So... GT6 broke my PS3...

• Thread starter ebadevil
  • 19 comments
United States
Atlanta, GA
EBA_Devil
Was doing the Apricot Hill seasonal in my Lexus... at the tuning screen, all kinds of weird things started showing up on screen (like static) and the PS3 froze... I tried and tried to shut it off holding down the button but it would not respond... had to flip the I/O switch... it is now not displaying anything after I turn it on... DS3 not recognized either... I tried taking the steps to fix the black screen but I can't even get to the boot loader or whatever its called on the PS3...just blank... tried 2 TVs, 3 HDMI cords, 2 power cables, 2 hard drives, nothing works... my PS4 works just fine with all of those (well, clearly not the PS3 HDDs)... never had a problem with it before... it never froze on me once, ever... so now I gotta get a new PS3 if I want to play again... sad... thanks PD...

PS my setup is very well ventilated... it did not overheat for sure, as it still technically turns and everything... it's just not displaying anything at all...

Sounds like you file system might have become corrupt. I happened to me a lot back in GT5.

Have you tried holding the On button for 10 seconds when turning on? You should be 2 beeps (not 1 beep) and get the Recovery Menu.

Copied from Interwebs:

How to Access Playstation Recovery Menu

1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

yup, I've done that like 20 times at this point, but thank you for the advice... I think I'll try it again tomorrow after I get back from work...

turned PS3 off... held the power button down for 3 beeps... then held it again, one beep, one beep, two beeps... should go into the recovery mode... but TV says no signal received... I try to sync the controller but get 4 flashing lights... even in the supposed "recovery mode" it's not even recognizing the DS3... it looks like it's going through the right motions, the lights are there, the beeps are there... but doesn't display anything and doesn't sync the controller... I tried with various cords, TVs and even two separate HDDs...

This isn't a lot of help, but I know when I replaced the hard drive in my PS3 and needed to go into the recovery menu, it needed me to connect my controller using the cable, rather than wireless.

Have you got another way of connecting the PS3 to your TV? Mine defaulted to using scart, rather than hdmi. Might be worth a try?

Threads such as this have convinced me that I should not bother playing GT6 on my PS3. (That, and how unfinished the game sounds.) Thank you all for the warnings. Looks like another GT6 in the returns-bin. Bummer.

Every forum, for every game has threads like this, people convinced the specific game they play is a console killer.

Sorry for the death of your PS3, but there are a multitude of reasons a machine can fail, it just happens you where playing GT6 at the time, mere coincidence.

Every forum, for every game has threads like this, people convinced the specific game they play is a console killer.

Sorry for the death of your PS3, but there are a multitude of reasons a machine can fail, it just happens you where playing GT6 at the time, mere coincidence.

Idd and simply having it well ventilated dsnt prevent something from overheating... When was the last time you cleaned out the air filters for example?

Was doing the Apricot Hill seasonal in my Lexus... at the tuning screen, all kinds of weird things started showing up on screen (like static) and the PS3 froze... I tried and tried to shut it off holding down the button but it would not respond... had to flip the I/O switch... it is now not displaying anything after I turn it on... DS3 not recognized either... I tried taking the steps to fix the black screen but I can't even get to the boot loader or whatever its called on the PS3...just blank... tried 2 TVs, 3 HDMI cords, 2 power cables, 2 hard drives, nothing works... my PS4 works just fine with all of those (well, clearly not the PS3 HDDs)... never had a problem with it before... it never froze on me once, ever... so now I gotta get a new PS3 if I want to play again... sad... thanks PD...

PS my setup is very well ventilated... it did not overheat for sure, as it still technically turns and everything... it's just not displaying anything at all...
Was it sounding like a jet engine (or PDs hoover) before it went?

Sounds to me that the HDMI-out has crapped out... Happened to me a while ago... now I just use RGB component cable

Yes. I would suggest connecting the DS3 with a USB cable. And try using a component/composite/RGB scart instead of HDMI just to explore the problem.

