So I've had my eye on this Miata...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Boz Mon
  • 24 comments
  • 1,359 views
Messages
1,478
So at the beginning of my street theres this 92 or 93 Miata for sale. Its been sitting there since the beginning of winter. Today, I had a chance to look at it, its got 260k miles on it and a little rust. The top is taped together and taped onto the front windshield. The guy wants like $1900 for the thing. I don't know how much its actually worth or how long these Miatas last for that matter. I after looking at it I figured it was worth like 500-900 max but I don't know. Any input would be appreciated 👍
 
260k miles is a lot for any car, it would be worth checking you local classifieds to see what they go for, if anytinhg it will tell you what they go for used.
 
Despite being over 10 years old, first gen. Miata's ruthlessly hold their value around the 6,000 dollar mark. For example, this is the only Miata on Autotrader remotely near the price you're being offered.
Assuming the car runs smoothly, I'd say the one you are looking at is a good buy. That's a lot of mileage, but as long as everything is in working order you should be fine. Just be sure to get the rust taken care of, and you should be golden (the top shouldn't cost much to fix).
 
What is it, the 1.6 or the 1.8? 260k is pretty high mileage, but the 1.6 motor is realy realy stout. It's actually based off the old mazda 323 GTX rally car motor and has all sorts of neat things like under piston oil squirters, other bits and bobs listed here. Although to be honest it's probably gonna need a rebuild eventually, but I wouldn't bother with it if there were any problems (flatspots, misfire etc)

The only real problem with the B6 engine in the miatas was in the earlier 89/90's cars, there was a problem with the crank link here but if it's definitely a 92 or a 93 as you say you should be fine.

Also it may end up costing you more anyway if it's still riding on all oem shocks, bushings, rubber hoses and god knows what else may be worn out on a 16 year old car.

I think your best bet is to ask at www.miata.net about it rather than asking a gran turismo forum anyway. I did look into buying a MX-5 (uk name for miata) but I didn't like the idea of a convertable and didn't want to mess around buying a hardtop and fitting it. Although get a hardtop because hartop miatas are cool and then you can waste all your money on making a spec miata to race. Or you could just use it as an autocrosser, because they are fantastic at that.
 
So at the beginning of my street theres this 92 or 93 Miata for sale. Its been sitting there since the beginning of winter. Today, I had a chance to look at it, its got 260k miles on it and a little rust. The top is taped together and taped onto the front windshield. The guy wants like $1900 for the thing. I don't know how much its actually worth or how long these Miatas last for that matter. I after looking at it I figured it was worth like 500-900 max but I don't know. Any input would be appreciated 👍

If I want to know ANYTHING about MX-5s, I ask GTPlant.

In fact, I'll ping her a link to this thread.


I'd guess it already has a new engine at that distance, and budget $400 for the new roof.
 


I'd guess it already has a new engine at that distance, and budget $400 for the new roof.

I dunno thats a testimony to the mazda b engines ability to rack up miles. Although the second one is on it's second engine. But yeah more likely that if it's on it's original engine you'll need a rebuild or a new engine in a bit.

Also here is a picture of a Miata with a hardtop to show you how much better looking they are.
62590ac2.jpg

God damnit, it looks so awesome.
 
Firstly, rust on Miatas isn't always bad but it depends where it is.
If it's on the lower, outer sills below where the door shuts are, then the drain holes are blocked. If there are a few bubbles, then it's repairable - more than that and there's going to be structural issues.
If there is rust on the rear wheelarches, walk away. If there is proper rust anywhere (not a couple of ickle bubbles) then run away very very quickly and do not look back.

Don't worry about the short nose crank thing, that wouldn't affect a car of this age. And there's little difference in the 1.6/1.8 engine for power/speed/etc - some of the later 1.6 versions were knocked down on BHP but at '92/'93, again, this won't be an issue.

The roofs are easy to replace, there will be a million and one places which do this and it shouldn't be too pricey (in the UK a new roof is about £600 fitted). However, if it is visibly damaged, there is a large possibility it will have been letting water in. This may mean the interior will be damp and starting to rot, if this is the case then it will need a whole new interior. If you live in a fairly dry place, then this shouldn't be an issue but there shouldn't be any rust, either.

Over here, a 92/93 one, with average miles on the clock (around 120k) and in half decent nick would be worth about £2000 - £3000, so it looks as if they cost similar money over there.

The one you've seen sounds like a project and a major one at that. The milage worries me a little, if looked after then yes, these cars do really well but the one you've seen has a scruffy exterior so suggests that it's been neglected. I'd expect 250k miles on an average Miata to be at the end of its life.

Have a look at it, ask him about its history. It may be that it's been regularly serviced but not maintained on the exterior. See how it sounds on startup, they do sound rough when poorly and check for the telltale blue smoke out of the back and mayonnaise round the oil filler cap. If anything doesn't feel right, walk away. As for price, $1900 is about right for a roughish one of this age, you may be able to get him down to $1500 if it's in need of huge amounts of restoration. Personally i'd save up and buy a decent one.

Have a look at www.miata.net - all the information you'll ever need.


Hard top??? *spits*
 
Apparently it's not you that drives with the top down all the time though is it?

I agree though, whats the point in owning a roadster if you want to make it a hard top.
 
That post was supposed to be a long and informative one but my connection fell over. I asked teh Fam to edit it for me but it's borked. Normal service to be resumed shortly I hope!!

liveforspeed
Apparently it's not you that drives with the top down all the time though is it?
I'm not sure what you mean by that...
 
Apparently it's not you that drives with the top down all the time though is it?

