So I hear this is not what I thought.

Chicano3000X
Chicano3000
I was thinking "Rollercoaster tycoon" but instead of building with rollercoaster pieces, you add track pieces. Then add scenery. Why did they decide to go with a random generator? Doesn't sound very fun.

Overall though, what are it's strong points?

Last edited:
It probably has something to do with the way the circuit is drawn in-game. If you were placing pieces of track, the game might struggle to create it properly, particuarly when there are hills.

Plus, there's probably licencing issues. People would just re-create Spa and Silverstone and Polyphony doesn't have the licences for them.

I was thinking "Rollercoaster tycoon" but instead of building with rollercoaster pieces, you add track pieces. Then add scenery. Why did they decide to go with a random generator? Doesn't sound very fun.

Strong points? Can create a decent course very quickly. Can create very, very fast circuits and ridiculously tight ones. Variation in turns is pretty good too.

Short comings? Eifel and Mt. Aso tracks tend to be very hilly. Can't integrate random tracks into A-Spec mode. More themes (like Eifel/Circuit desert or Tokyo Bay for full-size cars) would be nice. Eifel Circuit can be kind of bland looking. Would've loved to see a "super" circuit theme that approximates a brand new place like Turkey or Shanghai or Yas Marina

It probably has something to do with the way the circuit is drawn in-game. If you were placing pieces of track, the game might struggle to create it properly, particuarly when there are hills.

Plus, there's probably licencing issues. People would just re-create Spa and Silverstone and Polyphony doesn't have the licences for them.
As long as it's not Spa, or Silverstone etc, etc scenery, I don't see how there would be a problem.
I guess the owners of the course could try and sue the individual user, if they were desperate.

I do find it after all these years the only game on a console you could truely make full tracks on was 4x4EVO on the dreamcast. It required a PC, but it's used existing game resources so that you could make a full track that looked like nothing in the game using just under 100KB of storage.

Shame really. :(

Even more a shame because it looks like generated tracks work on a height map just like that game as well.

There are very little strong points in my opinion. There are different scenes BUT they all have the same basic layouts, regardless of what the track looks like. You tell the generator you want 10 complexity on every section, it draws a straight line. Uhhh, I didn't know the most complex way from one point to another was in a straight line.

I think it lacks even more options to actually make it usable. The tracks are never really unique, they are all kind of.. round? They hardly ever back track and go within the 'circle' of the track. The scenes get boring after just trying to change a few settings and testing them out. You can't adjust elevation changes, you just have to hope for the best. Which is annoying because I don't want my track to have the hill climb of a life time and 30 degree hills down to a 90 degree turn.

It just isn't worth it to me to make any tracks. If they still allowed me to have point to point tracks (which I really want to know why they took it out) it might be a lot more fun, with the addition of a mountain course. Otherwise the locations aren't the best, and the settings severely limit my ability to create fun tracks

I don't like that when you set more than one turn to 10 complexity than it either straightens out the original 10 or makes the new one straight. I do like that they included it because it's a good idea that they can improve on in the future. I think this was more or less of a test to see how people would react to it and see what kind of changes people want.

I do find it after all these years the only game on a console you could truely make full tracks on was 4x4EVO on the dreamcast. It required a PC, but it's used existing game resources so that you could make a full track that looked like nothing in the game using just under 100KB of storage.

Shame really. :(

Even more a shame because it looks like generated tracks work on a height map just like that game as well.

V-Rally 2 Expert Edition on Dreamcast also allowed you to make your own courses from the roads to the elevation and didn't require any PC. 👍

It's WAY too generic for me. When I heard there was going to be a course maker in game I was exicted. I wanted to make a rendition of Firebird International Raceway that I used to race motorcycles on, as well as Mid-Ohio, one of my favourite tracks of all time. I grew up 10 minutes away from it and worked there as a teen selling programs to get into the racing 'free'.

Big let-down when I found out it's this generic type if track creator. TOTALLY random but you can change 'slightly the characteristics. The old "GenRally" game had a better track creator!!!!

Again, this is a great game, a JEM of a game, but I was totally mislead by some of the info 'leaks' on this game as it was coming to fruition.

