so yea...I PLAYED GT4 LAST NIGHT!!!!

...Prologue, that is.

My friend just got a Korean version of GT4 Prologue from his brother, who's in Korea right now. It has everything that the retail version will have except for about 1/5 of all cars. Here are the main things that stood out to me:

1. It's A LOT harder to drive
2. Graphics are better, but, honestly, I expected more.
3. There's something called "School Mode" that teaches you how to drive right, similar to "License Center" in GT3. Before every "lesson" a female voice goes over the things you need to do in order to drive under the time limit.
4. It's a lot harder to get money to buy cars/upgrade cars.
5. You can feel the car's speed a lot better than you could in GT3.
6. The menu sounds are exactly the same as they are in GT3, which kinda sucks, I was hoping for something newer.

We didnt get a chance to play around as much as we wanted to as my friend has a lab report due tommorow, but I'll tell you guys more when I get a chance to mess with it again!

Ask away any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

-Spets

Ah lots and lots of people on here have been playing Prologue (me for one) for quite awhile now, there is a whole forum dedicated just to Prologue, your abit late.

WanganDreams
...Prologue, that is.

You cant get money or upgrades in Prologue.

WanganDreams

Hard? Make that impossible. You can't do it! ;)

EDIT: Doh! I didn't see that ViperGTS had already said that. Sorry!

VIPERGTSR01
Ah lots and lots of people on here have been playing prologue (me for one) for quite awhile now, there is a whole forum dedicated just to prologue, your abit late.

hmm...i guess i have to read the forums more often :ill:

VIPERGTSR01
BTW you cant get money or upgrades in Prologue.

I have to look into that...sorry!

yeah I just bought a copy (for 14 bucks Aussie brand new would you believe). The thing that just blew me away apart from the different handling and realissm is that the Mercedes SL55 has a transmission that actually acts as an auto (its not available in manual). As in when you downshift, you dont get that 'blip of the throttle' in normal manual cars. Also, when your upshifting, its got that typical auto sound. Like, the sound of the engine doent suddenly drop off when you lift off the throttle to grab the clutch.

That and the cars ound so much more realistic. I noticed this on the GT-R. And I LOVE Fuji Speedway! And Tsukuba (although its a little hard to get that track right if you ask me). I wonder if the times at Tsukuba in say a stock GT-R is accurate to that of the times in best motoring.....

I might investigate tomorrow..... 💡

The SL55's transmission isn't just an auto. Most normal automatic transmissions still have throttle blips & such. I'm pretty sure the one in the SL55 is a specially engineered transmission that eliminates these blips.

Seems to drive like a quick shifting auto to me.

Also GT Concept had that aswell so its not new

Sven
The SL55's transmission isn't just an auto. Most normal automatic transmissions still have throttle blips & such. I'm pretty sure the one in the SL55 is a specially engineered transmission that eliminates these blips.

Sven, I can assure you there is no 'blip' of the throttle on downshifting in any auto car in the world. There is no blip because there is no need for it. The need exists to match the soeed of the flywheel and clutch when downshifting. In an Auto, the torque converter kinda does this without the need to increase the engine revs with the throttle.

Dont confuse the tip-tronic equiped manuals such as the BMW M3 CSL and the Lambo Gallardo as having autos. They all have manuals in that they have a clutch/flywheel arrangement and therefore has the 'blip' of throttle.

PS I've noticed so many things in GT4P over GT3 that its soooo cool. Like how cool is the realism. The slight lift off oversteer thats present was awesome. Also when you get two wheels on the dirt, the difficulty in getting back on track is awesome. I think they have done a great job with it but was mega dissapointed to see 'average' cars such as the Liberty 3.0R etc in it. And Tsukuba circuit, although prolly realistic, is too narrow. I absolutely love Fuji speedway and Nikki Henderson sounds hot in the Tests.

I'm pretty pleased overall with GT4P. but I can see it getting boring pretty soon with not much to do other than get the tests and race for good laptimes.....

WanganDreams
...Prologue, that is.

My friend just got a Korean version of GT4 Prologue from his brother, who's in Korea right now. It has everything that the retail version will have except for about 1/5 of all cars.
It's also missing a lot more than just cars, it has no online, no tuning, no single or series cups, no proper licenses, no drift mode, no machine test, no car dealers for used, new and classics, only 5-10% of the tracks are in prolouge too, ne GT auto, no 3d spectators so it has incomplete graphics, no museum, no flea market, no garage (home) and I'm sure therse plenty more I've not thought of right now.

Just a quick question. In Fuji Speedway for instance with the opponents turned off in arcade mode, is the maximum amount of laps you can do just 2. Like isnt there a practice mode where you can lap the track for ever. Its bloody annoyinh when you can do just one flying lap around a circuit and then restart......

XPLOSV
Sven, I can assure you there is no 'blip' of the throttle on downshifting in any auto car in the world. There is no blip because there is no need for it. The need exists to match the soeed of the flywheel and clutch when downshifting. In an Auto, the torque converter kinda does this without the need to increase the engine revs with the throttle.
Well, you probably know more than I do, but I do know that no auto I've driven has the same effect as the SL55's transmission...They have shorter shift times than sticks, but it's not 100% perfectly smooth like the SL.

