Snap oversteer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Lord-Jonty
Hi all, total tuning noob here but trying to learn a bit. I have a ton of cars that drive really well for the most part but are prone to snap oversteer, often I believe as a result of elevation changes destabilising the car.

Is there a good guide or some general rules of thumb to tune this behaviour out of a car? Would softening things help (i.e. Natural Frequency and ARB)?

I don't mess with the setups, but my take on it is, it's just the nature of GT7 physics.
The slip angle is very small compared to other games.

I struggled with it too (and still do) when I started playing GT7.
With time you learn to keep the car outside of the "oversteer zone" and catch the slipups more and more.

This next advice falls in to the duhhh category, but IN CASE someone does not already know - Either (and/or) lift / countersteer / wiggle the wheel to settle the car.

If you’re experiencing snap oversteer. It’s best to have toe in fir bothering the rear and front.

Example: 0.10 in front and 0.30 in rear. This with promote understeer. Also moving ballast to front can’t help as well. Adding a big wing and alot of downforce can’t help too. Reducing ride height low enough will improve center of gravity which will reduce snap oversteer tendency.

Ride height, especially rear does well to help with this. Higher rear downforce, at least 100 more then your front. Lowering front downforce. Higher settings on front suspension.

If it's during braking, put braking bias to the front 3-5.

No one explains LSD Braking: Higher settings keep the differential ( both tires ) locked together, insync, together so the car stops straighter.

This is real settings. Not just two clicks up or down.

You need to understand how the LSD Works and how it affects the car for a start. Then suspension settings can come later.Just slamming it down as far as possible and having all the downforce available won’t make a car competitive,some will be undriveable.

Some good advice here. Usually you have to be careful with the throttle in areas where there's a quick elevation change regardless of settings (like the uphill pseudo hairpin at Watkins) but there are ways to help. Knowing the LSD as mentioned (with initial torque/accel sensitivity dropping it all the way isn't always the best way. Some cars with like 480 lb ft/600bhp might want 45 & 50-55 instead of 10 & 5-10, for example. Just gotta find what a certain car prefers, but generally on high power cars they'll either want a low value or high value, at least in my experience)

But another thing I haven't seen mentioned is tailoring your transmission to the specific track. If you're in 1st or 2nd on a mid-speed corner and keep having the rear want to step out, you can lengthen the gears so that you're laying down a little less torque coming out of that corner, or conversely, shortening the gears so that the problem corner can be taken in 3rd. Also, try "softening" the rear end by lowering the rear natural frequency, as well as increasing the spring compression/expansion. You can try having a lower rear anti-roll bar value than the front, though this can make getting the nose around a corner more difficult (all depends on the car/track combo though)

When you start playing around with these settings, especially since you say it's otherwise driving fine, copy the sheet you're using so you don't mess up all the settings. Then start tinkering, changing/testing one variable at a time, on the settings sheet copy. If you just change the ride height, toe, springs, etc to random numbers all at once you can get into a mess really quick!

I read on here before physics got updated he'd run a viper with 6/4 ARB now it's more like 5/4 ARB. so ARB doesn't need to be too split now. Closer to even

adjustments to Initial & acceleration LSD also need to be factored in, the lower the number the more engagement at the beginning phase of cornering while a higher number brings the engagement towards the end of the cornering phase.
Recommended reading
Thanks interesting article. Registered a new account just to ask if you post your setups somewhere else? They really fit my driving technique so kind of missing them.. :)

Indeed he does. I'm.enjoying the process of branching out on my own though, it's nice to feel that the car is "yours" so to speak, and I have a few that have turned out pretty well.

Thanks for all the input, some great advice here.
I'm the same way on ownership. For GT6 and GT Sport I tuned my own cars and found the physics intuitive for the most part. But with GT7 even I struggled to learn how to tune for the new physics based on feel like I used to, so far Tuners here are saving me a lot of hassle.

Back