So, London online racing.

• Thread starter WinK
  • 20 comments
I'm not sure about you guys but normally I am somehow always placed last or closed to last on the starting grid during online races.

Now that London is open as the online racing event, I find I have basically zero chance of winning because :
A) Being a city circuit there are fewer spots to overtake
B) Being a city circuit if someone ahead makes a mistake, rather than going off track completely, they just rebound off the walls and get back on track.
C) It's a rolling start so there is a bigger gap between you and the leader right from the start.
D) The track itself is short. 3 laps would've been more appropriate.

Anyway, rant over.

Yea I love this track but the only clear cut overtaking opportunity seems to be turn 1. There are other tight bends but no long straight into them :ill:

great to see lots of new events. this new daytona superclass one though appears to be utter crap. if you start at the back there is no way to win unless the people in the front make a big mistake

This is so easy to solve.
The way current rolling starts are are wrong.
Because basicly not all cars start accelerating at the same time, but untill you've gone past the starting line.
The way to do this is make all cars start accelerating at the sametime.
and as for who gets to be first... this is even easier, PD should add a qualifying lap before each race.

This is so easy to solve.
The way current rolling starts are are wrong.
Because basicly not all cars start accelerating at the same time, but untill you've gone past the starting line.
The way to do this is make all cars start accelerating at the sametime.
I agree with this and this should have been done from the first time they used rolling starts. I think in GT4 you actually start 6 seconds behind the leader because he is speeding off while you are still rolling at 50mph. Of course, the timer shouldn't start for me until I cross the start line.

What about pre-race hot laps?

and as for who gets to be first... this is even easier, PD should add a qualifying lap before each race.
The only issue I see here is that you have to either do it one person at a time, which will take forever while you wait for everyone else to do theirs. Otherwise you will get idiots who bump you and ruin your lap.
EDIT: I guess you can run simultaneous single player time trial qualifying laps. :dunce:

Perhaps pull everyone's best single player lap and use that time as a qualifying time? That would encourage players to spend as much time improving their skill offline as they will spend online. It also helps against people just getting the car they like and going online with it to rarely due single player again, although I think this would be a bigger issue in the full version.

I don't mind the rolling start and starting towards the back of the pack much. It's actually fun chasing and trying to advance. My only gripe with this event is that it's only 2 laps. That's not near enough time when you are chasing from last place.

I was test driving the NSX on this course. I knew I was underpowered since most other cars were turbo charged and I was Naturally Aspirated. I started out in 8th position (last place) but I was able to advance to 4th place at the end of the 2 lap race. If I only had 1 or 2 more laps, I would like to know if I could have taken first place.

Although, it's not that big of a deal still because it's not like they are recording our win / lose record. I have more fun just testing cars against other random cars and drivers to see how well the cars perform against their counterparts.

Perhaps pull everyone's best single player lap and use that time as a qualifying time? That would encourage players to spend as much time improving their skill offline as they will spend online. It also helps against people just getting the car they like and going online with it to rarely due single player again, although I think this would be a bigger issue in the full version.

Bingo!!! You have everyone run there qualifying lap(s) locally and when it's done the lap times are then uploaded for positioning. Toca3 pulled this of as well as Dirt without any problems

I really enjoy the new london track but online racing on it is a ****ing joke. I mean really, it only takes about 2 mins. to run this race however it takes 4x that amount of time from the point where you select your car to the point you get to run. And what happens when u finish? YOU HAVE TO WAIT AGAIN FOR THE NEXT RACE!!! AHHHHHHH!!! It's jus a bad time investment. I dont care if this is just the prologue, PD really dropped the ball with this one.

It's not jus this race but the entire GT5P online system. It needs a major overhaul. Granted i understand that this is not a finished product that will closely resemble what we'll see in the complete version of GT5, thank god. however i dont see why they couldn't add an option where we're able to change the number of laps in a race. maybe i'm wrong and that's asking too much.

I apologize for my venting. I guess i was expecting a little more from my first GT online experience. I keep hearing how Mr. Kaz is such a perfectionist and then he puts out this garbage. It's so disappointing.

I think they should make the online events like 5 to 10 laps per event, that way you won't spend half of your time waiting for the event to start :)

I really enjoy the new london track but online racing on it is a ****ing joke. I mean really, it only takes about 2 mins. to run this race however it takes 4x that amount of time from the point where you select your car to the point you get to run. And what happens when u finish? YOU HAVE TO WAIT AGAIN FOR THE NEXT RACE!!! AHHHHHHH!!! It's jus a bad time investment. I dont care if this is just the prologue, PD really dropped the ball with this one.

It's not jus this race but the entire GT5P online system. It needs a major overhaul. Granted i understand that this is not a finished product that will closely resemble what we'll see in the complete version of GT5, thank god. however i dont see why they couldn't add an option where we're able to change the number of laps in a race. maybe i'm wrong and that's asking too much.

I apologize for my venting. I guess i was expecting a little more from my first GT online experience. I keep hearing how Mr. Kaz is such a perfectionist and then he puts out this garbage. It's so disappointing.

