So...what exactly constitues a clean race?

• Thread starter isamu
  • 28 comments

isamu

(Banned)
I can get sort of an idea of what it takes to achieve a clean race, but I'd like to know exactly what cause the game to change from a clean race to a dirty race?

Is it.....

A)Cannot drive off the road at ALL?

B)Can drive off the road but only barely and only a limited amount of times?

C)Cannot collide with another vehicle WHAT SO EVER?

D)Can collide with another vehicle but only barely and if it's a hard contact then you don't get the clean race bonus?

E)Varies on the car ?

F)Varies on the track?

So, what do you guys say?

No SR down orange arrow and no penalties seem to be the minimum requirements. I've hit other cars and still gotten a clean race, but they were light contacts without SR down arrows.

I care - the "clean race bonus" awards bigger payouts in offline GT League races.

...and racing clean offline is good practice for racing clean online.
Racing the AI is not at all good practice for racing online, sadly. The best practice for racing is racing.

Basically: two wheels on the track at all times, don't hit anything. Kerbs are considered to be track. And don't spin the car - facing the wrong way negates the bonus even if you stay on the track.

There are algorithms that decide who was at fault if an AI car hits you and if you go off track as a result of such contact (I've got the bonus after crashing hard into the wall and spinning like a top on the grass afterwards, the entire thing initiated by the AI losing control on its own and wiping me out in the process) but don't count on it as there's some dodgy logic involved at times. Track limits are also weird at some places but that's another topic on its own.

A lot less than racing against AI and assuming how they drive is how humans drive.
He's talking about getting in the way of more experienced people who don't want their race ruined by a newb. Don't be that guy. No one said anything about learning from AI. They just want to have other cars around to practice avoiding.

Who cares?

It has nothing to do with car control or learning how to race. In order to make money, racing in certain series against the AI is the fastest way to build credits. To buy cars. To race online. Clean race bonuses are awarded and increase the payout dramatically. Understanding what the basic rules are matters to huge numbers of people and there are dozens of threads on this website that discuss this at great length.

I smacked into the back of an R18 today doing a Gr. 1 race at Monza. I knocked it off the track, and me onto the grass. Entirely my fault.
Amazed to get the CRB and the full 330k at the end of the race!

As someone else pointed out, it's a bit erratic - some sort of indication (like SR down in sport mode) would be a really big help (abandon or continue??)

There are algorithms that decide who was at fault if an AI car hits you and if you go off track as a result of such contact (I've got the bonus after crashing hard into the wall and spinning like a top on the grass afterwards, the entire thing initiated by the AI losing control on its own and wiping me out in the process) but don't count on it as there's some dodgy logic involved at times. Track limits are also weird at some places but that's another topic on its own.

Great post. This is exactly my experience hence the reason I started the topic really. The things you described happened to me and had me scratching my head as to why the game still awarded me a CRB. So yes...the terms "weird" and "dodgy logic" certainly come to mind when trying to comprehend what the game considers a clean race sometimes. One time I rubbed the wall hard at Tokyo Expressway and still got the bonus :lol:

Totally sure that hard sliding, hard breaking with locked wheels, or even power slides count as dirty move, has had a lot of clean races where I just turned hard on corners and haven't received the bonus.

I can get sort of an idea of what it takes to achieve a clean race, but I'd like to know exactly what cause the game to change from a clean race to a dirty race?

Is it.....

A)Cannot drive off the road at ALL?

B)Can drive off the road but only barely and only a limited amount of times?

C)Cannot collide with another vehicle WHAT SO EVER?

D)Can collide with another vehicle but only barely and if it's a hard contact then you don't get the clean race bonus?

E)Varies on the car ?

F)Varies on the track?

So, what do you guys say?

No, No, No, No, No and No with some part of yes in some answers. :lol:

Basically no one can say for sure as it seems glitched, all you can do is guess on how it's meant to work. It does seem to be about keeping your car on the track (according to the games varying unspecified track limits) more than anything else and it definitely doesn't like it when you hit walls and hitting cars may cause you to lose it too but you can definitely do this on some occasions, not that it's advised or encouraged.

However, with online especially, you can still get a clean race bonus when getting a corner cut penalty, or a contact penalty or even both and you can fail to get a clean race bonus when running from pole with zero chance of contact, never mind actual contact and whilst keeping it all on track, so however well you drive there is always a chance it won't give you the bonus, who knows why. :boggled:

On offline races I'm confused, because I've been in situations where I hit other cars and got a clean race bonus, but it seems every time I hit a wall I don't get it(although one time I slightly grazed a wall and got it).

On offline races I'm confused, because I've been in situations where I hit other cars and got a clean race bonus, but it seems every time I hit a wall I don't get it(although one time I slightly grazed a wall and got it).
If the game determined you weren't at fault for the contact with other cars you can still get a CRB. Often happens when I get punted off the track.

Speed of impact seems to matter, the faster you go when things go wrong the more likely you lose it.
Angle you hit a wall also matters. Scraping the wall seems to still get you it.
Staying within track limits, two wheels on the grass/dirt is okay, but once you get a third wheel on it you lose.
Nudging the AI seems to still get you it, but if you purposely dive bomb into them you'll lose.

The entire clean race bonus should never have been implemented in the GT League races. It's a reasonably good concept in online racing but against the AI there's really very little you can do in some cases, and unfortunately a lot of those cases occur in the endurance races. Usually it's the lapped cars too, they often pick up some magical boost and from that point on it's pure lottery if you get hit or not. These things happen far less often when racing for position in the early part of the race.

Example 1a: You've just passed a lapped car, a corner is coming up. You brake normally, the AI brakes far too late and divebombs your inside front quarter/rear ends you. Bonus gone.

Example 1b: You manage to evade the divebomb and remain ahead but are now on the outside of the corner, the outside wheels on the edge of the track. The AI exits the corner wide, hitting your inside rear quarter. Bonus gone.

Example 2a: You're passing a lapped car on a straight. Out of the blue it decides to give you room - only that you're already on the other side. Bonus gone.

Example 2b: The lapped car actually gets it right and gives you a free run on the racing line. However, when the braking zone approaches, it returns to the racing line and you're not quite past yet. Bonus gone.

Example 3: The classic one. You're passing a lapped car on the inside of a corner, it takes the apex like you weren't even there. And bonus gone.

When these happen on something like lap 27 out of 30 with everything having gone cleanly that far, it raises the blood pressure just a bit. :grumpy:

Example 2a: You're passing a lapped car on a straight. Out of the blue it decides to give you room - only that you're already on the other side. Bonus gone.
Yeah this is the worst thing, AI slower cars should just stay on the normal line like lapped cars do in the real world, especially because they only ever move over enough to leave a car + 1 pixel of room on the racing line.

Back