'So Much More We Can Do' with FIA GT Championship Says Kazunori Yamauchi

Yeah, but AC in full detail with the sol(?) mod looks freaking gorgeous! It’s got a pile of content available and the fizzicks are great.

Yeah true, here's a shot of my last session.
20190321200321_1.jpg

But, I don't want to stray off topic I was just saying bugs/glitches/issues are present in all games and as far as a package GT Sport is up there with the best as far as the vision goes. I just can't stand driving it as I detest the physics but that's a whole different issue that is personal and has nothing to do with the devs.

We were asking questions. I mean, that's how interviews work.

You're welcome to have a crack yourself though, if there's questions you'd rather ask. I mean, we can't ask everyone's own personal most important things, because there's not enough time, and only that person would want to read it...

What do you guys think about posting the interview transcript? Like in the format of questions by GTP being bolded and the then answers by whoever and such.

Bring back the Used Car dealer from GT5 (and earlier GT's...) so we can score 20 mil cars once in a while for 10 mil or less.

I miss having acceleration capability tests at Route X, let's bring those back...

And for god's sakes please give us some retro tracks from GT1 and 2.
I'm sure they know we all miss the classic GT (legendary original tracks, cheap cars, big career mode). GTSport is about eSport so we'll have to wait the next game. At this point, I think there won't be another GT game this gen, which means no car modification at all on PS4...

I thought this would be a thread discussing Kaz'scomments on how the FIA Championships have progressed and where they might go. Instead I see another wishlist thread of things not related to the FIA Championships. Weird.

Anyway, I'd love to see more events than just the Manufacturers Series and Nations Cup we currently have. The Toyota GR Supra Cup is a really encouraging step in that direction and I do hope more manufacturers jump on board and we see more of these. One off events and shorter series would be welcomed and I'd hope more people would get involved.

As much as I've enjoyed watching the live events there is certainly areas that can be improved. Lack of replays of things we didn't see that fundamentally changed the course of the race for one, and I'm glad to see Kaz acknowledge this and wants to make it better. esports are new to PD but you can see that they are learning as they go.

Makes me pretty excited for GT Sport in 2019.

We were asking questions. I mean, that's how interviews work.

You're welcome to have a crack yourself though, if there's questions you'd rather ask. I mean, we can't ask everyone's own personal most important things, because there's not enough time, and only that person would want to read it...

I kind of expected at least one question about the repeating dailies and the broken penalty system, I think it’s a pretty well known fact around here that a LOT of people would like answers to those questions.

Last edited:
I kinda of expected at least one question about the repeating dailies and the broken penalty system, I think it’s a pretty well known fact around here that a LOT of people would like answers to those questions.

Are there certain things you’re not allowed to ask in the interview? Like questions about daily races? Why is it that in all of the interviews with Kaz, that no one has asked a single question about the repeat dailies all the time? It’s one small question that a lot of people would like an answer to, why will no one ask it?
We asked about it. :)

GTPlanet
We’ll have more to share from our time with Yamauchi coming soon.

Awesome, I was hoping that post hadn’t been forgotten about, TYVM Sir, I can’t wait to hear the answers. :)

Never heard of him

Quebec is a province in Canada, That is not allowed to race in the online FIA tournament, there are a lot of fast driver here, the law in 2016 was chage so we Can participate in esports event, but Polyphony digital has not updated and is not let use play so ask kaz why ???

It certainly would be nice if the driving etiquette and manners were mixed with the offline part of GT Sport as well. Also I would like to see some FIA involvement together with circuit experience. It still find that one great part of GT Sport which could have some more flair to it and some additional challenges to mix things up.

Can we conclude that GT Sport will flow over naturually onto PS5 with further envolvement and support between the PS4 / PS5 platforms in terms of online play? The title seems completely GAAS-focussed.

Last edited:
Boy, reading comprehension really went down the tubes on this thread (and yes, I fully understand English is not everyone's native tongue). As @Famine posted multiple times, still plenty more interview to come (also mentioned very clearly at the bottom of the article ;))!

I just believe in them not neglecting a large swarth of their fan base just to keep up on apperances for esports. That's all. I won't comment on anything further. I messaged one of the moderators and e explained that I'm not attacking them. PC is enroute so ill mess off with AC, iracing and race room alot more.

Unfortunately they are neglecting the vast majority of their fanbase as PD focus seems to be all on this niche market for esports and not towards the overwhelming majority of people who bought this game that have nothing to do with esports.
I guess they feel this small number of esport players are more important than the huge number of people that have made GTS marginally successful.
You will also find very few examples in which companies remain successful by ignoring the majority of people who buy their products in favor of a few.

I don't dislike esports but it's definitely not my way or the only way to play GT and it should never be.
I see people on here (GTP) who feel esports is the only direction for racing games even though the numbers are stacked way against that idea.
I feel it's the complete opposite and your watching the slow death of GT. Those of us who have played GT from the very beginning have made Kaz a wealthy man over the years and now we have reached that point where Kaz is going to do things his way No Matter What! even if those decision includes holding fantasy race car driver parties around the world while neglecting and possibly losing the vast majority of the GT fanbase. Just how long will people continue to buy a GT game that's not made for them.

Unfortunately, enough time has passed since GT1 (21 years) that, and I'm speculating here, the majority of GT Sport players who spend most of their time in Sport Mode either weren't alive in 1998 or were very young, and missed out on the first 3 or 4 titles. I have very little faith that there will ever be another GT comparable to GT4 or GT6. Maybe the new generation only cares about kicking each others' butts online, because they grew up online. If you're over 30, you played the majority of games alone, by yourself, most of the time.

