So… I’m a Ferrari Racing Driver

• Thread starter kart.no.38
  • 7 comments
South Africa
South Africa
david_perel
Hey everyone

I know it's been a while since I've posted but I've been quite busy trying to keep the racing dream alive. My mission since last year was to continue with Bonaldi and Lamborghini by racing in the European Super Trofeo Champs for 2016.

Things weren't looking good though as I could not raise the necessary capital to commit to the deal. Coupled with our currency fluctuating like the ocean, the light at the end of the tunnel was getting quite dim.

Then... about three weeks ago I got an email from Kessel Racing Ferrari asking if I could make it to a test in Italy the following week. They were looking for a "fast AM driver" to slot into one of their entries in the Blancpain Endurance Cup. As you can imagine... I took it with both hands (cost a fortune I didn't have but managed to round the necessary funds).

They had one of their Pro's there to benchmark me and by the end of day one I was pretty much on his pace - we were using a 458 GT3, my first time in such a beast. On day two I beat his times consistently.

Once I got back to South Africa things started to move quite quickly and the result is something I am incredibly proud of considering I only started GT racing last year...

Just yesterday I signed a 3 year deal to race for Kessel Ferrari with 2016 seeing my debut in the Blancpain Endurance Championship :) It is frankly unbelievable that I will be racing against the GT Academy boys, the same team I tried so damn hard to be a part of.

I look forward to bringing you more news and behind the scenes footage this year and thanks to Gran Turismo for keeping me sharp in my mid-20's :)

Here's a link to a more detailed post about the deal.

Next week I'll be in Paul Ricard for the official Blancpain test, it will be the first time I drive there so it will be interesting to say the least.

Since you now have a 3-year contract, do you still have to pay to race or is it finally the other way around?

After mixing it up with you in the rain lobby last night I remembered years ago reading stories here about a South African trying to make it into racing after not being able to compete in GT Academy. I searched for them again and finally put two and two together, it's the same person! It's great to see how far you've come.

Back