• 19 comments

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
Coming on the heels of the September 25th release of the long-awaited Halo 3, Microsoft announced various deals with different companies to promote the new game. Generally speaking, the team a Bungie is known for not whoring-out their licenses, and thusly promotions for Halo 3 have been kept to a minimum, and guaranteed as quality products. Of the known Halo 3 promotions, the "Game Fuel" flavor of Mountain Dew (made by the US-soda company Pepsi Cola) joins a special flavor of Doritos available at 7-11, as well as a few special-edition Pontiac products as well.

The first thing you'll notice will likely be The Chief, and then the Orange color of the soda. The official flavor, as Mountain Dew puts it, is a Citrus/Cherry mix. My first impressions of the flavor on the first sip was "I taste Orange." Not the Orange flavor, but the color...

Odd? Yes.

There are very few drinks I know of where you actually taste the color, but this is it. But, I like it. The cherry after-taste is odd at first, but if you can shake it off, it tastes quite good. My brother, among other people I know, said it tastes like cough syrup... And I can see where they're coming from. I'm under the impression that this would be awesome with something added to it... Connect the dots folks... But I'm uncertain which extra ingredients would go best with it.

So overall, its not too bad of a drink. Compared to other "energy" sodas like Monster, I like this a lot better. The taste is awesome, they're practically giving it away at a discount at the stores, plus the bottles look cool.

Mountain Dew/Halo 3 "Game Fuel" gets an 8/10.

I can just picture you going..."What the hell? If the colour orange had a taste this would be it" :lol:. I makes me laugh.

Is 2-liter the biggest size they make? It will be rather inconvenient for gamers to have to get up every hour to grab another.

I swear on first sip I said "This thing tastes like orange." No joke. I think I even said the same thing about the Jeff Gordon energy drink. Come to think of it, they kinda taste the same... Although the Halo 3 stuff has a Cherry after-taste.

I taste colors a lot, and I'm pretty sure there is a medical category that I fit into with that (I seem to recall reading about it in High School). Its just like when you drink Grape Soda, it just tastes like "Purple." I dunno... I guess I'm crazy...

kylehnat
Is 2-liter the biggest size they make? It will be rather inconvenient for gamers to have to get up every hour to grab another.

That would be real unfortunate, wouldn't it? The 12-packs were 3 for $11 (about $15 after MI taxes), which didn't seem like a bad deal. I might pick one of those up later.

...Either way, I wish they would sell the Baja Blast Mountain Dew from Taco Bell in stores. Thats easily the best flavor that they sell...

Bungie says they won't be giving out the license to everyone, but I have no doubt, with MS behind them, they'll whore it out to the point where there's a Halo Alarm Clock or Halo Chips....

God forbid people will have to move once every hour to pick something...

Bungie says they won't be giving out the license to everyone, but I have no doubt, with MS behind them, they'll whore it out to the point where there's a Halo Alarm Clock or Halo Chips....

All that has been officially announced, AFAIK is the following:

- "Game Fuel" Mountain Dew
- "Game Fuel" Slurpee's at 7-11 (with special Halo 3 cups)
- Halo 3-flavored Doritos (only available at 7-11)
- A special promotion at Burger King, something called a "Survivor Kit"
- A special-edition Pontiac G6 or G8 (photos showed a G8, press stuff said G6), and an unconfirmed GM-sponsored promotion similar to the Transformer's Transform Your Ride Events

IMO, that isn't the worst way to go about it. It isn't like they have to do much, if any, advertising at all. They (Microsoft/Bungie) know that this game will likely out-sell Halo 2. They know they've pretty much have the overwhelming majority of American X360 owners to buy it. The only reason why they're advertising is probably to get the word out to folks on the fence, or to make their sponsors an S-load of money.

I want to see how the GM thing works out...

I
I taste colors a lot, and I'm pretty sure there is a medical category that I fit into with that (I seem to recall reading about it in High School). Its just like when you drink Grape Soda, it just tastes like "Purple." I dunno... I guess I'm crazy....

You aren't crazy because I say the same thing with Grape pop.

Game Fuel tastes like they mixed Livewire and Code Red, then added more sugar.

That makes it awesome. Because those were the sweetest sodas I've ever tasted.

Also, alternative to all of them while available: Pepsi Summer Mix. Tastes like melted Slurpees. 👍

I tried some last weekend and I also think it tastes a little like cough syrup but most energy drinks do. The other taste that comes to mind is the alcohol energy drink called Sparks. Tastes very similar to that and they are both orange. It was ok but pop tears my stomach up so I dont drink it very often. Also as strange as it may seem I didnt feel any energy or caffeine from this drink.
As we all know, this marketing wasnt even necessary at all. Halo will sell millions no matter what.

You reminded me of this quote:

Lewis Black
NyQuil comes in two colors: red and green.
And it's the only thing on the planet that tastes like red and green.

- Halo 3-flavored Doritos (only available at 7-11)
I want more video game flavored Doritos. Like BioShock "awesome" flavor, or SSB:B "kicked in the face" blend.

- A special-edition Pontiac G6 or G8 (photos showed a G8, press stuff said G6), and an unconfirmed GM-sponsored promotion similar to the Transformer's Transform Your Ride Events
Wait, you said Bungie wasn't overdoing it? Ordinarily I would complain, but (looks at large quantity of Sonic merchandise in room)...yeah.

Are you kidding me? Holy crap. Lol. I drink a 2 liter over the course of 2-4 days.

I have a limited edition aluminum bottle of this stuff. Pretty cool.

Back