I agree though, whats the point in owning a roadster if you want to make it a hard top.

But it looks awesome with a hardtop, it's probably quieter on long drives, you get a glass rear window that doesnt go all funny like the plastic ones, I think it makes the car a bit more ridgid (maybe, i'm porbabaly wrong) and it's probably safer if you roll it I guess unless you have a rollbar installed.

I dunno, I just can't stand any car that has a removable roof. I don't even like sunroofs, sometimes I wish I had bought a jdm mr2 because none of the tintop ones came with sunroofs unlike every uk spec one has a sunroof. Maybe i'm just wierd, but I don't like me no removable roofs god darsh it.

Plus you have to have a hardtop for the spec miata race series in the us.
 
I'm not sure what you mean by that...
I mean the cars top. I believe Famine has the top down on his MX-5 whenever he's driving, rain or shine.
 
I mean the cars top. I believe Famine has the top down on his MX-5 whenever he's driving, rain or shine.

When did he get an MX-5?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?! Which one na or nb?
 
NB - 1998 1.8i in BRG.

I've fixed GTPlant's post. There was a very peculiar issue with it.


And l4s - I've never seen her with her top on...
 
NB - 1998 1.8i in BRG.

I've fixed GTPlant's post. There was a very peculiar issue with it.


And l4s - I've never seen her with her top on...

Get a hardtop for it. :D
 
Make sure it's had the timing belts changed at least every 60,000 miles.
Check out the state of the transmission fluid reservoir, sometimes they mark with a dirty line than can deceive you as to how high the level is!
Have a look in the trunk at the battery, to make sure the terminals aren't corroded.
Check to ensure that the pop-up light motors work.
Test drive and ensure that it doesn't pull left or right under normal conditions, and under heavy braking. Check the tyres for signs of uneven tyre wear.

A new top will set you back somewhere between $900 and $1300 (for the glass back panel) professionally installed (at least that's what they go for in California! :()

Famine's right! It's a top-down car all the way! In fact it's been said that the US Miata designation is an acronym of Make It A Topless Afternoon! ;) We did 3200 miles in 2 1/2 weeks for our roadtrip this summer, and all bar 160 miles (while we got caught in a torrential thunderstorm approaching the Grand Canyon) was done with the top down! They just look better with the top off. See......
pic4gtp2ye8.jpg
 
But if she's always topless, what would you do with a hardtop?
 
I was going to get a Miata but changed my mind, because all the ones I cold find where around 5 grand but $1,900 sounds good even if you have to rebuild the engine. Hell I had is grand plan of putting a FD engine in there and hop it up to get around 350HP but decided that I wanted to get a 240SX and put the SR in it. But I also changed my mind because everyone was telling me that a Miata was a chick car and if a guy is driving one he is most likely old and bold.....and I hate when people pick a part and harass me on what I want to do, so yea (sorry for rambling)

But all together $1,900 isn't bad, I would buy it and build it up....just think about a Miata powered by a FD twin turbo engine (man just thinking about it gives me goose bumps :D)
 
And I thought Miata's were expensive here. For around 3k , you can get a perfectly good Miata with around 100k miles. The only thing stopping me from getting one is the fact that it's a 2 seater and not very roomy for my 6ft self.
 
...I'm thinking he meant to say 160K miles, not 260K, but then again I could be wrong. I haven't seen many Toyotas, let alone Mazdas, make it that far on just one engine, especially in a Miata at that.

I dunno. If you've got the money and you feel like buying a toy, why not? It is a good car to tinker with, and you could learn a lot with it. Plus, the potential for the car is rather grand given how popular it is not only in America, but worldwide.

...So a good fixer-upper on a budget that would be fast to drive and decently good to live with as a nearly-every-day driver? Go for it. If not, strip it and turn it into a weekend racer, or an autoX toy...

And to be completely honest, I've had my eye on a Miata for a while too, but I don't know if it is for sale or not. My Aunt has a '96 M-Edition in British Racing Green with the tan interior and top, and although she loves the car, she was looking into replacing it with an S2000 not too long ago. But, I haven't talked to her in a while, and I have no idea if she still has it, and even then, would be willing to sell it to me.
 
Wow I definately wasnt expecting 20 responses! But anyway, I DID mean to say 260k miles, thats what the sheet on the inside said anyway. Judging by everyones responses, this seems to be a much bigger project than I anticipated. And I didn't realize that these cars hold their value that well and it seems that this will be a huge can of worms to open, something I dont have the time or money for. I guess I'm gonna have to pass on this one. But maybe one day. I have always wanted a Miata and I dont know why. The idea of owning one has been at the back of my mind ever since I started driving, but the Prelude came about first. BTW, I was looking at the car for mainly a winter beater (of all things) and transportation to and from the train station just to keep some miles off the Lude. And if I was to somehow acquire this car I would most likely go with a hard top during the winter and just go topless in summer. Thanks for the responses guys and if you have anything else, let me know 👍
 
NB - 1998 1.8i in BRG.

I've fixed GTPlant's post. There was a very peculiar issue with it.


And l4s - I've never seen her with her top on...
Because topless if the best way :D

I've discovered I lose 3mpg if I drive topless as opposed to with the top on.
That was the result of my scientific experiment I conducted today - it's worth losing the 3mpg because I gain 000's of spg :D
 
And smiles is what the MX5 is all about.

A friend of mine had an MX5, the car ended up getting killed in a crash, but he still ays that it was by far, the most fun car he's ever owned.
 
And everyone elses spg goes up too when they see you driving about topless.
 
Back