465754.jpg

BMW M3 '07
448 HP 2800 lbs
628.41 PP
1:29.520

20970039248598551.jpg

Aston Martin V8 Vantage S '15
447 HP, 2800 lbs
632.49 PP
1:29.624

I realized post testing that I could have added aero mods and wide body on all the cars which would have increased the PP. This is just a basis for future testing but I like where this is going and I'm looking forward to the first event.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back