So now GM has 0% financing and I have a dilemma

  • Thread starter Thread starter IMADreamer
  • 22 comments
  • 993 views
Messages
354
I know most everyone here doesn't care about my car selection but I got a call today from my local Chevy dealer telling me about GMs 0% financing which of course we all knew about a week ago, but now I am squirming. 0% makes the Chevy Cobalt really really tempting for me. REALLY tempting. I can land it for 20k OTD (because the dealer has been sitting on it for 6 months) and 0%. hmm. Honestly I was blown away by the car when I drove it. I was shocked at the decent interior and quickness of the car. I have two concerns, the first being that it's in ugly orenge and that's much more of an attention getter then I want. The second is that I am not a kid any more and I think I may look rediculous in this thing. Not that looks matter but I almost feel a bit grown up for this car.

So I want some honest and hopefully unbiased opinions. I don't want you to tell me to go buy the car or not. That's my choice and it's my money but what do you think about it being a little childish for a mid-late 20 something looking for a fun car to drive around?

I know I would much rather have a 350z, GTO, or RX8 but I am going to save my self 10k here which will likely go on a few mods and the rest into my retirement fund. So, is this a car for a younger person or am I just being too self conscious?
 
I don't think your too old for it man.

Which model are you looking at?

My sister has an SS supercharged and I have not heard one complaint since she got it back in september, except when she was learning to drive the car since she had never driven a stick shift but now she loves it. I think its a good choice.
 
You need to think about how you're going to feel about the car in 2, 3 or 4 years, not how it feels when you're on a test drive. I've test driven lots of cars that feel good to me that day, but once I got down to some serious thinking, realized it wouldn't make the cut in long haul.

But if you think it will still make you happy longer term then go for it. And don't worry what other people may think of you and your car. You're not spending your money to please them.

Now say you bought the Cobalt. In a few years, once the newness has worn off will you see a nice RX-8 or GTO on the street and be happy you saved yourself the 10 grand? Or will you be kicking yourself for not treating yourself to the car you've wanted all along?

And don't worry about your age being a factor :lol: I'm 32 and won't even consider a car unless it has a healthy fun factor to it. My personal philosophy is: life's too short to drive mediocre cars. If the Cobalt does it for you in every dept, go for it. If not, find the car that does.


M
 
If you want a GTO, I'd still say go for that one. Not that the Cobalt SS Supercharged isn't a good car (in fact, it is one of the best GM builds), but I think you may get sick of the boy-racer looks, and the near constant head-up races stupid Civic drivers are going to want to do.
 
xXSilencerXx
I don't think your too old for it man.

Which model are you looking at?

My sister has an SS supercharged and I have not heard one complaint since she got it back in september, except when she was learning to drive the car since she had never driven a stick shift but now she loves it. I think its a good choice.


It's the SS Supercharged. Learning to drive stick isn't a problem for me. I learned that a while ago. I am glad to hear she likes the car.
 
If it's something you want I say go for it. However you must like the color. I'm not saying liking whether it's easy to keep clean or not, but whether it'll actually remain something you can stand to look at everyday. If you don't like the orange, maybe they can find another one that you do like.
 
Just a quick fact about the "0% financing rate"

Bull****!! here's the catch. 0% APR for qualifyed costumers only, which means that you have to have a nearly perfect credit score (750+). Every single dealership does this, just to get you at the door. Not to get you off the cloud but don't think by any means that you're gonna walk out of that dealership with 0% financing rate. It just never happens. Even 2.7% is hard to get, and that's if you have A+ credit or you are with the credit union or something.

AND if they give you a low interest rate, they won't give you as many incentives (cash back) as they would if you get approved for a 6% APR.
The bank gives the dealership incentives if they get you to finance through the dealership rather than your own bank. If you do, then they screw you more.

Trust me buddy, this is true.

But still go for it though, if you like it that much, then you won't be dissapointed in the long run. ;)



Ciao!
 
Mr.OzzyGT
Just a quick fact about the "0% financing rate"

Bull****!! here's the catch. 0% APR for qualifyed costumers only, which means that you have to have a nearly perfect credit score (750+). Every single dealership does this, just to get you at the door. Not to get you off the cloud but don't think by any means that you're gonna walk out of that dealership with 0% financing rate. It just never happens. Even 2.7% is hard to get, and that's if you have A+ credit or you are with the credit union or something.

