so IS F vs M3: which one is faster in game?

• Thread starter Kryz11
  • 29 comments

Kryz11

We are all one mind.
Premium
NoxNoctisUmbra
hey everyone,
i dont have the game yet, and I sit here patiently for the US release very excited. Recently Ive seen some disputes about the IS F is the M3 killer, but in my mind I disagree. Sure the IS F is a nice car, would love to have it, but i dont think it can beat it on the track. so can anyone compare the 2 cars.. do a lil review, say how they both handle... speed tests. braking.. comming out of corners.. ETC :) its your review so write anything that comes to your mind

as well post some fast lap times with both cars. It would be good to see at least 3 different track lap times. and with at least 2-3 tire setups for those 2 cars. Like having best tires, and having the normal sports tires. I think it would be a very interesting outcome :)

thanks...
PS i wonder what other cars can compare.. 350z vs stang? or viper vs vette? ( too bad the viper is a older model)

I like the IS-F more than the M3 because it has much more torque in the low gears. The M3 revs more but the IS-F has a very fast 8-speed tiptronic.

can you do some lap time times? and go to the Daytona and tell which one is faster..

so it has more torque at lower RPM? hmm... so i guess its more fun to drive since u have so much power, doing some dough nuts and burnouts 👍

I like the IS-F more than the M3 because it has much more torque in the low gears. The M3 revs more but the IS-F has a very fast 8-speed tiptronic.

"Tiptronic" is a type of automatic transmission specific to, developed and traded marked by Porsche. The IS-F tranny had nothing to do with the term "Tiptronic".

"Tiptronic" is a type of automatic transmission specific to, developed and traded marked by Porsche. The IS-F tranny had nothing to do with the term "Tiptronic".

Thats how its called just look at second had cars in the UK, people call it a tiptronic transmission. You can't call it an automatic because how will you know the diverence betwean a normal automatic and one with a manual mode.

And here are some time's at the london track. (professional S3 everything off)

Lexus IS-F 0:59,172 (mine record and its also the online record)
BMW M3 1:00,050 (the online record is 0:59,785)

And here are some time's at the london track. (professional S3 everything off)

Lexus IS-F 0:59,172 (mine record and its also the online record)
BMW M3 1:00,050 (the online record is 0:59,785)

wow i never suspected for Lexus to win :) especially on a short circuit :)

pretty awesome :) whats the top speed of both?

M3 all the way. I hate torque converters.

Just incase you didnt know.....on the ISF (the real car)....after second gear the car actually "disables" the torque converter for the rest of the gear changes........

Pretty nice techno stuff from Toy/Lex.............but anyway....give me the M3....i'm going to try some laps myself in the two

Just incase you didnt know.....on the ISF (the real car)....after second gear the car actually "disables" the torque converter for the rest of the gear changes........

Pretty nice techno stuff from Toy/Lex.............but anyway....give me the M3....i'm going to try some laps myself in the two

dont forget to do daytona (sp? lol sorry) i wanna see how much speed affects both cars on that track

And the lexus IS-F has very short gears thats also a advantage over the M3.

And something i noticed, with every car in the game automatic or manual. When you shift the throtle bar become's red for a very short time, but with the IS-F the transmission shift that fast that the bar newer become's red. The 8-speed transmission shifts in 0.1 of a second.

Here are some quick specs from the real life cars...

BMW M3 08 V8, 414hp @ 8400rpm 6spd manual tran, 7spd sequential
0-60mph in 4.8s top speed 155mph (limited)

Lexus IS-F 07 v8 417hp @ 6600rpm 8spd tiptronic

Here are some quick specs from the real life cars...