Unfortunately, enough time has passed since GT1 (21 years) that, and I'm speculating here, the majority of GT Sport players who spend most of their time in Sport Mode either weren't alive in 1998 or were very young, and missed out on the first 3 or 4 titles. I have very little faith that there will ever be another GT comparable to GT4 or GT6. Maybe the new generation only cares about kicking each others' butts online, because they grew up online. If you're over 30, you played the majority of games alone, by yourself, most of the time.

Oh jeez this is a bad take on generation gaps.

I'm 21, so I'm very much of the age range you are talking about, and was born in the same year as GT1.

I have put numerous hours into GT3 which was my entry to the series, and have done the same for GT4, GT5 and GT6. I also recently bought Gran Turismo 2 on PS1 to play ocassionally which has been great. I also enjoy racing online on GTSport (and also enjoyed racing online on GT5 when I did). Also, do you honestly think that the young players who are generally at the FIA Live Events didn't enjoy any previous GT Games? Oh come on.

I think you'll find many older people who were teenagers or even adult at the time of the late 90s also enjoy online racing in GTSport.

Unfortunately they are neglecting the vast majority of their fanbase as PD focus seems to be all on this niche market for esports and not towards the overwhelming majority of people who bought this game that have nothing to do with esports.
I guess they feel this small number of esport players are more important than the huge number of people that have made GTS marginally successful.
You will also find very few examples in which companies remain successful by ignoring the majority of people who buy their products in favor of a few.

I don't dislike esports but it's definitely not my way or the only way to play GT and it should never be.
I see people on here (GTP) who feel esports is the only direction for racing games even though the numbers are stacked way against that idea.
I feel it's the complete opposite and your watching the slow death of GT. Those of us who have played GT from the very beginning have made Kaz a wealthy man over the years and now we have reached that point where Kaz is going to do things his way No Matter What! even if those decision includes holding fantasy race car driver parties around the world while neglecting and possibly losing the vast majority of the GT fanbase. Just how long will people continue to buy a GT game that's not made for them.

I would disagree with this to a certain extent, where as I agree there is a huge fan base of the original format, esports is growing market and you can see from other games the online element is the future of games imo not offline.

The majority of replay value in games is online, most games ship with a very small campaign or offline element and the the updates that follow tend to add to the online element rather than the offline.

I would rather race against someone online any day than AI personally, maybe if the AI were a challenge it would have some interest.

I’ve played original GT1,2 and 3 and after that played the rest very little, not at all on 6. GTS with its focus towards online competition feels far fresher imo.

My only wish is that they could help spread out the entry or help people like me with limited time to enter. When it’s on only one day in a limited time slot, family life can make it difficult. But I equally appreciate they don’t want to water down the slots too much.

Interesting comment included in the article that there are more Vision GT cars still to come. I wonder what and when they will be.

I can only say please fix 18 months old bugs and issues, add qualifying into lobbys.... quality over quantity. I dont need 20 versions of a crappy MX5

I just believe in them not neglecting a large swarth of their fan base just to keep up on apperances for esports. That's all. I won't comment on anything further. I messaged one of the moderators and e explained that I'm not attacking them. PC is enroute so ill mess off with AC, iracing and race room alot more.

We don't take it as attacking. I was simply pointing out that going to a live esport event, being given a chance to interview the series creator separately from the other media, and then using that opportunity to talk about certain parts of the playerbase's gripes is not productive. There's a time and a place for that sort of thing, but the Paris World Tour wasn't it.

It's all well and good but restricting peoples ability to enter it, and making it literally impossible for 99.99% of the player base to ever dream of making the events kinda restricts the growth a bit.

To be fair, 99% of the playerbase in any title with an esport wouldn't make it to the event. In the same way only a tiny percentage of the hockey-playing population of Canada will make it to the NHL.

Would I love to see something like an "amateur cup"? Sure. But it'd be hard to really sort out who is truly eligible, and I imagine it wouldn't exactly set sponsors' hearts racing. Maybe down the road it will be a more viable addition.

If you're hovering around 30, online gaming has been a fairly common thing for roughly half your lifespan at this point. You probably did play the majority of your games alone still, simply because—I'm guessing—you had more free time as a kid than as an adult.

That being said, people, just like the games they play, change. I'll readily admit I prefer the old carPG approach of classic GTs, but that isn't just because I preferred playing solo. Some of my best memories involving the PS1 games is playing friends via memory card battles with our own custom cars. Online gaming offers a similar sort of approach. I'd argue something like Sport Mode definitely hits that "just one more race" button in my brain more than the procession of AI that single player tends to provide, too. Naturally, YMMV.

So when is the time and place to ask the questions, that literally everyone deserves the answers to ?

Was a nice interview and I am loving the esports, but the game the way it is, is so frustrating

Thank you.

Lets be honest here - PD doesn't need a partnership with a manfacturer to have a one make FIA series, and most players wohld rather actual cars rather than Vision GT clogging up the game. So what is the value being added by Yamauchi's goals?

"Now when we look back at the first Nurburgring event we had, ugh!" hey its still nice to watch, and a damn good first try at a live event,but yeah the later events have way better production values.

I don't understand people asking for single player content like they don't know GTS focus is multiplayer,the game is 2 years old and people still haven't understood the focus is not on single player for this game?The classic gt campaign with upgrades won't come for GTS its easier if we just accept that,now GT7(if it includes offline play) will probably bring back the gran turismo mode.

Last edited:
Back