So braking bias ?

United Kingdom
bristol
smokebeer
How does it work in this game guys compared to other "sim" is 0 50/50 for the car our the brake's or is it all messed up because abs is on ?

It's yet another design choice they should leave in the past for something more intuitive i think ?

I can only speak for myself, unfortunately I don't really understand what your question is because of the translation.

But I'll try to answer what I can guess... I think the brake force distribution corresponds pretty much exactly to the vehicles in real life.

As far as I know, there is no "real" 50/50 there either, but rather a 70/30 -60/40. However, in game it is shown as 50/50 to make minor changes from here. Good example.. the M6 at the CE. I am firmly convinced that the car does not have a 50/50 braking force distribution in the race, but like other cars it uses significantly more braking force at the front.

With mCE, many drivers are now shifting the brake force distribution further to the rear. Even with that, we probably won't come close to a real 50/50 rann, but this shift to zb. +4 we relieve the front wheels and stabilize the rear by creating more "tractive force" there when braking. If the original brake force distribution were really 50/50 and we shifted to +4 or +5, every slightly heavier braking process in a corner should lead to oversteering by locking the rear wheels.

The way I see it it's just a relative change to whatever PD decides the 0 corresponds to for that car in absolute terms.

In the end I think it doesn't change much; you'll go with what feels right, rather than for the right number

The way I see it it's just a relative change to whatever PD decides the 0 corresponds to for that car in absolute terms.
The 0 ideally would be different for each car depending on the individual cars weight distribution and weight transfer during braking.
But this is difficult to test ingame, same goes for how much difference each step on the balance is doing.

In the end it is us players relying on feel and handling to set it to whatever we think fits us best (and that is how it should be).

The 0 ideally would be different for each car depending on the individual cars weight distribution and weight transfer during braking.
But this is difficult to test ingame, same goes for how much difference each step on the balance is doing.

In the end it is us players relying on feel and handling to set it to whatever we think fits us best (and that is how it should be).
Which makes it all the more dramatic that you can't change BB in sport racing.

Max is right on the money with his reply. The bias is just a modifier to the "standard" brake distribution, which we can't see directly in game, but will be front-heavy.

When using bias (also in GTSport), the very top of the braking bar goes red (I checked this with no ABS). I take this to mean the overall braking force is weakened because you are creating the bias by weakening force on one axle. So if you adjust bias rearwards, the front brake gets weaker (compared to its strong starting value) and the rear stays standard (at its starting value), you do not get a better rear brake. But the effect is still "bias rearwards".

You can see that if you change brake kit and brake pads, using no ABS: if you can just lock the front wheels, then adjusting bias rearwards will make the front wheels un-lockable as you've weakened the front brake. So in this case you would then need to upgrade the pads by one or two stages. I generally tune balance without ABS as you can see which wheels lock and when. You can then re-enable ABS when you're finished.

The red section on the braking bar seems smaller than what I remember in GTSport. In GTSport, you could look at the +5 bias red section, and the -5 red section, and they were different sizes. It's probably possible to reverse engineer the hidden "standard" brake distribution from this. I have not (yet) tried this in GT7...

Last edited:
Isn't it logical that by adjusting brake bias makes one stronger and one weaker? You have 100% of braking force (/fluid) and just distribute it to various extends to the front and rear. Afaik - in a real car - you can't really adjust brake bias to be 65-30 for example.

As a rule, the brakes on the vast majority of real vehicles are generally stronger and larger at the front than at the rear. There is also a simple physical reason for this, because when you brake, the weight of the vehicle is shifted forward... if the brake systems were identical and the brake pressure was the same, the rear wheels would lock up very early. Therefore, for this reason alone, there must be more braking power at the front. And this force, which is specified by the manufacturer for the axles, is then considered the zero point. From this basic setting, we will probably vary the braking force distribution in a range of 20-25%, not from the absolute force but from the force set for each axle. At least that's how it feels to me and would correspond to my layman's view of vehicle technology.

@Nuschel01 I think on real cars there are different types of valves, one type proportions brake pressure (I do not know how they work internally), some are "metering valves" which only open after a certain pressure is reached, this gives one axle a head-start on braking force. There are also electronic brake force systems which use the ABS modulator to regulate pressure at different wheels. So it is possible to either have full brake line pressure at a wheel, or to restrict pressure. I have no idea if the GT7 implementation is realistic though. I'm not an engineer so may have got this wrong!

@xMAXIx79 I suspect your percent numbers are very close in GT7, this is exactly how I imagine it working in the game. Even with full rear bias I still lock the front wheels first on my S13 Silvia. I have edited my reply above for clarity.

:cheers:

Back