Snow

• Thread starter Bopop4
  • 10 comments
Canada
Guelph, Ontario
Since it's that time of year, what do you guys do with your bikes/ATVs/ATCs in the winter? How do you prep them, what kind of gear etc.

Today I've been trying to solve the problem of snow and the cold affecting the carb.
I've had the bike not be able to rev because the carb got covered in snow, and thus froze up, but in the past 2 days it was really bad. Made a carb shield out of a nut container but that still didn't fix it.
Finally took the bike apart and found out that the airbox was PACKED full of snow. Cleaned it out and it ran perfectly. : D

Now the only thing I have to do is try and find a way that will stop the snow from getting in there in the first place.

The winter prep I do is to stud the tires, 1/2 inch long screws in the front, and 5/8s in the back. The fronts never come out, but the centre lugs on the back usually have a few come out. Pattern is one on every tread block on the front, and 2 on every one on the back, but 4 on each lug in the centre row.

A carb shield, and an airbox shield, once I figure out how to make it. :lol:

I used to wear 3 pairs of pants, but I found that wearing jeans with slushpants overtop is better, and a sweater plus coat on top.
2-3 pairs of socks.
A round neck warmer, a balaclava, and a thin pair of winter gloves under the MX gloves.
I have a set of electric hand warmers that are yet to be installed as well.

So what do you guys do?

I haven't had my ATC out in the snow this year, but in the past I've got a custom rig thay we've used if we feel like installing it. Usually the tires are good enough but if we get a few feet of snow I'll stick a ski on the front of it and dual TRAX in the back.

I put some Isopropaline(whatever its called)in it and start it every week in the garage.

I haven't had my ATC out in the snow this year, but in the past I've got a custom rig thay we've used if we feel like installing it. Usually the tires are good enough but if we get a few feet of snow I'll stick a ski on the front of it and dual TRAX in the back.

I'd like to see a pic of that thing. 👍

Winter?

Oh, yeah. That's when I have to wear a sweatshirt under my mesh gear.

I was going to ask how you can ride a touring bike during the winter, then I looked at your location. :lol:

I put some Isopropaline(whatever its called)in it and start it every week in the garage.

D:
Why not this? ;)

And a vid from the other day.

I'd like to see a pic of that thing. 👍

This picture isn't mine but this is what inspired it. It's not nearly this large either.

2114582107_ebb9ac4dc6_o.jpg

No definitely not drop that like 5-6 inches if not more. But it was based on that.

When winter comes around, I finally get a chance to wear my nice leathers and feel a cool breeze :lol:

Florida boy problems

That would be pretty sweet. Are the front forks on that thing made out of wood?

In the picture I'm not sure, but the ones we did on mine were made of stainless steel tubing. They only measure about 2 inches around. They are also like a foot shorter too lol

Back