Not only do you contradict yourself in your argument, but you totally missed the fact that your connection to other gamers will be slow because this release was only meant for the Asian region NOT cross continent.

Be patient and wait for the EU and North American releases before passing harsh criticism on an unfinished product. I do agree that they need to increase the laps or at least remove the rolling starts on a 2 lap race

but the rolling start does stop mass pile up's in corner 1, like you would see in the 16 man races at Fuji...

i agree it is harsh starting always in 6-8th place as i do too. but for overtaking there is corner 1, then the 2nd corner which goes into the 3rd and the long right hander which follows, basically all over the place if u can get through cleanly. last corner u can make a move too, just got to make it stick down the inside, generally though i finish 1-3 place as at the first time point, 1st place is usually 4-5 seconds up.

Not only do you contradict yourself in your argument, but you totally missed the fact that your connection to other gamers will be slow because this release was only meant for the Asian region NOT cross continent.

Be patient and wait for the EU and North American releases before passing harsh criticism on an unfinished product. I do agree that they need to increase the laps or at least remove the rolling starts on a 2 lap race

Oh then by all means, feel free to point out the contridiction instead of stating there is one. It would help to validated your point that i have no clue what i'm speaking of.

And dont take this as a personal attack but if you truely comprehended what i said, then you would have understood my point was "not to bash the load times, laggy game play or connection speed b/c to be honest they arent terrible, but the ratio to the time spent in an actual race to the time spent trying to get into the race is greatly disproportionate. hence why I said bad time investment" Which by the way could have been remedied by the ability to increase the amounts of laps we run.

And please refrain from calling me impatient, i'm a GT fan, therefore we are patient by nature ;) . Right behind Bilizzard fans that is.

Oh then by all means, feel free to point out the contridiction instead of stating there is one. It would help to validated your point that i have no clue what i'm speaking of.

It's not jus this race but the entire GT5P online system. It needs a major overhaul. Granted i understand that this is not a finished product that will closely resemble what we'll see in the complete version of GT5

You state how the whole online system needs a major overhaul, and then state in your next sentence how you understand it's not a finished product. Contradictory is it not?

And please refrain from calling me impatient, i'm a GT fan, therefore we are patient by nature ;) . Right behind Bilizzard fans that is.

Actually I never implied that you were impatient! I merely said show a little patience, there's a big difference ;)

Ok and now i have to explain it a little further to help clarify things for you.

When i said the entire online system needs an overhaul, i'm not referring too the bad time investment that is the online london race, but every other thing i believe is wrong w/ GT5P online system. I'm not gonna to get into the many downfalls of there online system but please tell me that you'll agree with me that it's sub par.

Now the reason PD released it on prologue was to gauge how well it'll perform in the real world so they can base the actually completed online system off this one. When i say they need to overhaul it completedly, i'm implying that they should start from scratch b/c i would hate to have the finished product resemble this in any way.

And your last point, If i tell someone to be quiet i'm implying that someone is being noisy. If you tell someone to be patient, your implying that they are impatient. but dont sweat it, i know you were not trying to offend me so no harm no foul. If you want to continue this debate any further, lets take it to PM, i dont want to impose on the TC more than we already have. So until then have a beer on me :cheers:

Ok and now i have to explain it a little further to help clarify things for you.

When i said the entire online system needs an overhaul, i'm not referring too the bad time investment that is the online london race, but every other thing i believe is wrong w/ GT5P online system. I'm not gonna to get into the many downfalls of there online system but please tell me that you'll agree with me that it's sub par.

There are a few things a don't like about the online system even though I don't think it's sub par I do however agree with you that it needs improvement in certain areas, so with that said I do realize that this is a work in progress until the final game is released and I will be hoping to see PD make changes and\or adjustments as we go along.

And you are correct I was not attempting to offend you...cheers to you as well :cheers:

I think what they want to get right at first is the communication between client and server. When things are running smoothly they'll move on with more complicated stuff. I guarantee it. This also supports Kaz' wish to have a really strong engine to build on.

Things will be fine trust me!

I mean really, it only takes about 2 mins. to run this race however it takes 4x that amount of time from the point where you select your car to the point you get to run. And what happens when u finish? YOU HAVE TO WAIT AGAIN FOR THE NEXT RACE!!! AHHHHHHH!!! It's jus a bad time investment. I dont care if this is just the prologue, PD really dropped the ball with this one.
You must not have much experience with online gaming. Almost every single game is like this, whether console or PC. The only genre which is remotely "quick," and I use that term very loosely, is with shooters. Forza online is even slower.

As for London online, I think I'll "pass." ;)

not sure if this is the right place to post,

but when i play any of the races, the cars get all jerky, looks really mental the car's jump heaps of frames on the road. now is it because theres only limited servers in asia, btw im in new zealand (in the pacific)

- my connection is roughly 3-3.5mbps is that fast enough to play it at full potential or is it just the server's fault at the moment with only a japanese release.

It's the pan oceanic connection. Hopefully every region will have it's own servers. I was in a race on Fuji with only seven cars, and it was practically glitch free. More localized servers should make everyone a happy racer.

Back