So it's been a while...

Discussion in 'Cars in General' started by MazKid, Jun 20, 2007.

1. MazKid

MazKid Staff Emeritus

...since I've done anything here. I'm too busy with the real world and have lost interest in a hole-in-the-wall club on a bigger forum. :indiff:

As for me, well, I have 3 cars now, as listed in my signature. I supercharged the Miata about a month ago, it's a blast to drive. Going to be turboing the Protege once the 323 becomes a 5 speed. Soon, I hope.

I've been a Mazda new car detailer at the dealership where my dad is a 25+ year Mazda Master Tech/Shop Foreman since March '04, which came to an abrupt end in May '07 due to a union issue. Rather than just getting rid of me, which was happening at other dealerships with the same issue, they moved me into Mazda new car sales. Yep, I was detailing the cars I love, now I'm selling them. Officially started dealing with customers June 6th, and have sold 3 cars(1 was a half-deal though) since. Not bad at all. It's such a better position for me...before I was working very hard in the summer heat or winter chill, putting up with 2 duds of co-workers, getting under paid and often under appreciated. When I did get appreciated, I would get even more work - the sales people knew I did great work so they would purposely have me detail cars that one of my co-workers would normally have to do. But that's life with any job.
    Now a days, I have my own office. Got some of my Mazda posters up, half a 13B rotary on display, and my rotary engine clock I made back in 10th grade. I have to tuck in my shirt and wear kakis, and I still look like a kid. My knowlege of Mazda and Mazda cars far exceeds the other salespeople, and I'm trying to nab every Mazda enthusiast that walks in the door. The look on peoples' faces when they are talking about a new Mazda, then throw out a comment about thier '87 626 turbo coupe, or thier dad's old Cosmo, when I am able to talk to them about those old cars. None of the other sales people can. Only 1 other sales person owns a Mazda, just a run of the mill 6i, but when I tell customers that I own 3 older Mazdas, that my family bought an '07 Mazda 5, all of the other Mazdas we own, that I've been a detailer for over 3 years and my dad a technician for over 25, they know they are dealing with not just any sales person, but an enthusiast, that sells many people. It makes me feel great to finally be able to move up into sales.

But I'll get off my podium. I guess all I meant was that, while I'd like to get this club going again, I've lost interest. Sad, but it happens. I hope all of you Mazda owners out there also frequent forums such as Miata.net, ClubProtege.com, Mazdas247, etc, I'm on a few others, same screen name, and I have interest there.

Shameless plug: If any of you in the St. Louis area are interested in a new or used Mazda, let me know. I work at Lou Fusz Mazda, and I would greatly appreciate your business.

Thanks all.

-Ryan

2. TopHat

TopHat

Welcome back Ryan.... I'd love to sell cars someday. Its good to see they didn't can you. :)

3. Sage

Sage Staff Emeritus

Funny, I’m considering applying to be a lot attendant at the local Mazda dealer (where I got my 3 s), although I’m waiting on a few other job offers first.

Anyway, congrats on the promotion! :) You certainly deserve it. Now go make yourself enough money to buy a proper new car ;) (RX-8? hardtop MX-5?).

4. a6m5

a6m5 Premium

I was gonna say....

Sales people who actually are enthusiast of the cars they are selling are rare, especially at a Mazda dealership I'd imagine!

Congrats!

5. MazKid

MazKid Staff Emeritus

If I were to buy a new Mazda, it would definately be a MazdaSpeed 3. When we got the first one, and I drove it, I was seriously considering buying one. With E-plan pricing it would put it at about $20,800...263hp, 280ft lbs, 6 speed manual, brand new car, for under $21,000, just unbeatable. But I got to thinking, I would have to sell atleast 2 of my cars. At this point, I can't...I like my old cars too much. I've got too much money/time tied into ALL of them, and they are problem-free(well, for the most part). Some day I will own a MS3, some day...

Yeah, that's the best part of it. The other sales people often ask me questions that they can't answer. I hear them explaining, say, the MazdaSpeed 3, using lines like "Yes, this car is fast". They don't know why it's fast, and that's what anyone looking at a MazdaSpeed 3 wants to know. They want to know that its 1,650psi directly injected fuel mist coupled with the Turner Warner single scroll turbo pumping out 16psi adds up to 263hp out of a 2.3L 4 cylinder. If they wanted to hear someone just tell them the car is cool and fast, they could have asked a 5 year old. lol

6. Sage

Sage Staff Emeritus

You know, it’s funny – you’d think that since I own a 3, I’d be all gaga over the MS3. I think it’s a fabulous car, but I rarely use the full capabilities of my current 3, so I can’t imagine how I’d ever unleash the full potential of the MS3, so it seems like it’d be wasted.

What I really want is a previous-gen Mazdaspeed MX-5 in dark silver. My gawd that thing is so sexy. :drool: Plus I’m a bit of a claustrophillic, so I love small car interiors.

7. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

We know you, and I know the industry, so plugging yourself is what you have to do in this industry. Congratulations on the sales job; hopefully your dad will get things sorted out. A shop foreman is a valuable person in most shops, the trouble is, most shops already have one. Some big shops require more than one to help the techs, writers, and managers out with weird cars, weird customers, and their weird problems.

Anyhow, I was recently chewed up and spit out by my previous employer, so I've been at Honda.

8. MazKid

MazKid Staff Emeritus

I worded that wrong, I meant that my employment came to an abrupt end in May '07, not my dad's. My dad is set to retire in a few years.

Thanks for the kind words...how are things with Honda? I can't remember where you worked before...gees I haven't been around this forum in a long time and it shows. :(

9. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

Slow, but not as painful. I worked at Lexus before, and I would have typed it, and the link in the Rumble Strip says more about it. However, my Control key was stuck in the down position, making editing and adding text a real chore.

It must be a fun selling these cars when you have the confidence that you know way too much about them! Of course, the drawback is that not everyone else is as enthusiastic about the brand, for one reason or another. But since most brands have online "dealer education programs", which gives you certain in-company benefits (and job leverage), you'll have no problem taking the tests.

I took a few online tests today for Honda, since it was slow. The questions were asked randomly, and the History of Honda test asked me when the brand entered Grand Prix racing; I'd been storing that piece of information (1964) in my cranium for almost 20 years, and now I could apply it!

Enjoy the new job; the local Mazda dealer was not accepting applications when I went in. They even had video games and pool tables in the showroom/service waiting area...how cool is that?

10. Tulok

Tulok

nice to see a face ive never seen before, but still seeming familiar. It's a good thing they promoted you, instead of canning you, and its also cool that you built a rotor clock, could you post a pic or explain? I was thinking today about putting a small block into my 1st gen 626, yes? no? why? why not? maybe i could post up another thread to get it going...