How awesome is it that the License tests are a challenge now than in all GT series gone by. I'm having a ball with these 'overtaking other cars before end of lap' thing. The one with the Mclaren is quite a challange.
Mega dissapointed that the game has 'average' cars like a toyora echo and Liberty 3.0 stationwagon though.

Sven your absolutely right. The SL55 is a much smoother shift than the regular auto of 'normal' cars and a quicker shift. I was just saying that in GT4 they have actually gone to the effort of differentiating the difference in shift between the auto and manual.

Well my point was that the SL55's trasmission is a special case, not just your normal automatic. Using an automatic in any other car is the same as in 3.

Isnt the Box in the SL55 AMG a sequential, computer controlled semi auto box, much like those found in F1 cars, it probablly has the manual control option like the Ferrari F360 F1, where you can flip paddles, when the computer takes over and does the gear change, or leave it in auto mode where the computer does it all automatically.

Basically a fully Manual type Gearbox without torque converters and the like, with all the mechanics of gear change controlled by computer rather than the drivers clutch foot and gear lever movement.

XPLOSV Just a quick question. In Fuji Speedway for instance with the opponents turned off in arcade mode, is the maximum amount of laps you can do just 2. Like isnt there a practice mode where you can lap the track for ever. Its bloody annoyinh when you can do just one flying lap around a circuit and then restart......

If you go into the options and set the difficulty from 'easy' to 'hard', you will now have to do more laps (5 I think, instead of 2), regardless of whether your playing against opponents.

I know its not unlimited laps of free practice, but its a slight improvement.

OK lets just clear up this Benz Auto manual stuff. In I'm pretty sure all Mercedes (Well, I'm certain that in the SL55 anyway), they have what we all refer to as an Automatic. An Automatic in that it has a torque converter as apposed to a clutch & Flywheel arrangement in normal manual cars (and other expensive sequential transmission cars such as the BMW SMG and Ferrari F360 F1 and of course F1 cars). Having buttons on the steering wheel in a Benz or any Automatic transmission car doesnt 'suddenly' give this car a clutch & flywheel type manual. Its still an auto but you can change the gears electronically.
In F1 cars and BMW's SMG and the Ferrari 360F1, you have the paddle shift but you have a clutch and flywheel. So basically its just a proper manual but instead of manually changing gears using a gear stick in a H pattern, you do it electronically. When you shift up or down via the paddles, the computer uses the clutch for you.

This is one of the reasons why I LOVE BMW and dislike Mercedez benz. While in the BMW SMG transmission (peddle shift F1 style), you have the clutch & flywheel of a normal H-pattern gearbox car, the Benz (while still having the F1 style paddle shift) has a torque converter like your mums camery or whatever (obviously more advanced).

Oh and thanks Shure for that but I was refering to when you have opponents turned off in a kinda test run mode. Yeah I wish they had a unlimited laps mode to perfect your laps....

ok guys havin read all the posts i jst wanna add one or two things...first of all there are benzes with manus...they cant build one that functions right but they do it (on the SLK, E, C), secondly...generally the SMG l, SMG ll and upcoming SMG lll as well as Mercedes' AMG SPEEDSHIFT (thats what its called on SL 55/65) and the ALPINA SWITCH-TRONIC and Shift-Tronic are the same kind of gearbox systems all electronically controlled with the chance of manually choosing. what i doubt is that the 55 gets to 62 miles in about 4.7secs with a traditionally built auto like on the minivan moms' vans u know...for me theyre all toys that take that pure enjoyment of shifting away. by the way the 360 challenge stradale F1 has slower lap, shift times than the manual versions.
what really impressed me on GT4P was that, even though u cant use it the E60 M5 has 7 whole gears...and the Sequential Automatic Gearbox lll is the only one with adjustable shift times right down to .8 seconds on the CSL (check out the Nurburgring Nordschleife record run!!!)
always love puzzling the german electronic gimmick feature collection apart:)
later

oh and the flying run!!!
before i reallyarted playing i had 5 laps to race whenever i disabled opponents and set the difficulty to pro or whatever the highest is but now all i ever get is 2! thats good for registrating the best lap time but where are my 5 cruisin laps?? maybe its something with the order of settin the difficulty and enabling disabling the opponents cuz i really cant come up with how i got it to 5 in the beginning,
we should clear that out!

Try this... Set opponents to on...

Set difficulty to "PRO"...

Set opponents to "Off"...

If that don't work...

Set opponents to "Off"

Set difficulty to "Pro"

C.

live4speed
It's also missing a lot more than just cars, it has no online, no tuning, no single or series cups, no proper licenses, no drift mode, no machine test, no car dealers for used, new and classics, only 5-10% of the tracks are in prolouge too, ne GT auto, no 3d spectators so it has incomplete graphics, no museum, no flea market, no garage (home) and I'm sure therse plenty more I've not thought of right now.

Most important of all NO PARKING

At least that's what another post round here says...

Sorry, couldn't resist... :rolleyes:

Back