BMW M3 08 V8, 414hp @ 8400rpm 6spd manual tran, 7spd sequential
0-60mph in 4.8s top speed 155mph (limited)

Lexus IS-F 08 v8 400hp @ 6400rpm 8spd tiptronic
0-60mph in 4.9s top speed 155mph (limited)

your specs of LEXUS are all wrong

MAX. POWER 422.8 PS (417.0 bhp) (311 kW)
@6600 rpm

MAX. TORQUE 505.0 Nm (372 lbft) (51.5 kgm)
@5200 rpm

BMW m3

MAX. POWER 419.8 PS (414.0 bhp) (308.7 kW)
@8300 rpm

MAX. TORQUE 400.0 Nm (295 lbft) (40.8 kgm)
@3900 rpm

so the extra litter in the Lexus produces hell lots of more TORQUE.. and the Lexus is only 35 Kilograms heavier..

your specs of LEXUS are all wrong

MAX. POWER 422.8 PS (417.0 bhp) (311 kW)
@6600 rpm

MAX. TORQUE 505.0 Nm (372 lbft) (51.5 kgm)
@5200 rpm

BMW m3

MAX. POWER 419.8 PS (414.0 bhp) (308.7 kW)
@8300 rpm

MAX. TORQUE 400.0 Nm (295 lbft) (40.8 kgm)
@3900 rpm

so the extra litter in the Lexus produces hell lots of more TORQUE..

hmm thats weird..maybe the NA version is different? On all the sites I go to it shows the specs I posted.

hmm thats weird..maybe the NA version is different? On all the sites I go to it shows the specs I posted.

well they are wrong.. if GT game has the same specs as the trusty site i use.. then i have the correct specs ;)
so no biggie. go to carfolio.com a good site

and of course, GT is not using false power and torque numbers...

well they are wrong.. if GT game has the same specs as the trusty site i use.. then i have the correct specs ;)
so no biggie. go to carfolio.com a good site

and of course, GT is not using false power and torque numbers...

The IS-F in carfolio is 07, while the one I posted is 08...maybe thats why. Il just change my specs to 07 then.

The IS-F in carfolio is 07, while the one I posted is 08...maybe thats why. Il just change my specs to 07 then.

so dont tell me 08 will have less power? lol

i dont know i think dates are wrong on carfolio... same goes for the M3.. both are 07.. its just a glich in the site, but im sure if GT has same specs as in carfolio for both cars, they are true specs.. besides, GT team goes to LEXUS or whatever they do and make sure all the specs are correct ;)

anyways, it be nice to see more lap times and top speeds :)

PS by now i bet i sound like a smart ass, but hey what u ganna do :P

I decided to do a few tests out of sheer curiosity. Now this isn't car magazine calible writing so please keep that in mind, I'm simply giving my personal opinion

Here are a few specs I grabbed from Japanese car magazine xaCAR for comparison.

Lexus IS-F
ENGINE: 4968cc V8 DOHC
POWER: 311kW(423ps)/6600rpm
TORQUE: 505Nm(51.5kgm)/5200rpm
TRANS: 8spd AT
0~100km/h: 4.8s
TOP SPEED: 270km/h
WEIGHT: 1690kg

BMW M3
ENGINE: 3999cc V8 DOHC
POWER: 309kW(420ps)/8300rpm
TORQUE: 400Nm(40.8kgm)/3900rpm
TRANS: 6spd MT
0~100km/h: 4.8s
TOP SPEED: 250km/h (limited)
WEIGHT:1630kg

I did a few laps round Fuji Speedway and Suzuka Circuit to see how the performance of the cars would differ on each track. I also did a few (very uncientific) performance tests. Here is the settings I used:

Physics: Proffesional
TCS & ASM: Off
Tires: N2
Wheel: G25

I used the manual paddle-shift for the Lexus and H-pattern shift and clutch with the BMW.

Here are a few figures I recorded:

0~100km/h
IS-F: 5.6s
M3: 5.8s

0~160km/h
IS-F: 10.7s
M3: 11.4

200~0km/h
IS-F:5.5s
M3: 5.4

I tried lots of diffrent starting tecniques with both cars but my figures are way off compared to the manufacturers claims. Anyway, both cars were pretty much equal, the Lexus being fractionally faster to 100km/h but widens the gap as the speed increases to 160km/h. I don't know what brakes these cars have but the BMW stopped fractionally quicker, is this down to it's slight weight advantage?

I decided on Fuji and Suzuka because the are wildly diffrent, Fuji is much faster, it's wider and the turns are relatively fast save for the trickly last section before the long straight.

Fuji Speedway
IS-F: 2'04.4
M3: 2'05.0

I expected the IS-F to be faster here, quite simply because it has more power, and despite it having a automatic transmission, acceleration was strong as it surged from gear to gear. The BMW on the other hand, while a bit slower did feel better on the track. Where the Lexus would start understeering, especially though the longer corners, the BMW kept a more neutral line. The BMW also felt slightly more managable and easier to get into a rythm when doing a fast lap.

