So, about ABS...

  • Thread starter Thread starter ccjcc81
  • 11 comments
  • 2,719 views
Messages
45
I haven't played much GT5 online, but I used to play a lot of Forza online, and it seems that even in the servers most strict about driving aids, ABS 1 is always allowed. When I play GT5, I always play with ABS 0. Can someone more experienced with GT5 and cars in general explain how ABS 1 vs ABS 0 relates to a real automobile's anti-lock brake system? I know that real cars use ABS as a safety feature, but would ABS 1 realistically represent a car's factory ABS system, or does ABS 0? When does it stop being a representation of a factory car's ABS system and start becoming a driving assist?

Also, do race car drivers use any form of ABS?

I play solo-play with ABS 0 because in my opinion it's more fun and challenging, and shows off GT5's phenomenal physics capabilities, but if ABS 1 more accurately represents a real car's ABS capabilities, I'm just wasting my time! What do you guys think?
 
ABS 0 doesn't represent a car's ABS abilities because there is no ABS. ABS 1-3 might be more realistic but I always use ABS 1 (although cars tend to turn in easier with ABS 0).
 
If I''m hosting a race, it is usually all other aids off with ABS 1 (if it's something like LMP's i will allow TCS up to about 3). This is because it is very difficult for drivers without a proper racing wheel and pedals to get a feel for braking. It's very hard to be anything other than digital with your braking on a DS3.
 
If i may add to this theme; does changing ABS from 1-7 actually have any effect? I normally use ABS 1 as it eliminates the annoying skidding, except Enzo requires 2-3. Anyway does/can using 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 actually build on this in some manner?
 
This has been covered many times. GT5's ABS is "perfect" in that it doesn't let the wheels lock at all. This is in contrast to real ABS systems which have a finite response time, and actually cause the wheels to alternate between "locked" (sliding) and "rolling" states, with some useful braking in between.

Additionally, GT5's ABS has a stability control effect by constantly adjusting the brake bias to an in-built, safe value which is difficult to adjust. Couple this with the extraordinary stability in braking whilst cornering and it all starts getting a bit superlative. Many ABS systems in the real world lack this ability, although some modern ones definitely have it. It depends on the car.

As for ABS settings of greater than 1, this allows the overall braking power to be reduced when braking and turning at the same time, to allow the car to turn better on the brakes by sacrificing actual braking power. The higher the number, the greater the effect. This is technically an "aid", as it's possible to be faster with ABS set to 1 by manually adjusting the braking power with the controls, e.g. when trail braking, much like TCS and ASM can slow you down...
 
Since the ABS isn't realistic, I tend to race without it.
 
its no fun with abs...i set the brake bias so it oversteers into a corner soi can brake later, ive been trying no abs since ive had the game its cool
 
For me ABS: on = Fun: off, but I suppose it's just personal preference. In the real racing world, ABS is allowed in some series and disallowed in others, just like traction control. There used to be some cases where it was only allowed on certain cars but I don't know if anybody still does that. Generally, if it makes the car faster or more reliable, drivers will run it, whatever their personal feeling about whether they like it or not.

It's always allowed online because PD are jerks who enjoy frustrating their customers and won't let you turn it off, otherwise there would surely be lots of rooms without it. I personally don't use it and figure if I lose, I lose. I beat plenty of people who use it and lose to plenty who don't.

And you absolutely can use progressive braking control with the controller, with the stick or the triggers, just apparently most people don't. It just takes practice to find the amounts you need. Even with a wheel, the brakes in GT5 are very difficult to get exactly figured out.
 
i must say i drive with abs1, i have turned it off a few times for some events but realised that most modern supercars have abs, a lot of them have very advanced abs. if you are going for realism then you should have TC and ABS on the cars that have it and turn it off the cars that dont.

if you really want a challenge and havent ever tried this, turn off all visual aids to breaking in the options menu, turn off abs and all other aids, then drive around the 'ring in cockpit view! i must say it made gt5 a hell of a lot harder!
 
I use ABS in classic DTMs, some Group C cars, F2007, FGT and LMP1s cause they do have ABS.
 
...

if you really want a challenge and havent ever tried this, turn off all visual aids to breaking in the options menu, turn off abs and all other aids, then drive around the 'ring in cockpit view! i must say it made gt5 a hell of a lot harder!

Highly recommended, good fun. Cockpit view(best with no HUD at all) at the ring is a blast, especially around dawn or dusk. Just don't look too closely at the trees. :)

It'll certainly teach you to feel the brakes too(as much as you can feel them with your ears).
 
I keep ABS on 1 at all times, simply because I have a very heavy left foot.
 
Back