I still love it, but it could have been just that much better had some of these things been addressed. Who knows...better track creator to be released as DLC later? (Hoping so!)

I've noticed that in both the course maker and the randomized "GT Rally" challenges, the track generator has a habit of placing blind turns at or immediately after the crest of a hill.

Aside from the oddly empty scenery, though, it's pretty decent at creating a generic country road.

I think we were all wanting to be able to hand-craft circuits rather than just randomly generating them. It's a big disappointment, and the tracks tend to be fairly generic and lack any sort of character, but once in a while you can come across something that's fairly enjoyable to drive around. You can get a surprise every once in a while.

Recreating actual tracks is easily half of what we were wanting to do. However, I don't think it's an issue with licensing. To illustrate, there's all sorts of user-created stuff that's shown up in Forza Motorsport 3 that Turn 10 has absolutely no licenses to, and it hasn't caused them any grief. As a specific example, there are NASCAR stock cars in the game, but no actual liveries, but this never stopped users from recreating liveries of actual NASCAR drivers, or fictional ones like Ricky Bobby. Lots of vinyls and liveries have also been created with logos and imagery from just about anything you can imagine, and it's never been a problem. Heck, there's even PlayStation and Gran Turismo vinyls/liveries in FM3.

I wouldn't mind the generic layouts as much if we could race these tracks online. I thought was that the whole point of the course maker in the first place. You have to upload a track to the server anyway for sharing with your friends, why can't we race it online, even if we could only race one at a time? Just doesn't make any sense.

That said I do enjoy making tracks with it. It also gives me a good excuse to drive my favourite cars when I test a new track.

V-Rally 2 Expert Edition on Dreamcast also allowed you to make your own courses from the roads to the elevation and didn't require any PC. 👍
FUEL also allows you to create up to 92 mile long courses through some very varied terrain (still the biggest open world game around) and you can do that as circuit or point to point and it there for the PS3.

Okay, that's an arcade race game but you can store ten of those self created tracks for online play as well.

This is why I agree that the ability to export GT5's track editor creations to online would be great.

Needs and interface like ModNation Racers.

This is funny because when ModNation Racers was released, I saw a video on the website featuring Kaz and he was saying how wonderful the game is, especially the Track Editor. Half a year later, it was announced that GT5 will include a Course Creator. I bet if it wasn't for ModNation Racers, we probably wouldn't have a Course Creator.

^ yup. My son loves building courses... It is easy enough for him but detailed enough for me... as you can alter elevation on sections of the track... make on/off camber corners, and then raise/lower the outer edges of the corners and adjust by sections or by mutliple sections, width, curvature, surface type, etc. It's pretty involved if you really try and work it, but is a total blast.

I honestly wouldn't even care if the detail was lacking on the created courses. I'd just like to be able to attempt to make replica tracks of my real local circuits and some of my own design rather than rely on some 'random generator'.

We can only hope that it is 'in the works' whether for this title or the next one.

why can't we race it online, even if we could only race one at a time? Just doesn't make any sense.

The closest you can come to this is on 2 player split screen.

My brother and I did this last week, built a Tokyo Bay Kart course, found one that looked good. He drove a Kart and I tried chasing him in a Lotus Elise, it was quite a lot of fun.

But even saying that, I don't think We'll be rushing back to do it again as split screen play is sorta lousy.

I've noticed that in both the course maker and the randomized "GT Rally" challenges, the track generator has a habit of placing blind turns at or immediately after the crest of a hill.

Aside from the oddly empty scenery, though, it's pretty decent at creating a generic country road.

It's fun to punch out an interesting and challenging hilly track and just go whizzing around.

But yes, the preponderance of "sharp right, over crest" turns is a bit odd.

I believe it's more the former than the latter. Since it uses hilly terrain for some templates, allowing people to place roads willy-nilly over the landscape might lead to poor track piece alignment. Still... I wish that they would simply give us the ability to choose which direction the turns go, and then decide how best to implement them itself... rather than deciding on the turns and having us program their parameters.

Licensing is likely a non-issue. You can't sue the game developer for user-created content (a la Forza3).

There might be an issue if such tracks were distributed via the PSN, but as long as they aren't advertised as part of the game and nobody sells them for money, I doubt anyone will be willing to pursue that angle.

Back