AND if they give you a low interest rate, they won't give you as many incentives (cash back) as they would if you get approved for a 6% APR.
The bank gives the dealership incentives if they get you to finance through the dealership rather than your own bank. If you do, then they screw you more.

Trust me buddy, this is true.

But still go for it though, if you like it that much, then you won't be dissapointed in the long run. ;)



Ciao!


I appreciate the heads up, but I already made the dealer see if I am qualified and I am. My credit score is great which I already knew because I checked it about a month ago when I first got serious about car shopping.

As far as incentives and so on I have seen the invoice on the car and they really can't go any lower unless GM is running a dealer incentive on top of the 0% which I highly doubt.

One of the real reasons I am looking at this particular dealership in the first place is because it is owned by a good family friend who I am confident will not jack me around.
 
IMADreamer
As far as incentives and so on I have seen the invoice on the car and they really can't go any lower unless GM is running a dealer incentive on top of the 0% which I highly doubt.

On the Cobalt? I wouldn't be surprised if they ran zero-percent, cash-back incentives, and employee pricing simultaneously.

At least you're considering the only version worth considering.

Just remember, for less than $20k you could have a quicker and more powerful SRT-4...
 
M5Power
On the Cobalt? I wouldn't be surprised if they ran zero-percent, cash-back incentives, and employee pricing simultaneously.

At least you're considering the only version worth considering.

Just remember, for less than $20k you could have a quicker and more powerful SRT-4...


Very true...
 
^^amm.. in NY the SRT-4 Neon is no longer available and the SRT-4 Caliber has not been released yet.
 
M5Power
On the Cobalt? I wouldn't be surprised if they ran zero-percent, cash-back incentives, and employee pricing simultaneously.

At least you're considering the only version worth considering.

Just remember, for less than $20k you could have a quicker and more powerful SRT-4...


I have had a horrible experience with Dodge and will never own another. (maybe a Viper) Plus I hate the SRT-4. I think it's ugly as sin. Also they don't sell them any more and I really don't want used.
 
IMADreamer
One of the real reasons I am looking at this particular dealership in the first place is because it is owned by a good family friend who I am confident will not jack me around.

Ohh Well that's different ;)


Ciao!
 
What is the weather like where you live? Where are you located? The reason I ask is because the GTO would not be as winter friendly as the Cobalt. Cobalt=FWD GTO=RWD. Just something to think about.
The Cobalt doesn't look too bad at all and will get decent gas mileage. You can also make it as manly looking as you want.
A couple mud flaps with the naked ladies on it and you will be as manly as possible. J/K I think its a nice car. :) There is one at a local dealership about a block from me and it always catches my eye.
 
Well, M-spec has a good point. Save up for what you really want. If you're going to buy a car, buy the one you really want.
 
GaryR
^^amm.. in NY the SRT-4 Neon is no longer available and the SRT-4 Caliber has not been released yet.

Who said it had to be new?

IMADreamer
I have had a horrible experience with Dodge and will never own another. (maybe a Viper) Plus I hate the SRT-4. I think it's ugly as sin. Also they don't sell them any more and I really don't want used.

Doesn't take much to make them look 100% better. Take the wing off, lower it, good set of wheels, and a side exit exhaust would be my picks.
 
CAMAROBOY69
What is the weather like where you live? Where are you located? The reason I ask is because the GTO would not be as winter friendly as the Cobalt. Cobalt=FWD GTO=RWD. Just something to think about.
The Cobalt doesn't look too bad at all and will get decent gas mileage. You can also make it as manly looking as you want.
A couple mud flaps with the naked ladies on it and you will be as manly as possible. J/K I think its a nice car. :) There is one at a local dealership about a block from me and it always catches my eye.


I live in the midwest and winter blows. It's one of the reasons the cobalt looks tempting to me.

