So I think I figured out where Cape Ring is (maybe)

United States
California
CommanderCyclops
This thread got me thinking about Cape Ring, and I'm calling it as Cape Sata on the southern tip of the island of Kyushu in Japan. The geography doesn't match up perfectly, but I think it's at least inspired by this area.

First off, just poking around in photo mode, I found signs that clearly place it in Japan.

Then I used Google Earth to try to find the volcano, and I'm pretty sure it's Mount Kaimondake. Here's a few pictures of it from Cape Sata

That has to be it!

Also, if you look over the top of the loop, you see this

And on the western side of Cape Sata, there's a town (Sataizashiki?) that looks like this

Coincidentally (or not), the island of Kyushu is also the home of Mount_Aso.

Back in GT5 I thought the track was on the IZU Peninsula - South East of Fujiyama .

Izu also offers two scenic roads, called "Izu Skyline" (伊豆スカイライン) and "West Izu Skyline" (西伊豆スカイライン)that offer beautiful views on nature and Mt. Fuji. Both skyline roads are favorite spots of car and motorcycle enthusiasts.

about 40 seconds into it.

And it says Skyline... Kaz likes a nice bit of Skyline.

http://fulgerica.com/en/2008/02/11/double-spiral-bridge/

is a real life spiral (Helical I prefer...) bridge that is also in the old Izu Province.

Maybe Izu has road similarities, while Cape Sata is the scenery.

EDIT: I shared the news to a friend and he told me the track layout has similarities to the TI Aida (Okayama) circuit in Japan. Although it bares no relation to Kyushu, I cannot agree with him especially with the inside section of the circuit matching the inside section of Cape Ring full.

aida.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure I read a comparison of the track with Ti Aida back when GT5 was launched.

Nice work OP, I'd say you've definitely found the real world location that inspired the environs!

Maybe Izu has road similarities, while Cape Sata is the scenery.

EDIT: I shared the news to a friend and he told me the track layout has similarities to the TI Aida (Okayama) circuit in Japan. Although it bares no relation to Kyushu, I cannot agree with him especially with the inside section of the circuit matching the inside section of Cape Ring full.

aida.jpg
Okayama is nothing like cape ring. Match drawings on a map all you like (which I am sure with the thousands of global tracks many tracks will have similar parts), but when you drive both of them they are nothing at all alike.

This thread got me thinking about Cape Ring, and I'm calling it as Cape Sata on the southern tip of the island of Kyushu in Japan. The geography doesn't match up perfectly, but I think it's at least inspired by this area.

First off, just poking around in photo mode, I found signs that clearly place it in Japan.

Then I used Google Earth to try to find the volcano, and I'm pretty sure it's Mount Kaimondake. Here's a few pictures of it from Cape Sata

That has to be it!

Also, if you look over the top of the loop, you see this

And on the western side of Cape Sata, there's a town (Sataizashiki?) that looks like this

Coincidentally (or not), the island of Kyushu is also the home of Mount_Aso.

I'm not exactly convinced. It has some similarities, but not an exact match, even if just using it for the skybox. There are volcanoes all over Japan and the entire Pacific Ocean, so being a tall cone makes that a match to countless volcanoes throughout the Ring of Fire. That cape in the last couple photos appear similar, but not an identical match, like how that slender bit of land arches differently with one hooking inward and the other outward, and I'm sure there must be several other similar features sprinkled throughout the tens of thousands of miles of coastlines around the world.

Don't get me wrong. It's interesting finding a location with cosmetic similarities and all, but it's probably just a coincidence.

Wow. Never noticed those signs. And I think that the Mt. Aso thing confirms it is Kyushu. After all, Ronda is near Ascari and also a (future) course maker track.

Back