Suzuka Circuit
IS-F:2'35.6
M3: 2'34.5

I thought the M3 might be a bit faster round Suzuka though I was surprised to see it more than a second a lap faster. Here the BMW just felt lighter and more nimble and, like at Fuji, felt easier to drive fast, especially at the fist left-right-left-right section of the track where the Lexus felt slightly heavy and cumbersome. That's not to say the Lexus handles bad, it just took a bit more concentration. The rear wheels usually started spinning rather easily out of the tightest of bends, possibly down to the fact that it has more power and the back end did step out suddenly a few times prompting quick correction with a dose of opposite lock.

If on the other hand, you don't care about fast laps and just want to have fun or if you are sideways inclined the Lexus feels right at home doing powerslides. Like in the BMW, it's easy to induce a slide and keep it at ridiculous angles with relative ease. It actually feels a bit easier to perform a long slide in the Lexus than in the BMW but you need to be more assertive with the steering once you start winding off opposite lock.

I guess choosing a one is down to personal taste. They are both good cars but I would choose the BMW.

Yeah, I didnt get a chance too lap both cars on same track yet, but just looking at the records list, it looks like the IS-F has a slight advantage on the higher speed cirucits where the extra hp and tighter gear ratios help out.

The M3 has the advantage on the tighter courses..

My pick would always be the M3......i'm not sure what the weight difference in the game is, the M3 is a lighter car than the IS-F in real life, so i would guess the same in the game......this would help in the braking areas a good bit.

I wouldn't always trust the specs GT gives us. It still says the Beetle RSi has a turbo.

Also, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the IS-F just ahead of the M3 in most timed tests. It's no secret Japanese cars usually perform at or above their real life counterpart's levels in GT games. The gear shifts are apparently faster than they're supposed to be, for example.

It's too bad BMW didn't have the dual-clutch ready for the M3's launch, it would've been a nice addition to the game...

It's too bad BMW didn't have the dual-clutch ready for the M3's launch, it would've been a nice addition to the game...

I'm glad they didn't, then I would have to use paddles, and I shift manual faster in GT5P than the paddles. (options would be nice)

I decided to do a few tests out of sheer curiosity. Now this isn't car magazine calible writing so please keep that in mind, I'm simply giving my personal opinion

Physics: Proffesional
TCS & ASM: Off
Tires: N2
Wheel: G25

I used the manual paddle-shift for the Lexus and H-pattern shift and clutch with the BMW.

Here are a few figures I recorded:

0~100km/h
IS-F: 5.6s
M3: 5.8s

0~160km/h
IS-F: 10.7s
M3: 11.4

200~0km/h
IS-F:5.5s
M3: 5.4

I guess choosing a one is down to personal taste. They are both good cars but I would choose the BMW.

hey thank you, great review.. how do i do the +rep?

by the way now since i hear your review, i would choose the lexus. before i would choose the BMW anyday, but to think about it, its first lexus's car to match the M3 performance. sure it off here and there, but its darn good impressive.. besides i bet everyone will pick the M3. so im always the guy that loves the opposites ;) haah

and one more thing.. what are the N2 tires once again? the normal street tires rite... so both cars had nothing compared 0-100 times but as in real life its really hard to do the times that the dealer tells you that you can do.
and i bet the M3 use very good sports tires on there cars, not toyota corolla quality street ones ;) hehe

once again very nice review :)

try doing your own posts with different cars

I'm glad they didn't, then I would have to use paddles, and I shift manual faster in GT5P than the paddles. (options would be nice)

i agree, i havent play GT5. but i play lots of racing sims for PC, and i always love to play around with the H box rather then paddles... i think its more freedom ... and besides the M3 is not HYPED up FORMULA 1 car that needs paddle shifters :) so im glad it in H box...

oh by the way can I use the paddle shifters on the BMW? just wondering? or game is that much sim that it only lets you use the H box?

oh by the way can I use the paddle shifters on the BMW? just wondering? or game is that much sim that it only lets you use the H box?

Yeah, you can, but you have to sacrifice the clutch.... no thanks. :)

Back