So here is the update so far. The car is sitting in my driveway and I am taking it back tomorrow before work. I am going to think about it a day or two. I have to be honest, I have had a blast driving it around today and I haven't even pushed it since it only had 8 miles on it when I got in it. I took it out on the highway, through some traffic, and just about any other situation I could think of that I wanted to test it and I still like it. In fact I am becoming more impressed with the car everytime I try something new with it. I took it over to my parents to get their impression and my dad loves it. I made him drive it around the block so I could hear how it sounds from the outside and it sounds really good for a 4 banger.

Well I am just rambling now, I like the car alot. It's fun and practical in the sense it gets good gas milage and is FWD. I would say I am leaning towards buying it. I have thought long and hard and am going to sleep on it tonight and probably tomorrow and decide. My thought process is that it's local, the dealership will treat me right because they always have my family, and with cars like a 350z I would have to buy it from a dealership nearly an hour and a half drive away. The GTO is still on my list because I could get one of those local too but it's an automatic transmision and much more expensive. It's well within my price range but if I can save 10k and be happy with what I have bought I would be a fool not too.

Thanks for the input so far and if you have more, fire away. Nothing is a done deal yet.
 
GaryR
^^amm.. in NY the SRT-4 Neon is no longer available and the SRT-4 Caliber has not been released yet.

Ugh.

By the way - I checked the prices today - did you know that the Ion Red Line is ~$500 cheaper than the Cobalt SS? I realize it's not as fierce looking, but it's the same car with the same handling and acceleration and $500 is $500...
 
IMADreamer
I live in the midwest and winter blows. It's one of the reasons the cobalt looks tempting to me.

So here is the update so far. The car is sitting in my driveway and I am taking it back tomorrow before work. I am going to think about it a day or two. I have to be honest, I have had a blast driving it around today and I haven't even pushed it since it only had 8 miles on it when I got in it. I took it out on the highway, through some traffic, and just about any other situation I could think of that I wanted to test it and I still like it. In fact I am becoming more impressed with the car everytime I try something new with it. I took it over to my parents to get their impression and my dad loves it. I made him drive it around the block so I could hear how it sounds from the outside and it sounds really good for a 4 banger.

Well I am just rambling now, I like the car alot. It's fun and practical in the sense it gets good gas milage and is FWD. I would say I am leaning towards buying it. I have thought long and hard and am going to sleep on it tonight and probably tomorrow and decide. My thought process is that it's local, the dealership will treat me right because they always have my family, and with cars like a 350z I would have to buy it from a dealership nearly an hour and a half drive away. The GTO is still on my list because I could get one of those local too but it's an automatic transmision and much more expensive. It's well within my price range but if I can save 10k and be happy with what I have bought I would be a fool not too.

Thanks for the input so far and if you have more, fire away. Nothing is a done deal yet.
Sounds like your quite set on the Cobalt especially since you live in a winter climate. The best part is that you are going to save $10,000!!! Wow imagine what you can do with that money. :)
 
CAMAROBOY69
Sounds like your quite set on the Cobalt especially since you live in a winter climate. The best part is that you are going to save $10,000!!! Wow imagine what you can do with that money. :)


Yeah I have plans for the money I am saving. Most involve investing though and not fun stuff. Once I finally get settled down somewhere I would like to buy a house so whatever money I can save will help with that. I do plan to take about two grand and take this car to GMs stage two and do a little suspension work. Not for a while though. I think you have to enjoy a car in stock form before you mod it or you won't truely appreciate the work you did modding the car.

Oh, by the way. I bought the car. It's sitting in front of the office right now and I am just staring out the window looking at it. I want to be driving it so bad right now. lol I have already got tons of compliments from coworkers, no one knows what it is. lol (that's a small midwestern town for ya) I will post up pictures later this weekend.
 
Well I made a car domain page for the car. It's simple for now but once I get it all cleaned up (after it quits raining) and take some more professional pictures I will gussy up the car domain page. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2395930/1

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it.
 
IMADreamer
Well I made a car domain page for the car. It's simple for now but once I get it all cleaned up (after it quits raining) and take some more professional pictures I will gussy up the car domain page. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2395930/1

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it.
Congrats on the purchase. I really like that car color too. The first time the sun comes out you should get more pics of the car. The orange will really pop with the sun out. 👍
 
Back