• Thread starter Dave A
  • 5 comments

Dave A

TreVoR fan for life
Premium
United Kingdom
Cuddington, Cheshire
JDA1982
A bit gutted, as I'm sure you can imagine. My wife returned to where she had parked our less than a year old Alfa Romeo last night only to find a note on the windscreen and the bonnet all caved in. Earlier in the day a tree had fallen and landed right on the front of our car and the back of one of her colleauges cars who was parked directly infront. The owners of the tree have tried to be helpful and fortunately took a picture before it was removed. I have contacted the insurance who have helpfully advised that the claim will need to be made against my own policy.

Fortuantely, it is just a car, and worst case is it's only money, no one was hurt, but as the tree that fell was in a persons garden and they have provided their home insurance details which we have passed on to our insurers I'm not 100% sure why we should take the hit. Long shot, but does anyone have any idea if I am being fobbed off by my insurer or if I am just going to have to bend over and take a hit?

on this?
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-23 at 20.06.43.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-23 at 20.06.52.jpeg

does anyone have any idea if I am being fobbed off by my insurer or if I am just going to have to bend over and take a hit?

You would go to your own insurance company if somebody had driven into you and it's the same for a tree i.e. you wouldn't make a claim to somebody else's insurance company, the paperwork would go through your own insurance.

The difficult part is in making sure that it's recorded as a no-fault no-claim accident. To that end your insurance company will seek to recover their costs (and therefore your costs) from the owner of the tree. You shouldn't be taking the hit. If the worst comes to the worst avail yourself of 30 mins with a solicitor to explore your options.

Question:

• What does "taking a hit" mean?
Does it mean, move on and pay for the damages yourself?

Question:

• What does "taking a hit" mean?
Does it mean, move on and pay for the damages yourself?
Pretty much, but more about the claim going against my policy and the increased premiums I will have to pay in the future as a result. I think getting the claim recorded as no fault is going to be the biggerst factor.

Pretty much, but more about the claim going against my policy and the increased premiums I will have to pay in the future as a result. I think getting the claim recorded as no fault is going to be the biggerst factor.

You really need to speak to your insurance company about how they're going to handle it. They should be looking at making a claim against the homeowner's home insurance policy. You weren't in the car and you weren't parked illegally (I hope) so it's hard to imagine you'll bear any fault.

You really need to speak to your insurance company about how they're going to handle it. They should be looking at making a claim against the homeowner's home insurance policy. You weren't in the car and you weren't parked illegally (I hope) so it's hard to imagine you'll bear any fault.
We have, and they have said they are unlikely to get the money from the tree owners home insurance. I am going to be pushing them on this, because there is no reason I can see as to why they shouldn't.

Back