I have a first gen fat... it was working just fine... no loud noises, nothing that would otherwise suggest any sort of malfunction... it just stopped out of the blue... I don't know how to clean out air filters, but I did just buy a new tv for thanksgiving, so I rearranged everything... in the process I vacuumed out all the vents so it should've gotten rid of most dust/etc that might have been blocking the vents... it didn't feel hot at all and it was still on... if it overheated, wouldn't it shut down? It still turns on, I don't think overheated electronics even turn on...

I'm gonna have to try the RGB cable... the unfortunate part is that I don't have the original one anymore... I'm gonna have to get a new one somewhere... will gamestop or best buy work or am I gonna have to use Amazon or eBay?

And yea, I used two separate cords and two separate controllers... both plugged in through usb to try and work it... but I don't see a picture... and it's not reading the controller even plugged in...

Also, thanks for all the help guys...

Tried a Scart lead? Maybe your HDMI port is knackered

For future reference;

He's from Atlanta Georgia. We don't use SCART in the US.

👍

I have a first gen fat... it was working just fine... no loud noises, nothing that would otherwise suggest any sort of malfunction... it just stopped out of the blue... I don't know how to clean out air filters, but I did just buy a new tv for thanksgiving, so I rearranged everything... in the process I vacuumed out all the vents so it should've gotten rid of most dust/etc that might have been blocking the vents... it didn't feel hot at all and it was still on... if it overheated, wouldn't it shut down? It still turns on, I don't think overheated electronics even turn on...

I'm gonna have to try the RGB cable... the unfortunate part is that I don't have the original one anymore... I'm gonna have to get a new one somewhere... will gamestop or best buy work or am I gonna have to use Amazon or eBay?

And yea, I used two separate cords and two separate controllers... both plugged in through usb to try and work it... but I don't see a picture... and it's not reading the controller even plugged in...

Also, thanks for all the help guys...

Any PS2/PS3 component outputs will work.

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/mad-catz-universal-component-cable/33927
http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/ps3-component-av-cable/64186
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11402&cs_id=1140202&p_id=4009&seq=1&format=2

Threads such as this have convinced me that I should not bother playing GT6 on my PS3. (That, and how unfinished the game sounds.) Thank you all for the warnings. Looks like another GT6 in the returns-bin. Bummer.

It's not like this happens to everyone....

No worries mate... Seems the HDMI thing is a common problem in systems getting a bit old... Still, it's lasted longer than a lot of other modern electronics

Thanks cheese... I'll stop by GS after work today and report if it worked or not...

I owned two PS3s... both first gen fats... sold the first one... so I really don't know much about other versions of the PS3... if I have to replace this one, should I get the slim or the super slim? Or try to hunt down another old-school fat? Should I just forget backwards compatibility and just stick to pc emulation for my ps2 games? It's not like I have many...

GT5 wrecks my board due to running temperature, disconnecting my CPU or GPU... I've fixed it myself several times, but it's always been after playing GT5 that by system YLOD's - and it's the 80GB BC version (Ceche01).

Apparently the reason is because the board is set upside down in the box when laid horizontally, but a new board would allow GT6 to run without breaking the thing - once I get a new hard drive, that is.

It sounds like you're having a different problem than me, though.

My diagnosis, your PS3 died of old age. GTA IV killed my 60gb fatty many moons ago :(.

I'm on my 6th fatty 60GB, all previous 5 died for different reasons and I've had so many breakages I don't have to pay for the replacements (from Sony) even out of warranty. No game broke my consoles, they just broke themselves.

As others have suggested try a different output source, but you should still get the controller to register if you have found the recovery menu (even though you can't see it). I found sometimes I struggle to reach the recovery menu on first attempt, if you've never done it before Youtube should help you find out what you should be doing/seeing exactly. If you can't get anything on screen with multiple output types but the PS3 remains on it's time to consult Sony for your options (they might offer a freebie replacement, they might not don't ask don't get).

Back