Solution: Proper Tuning for EVENTS in Time Trials

• Thread starter BobDx123
  • 0 comments
United States
United States
Alright, so I’ve been making tuning adjustments in TT for forever. However, after 1.31 dropped everything changed; each car I was trying to tune behaved vastly different in the event. This has been bugging me for a while now and I brought the issue up in a couple threads.

We’ve all known even pre-update that lap times in TT are usually slightly better from having “perfect tires” and zero change in weight from fuel usage (the latter I just learned recently from either @Meythia or @MarionJ13 … can’t remember) This was never enough to be problematic before and testing every little change in the event is a PITA for a number of reasons.

This led me to the conclusion that once the modeling/physics for tire performance & wear were drastically changed in 1.31, tuning in TT became unreliable.

Solution:
I did NOT remember that within Time Trials you can customize Tire Wear & Fuel Usage to match the event you’re tuning for… I thought this was only available when setting up a custom race.
This changes Everything.
I remembered there were settings for penalties to be toggled on/off and another toggle for how the car grips when tires are off pavement; I didn’t recognize the Tire/Fuel options at all. At first, I actually thought it was a new feature until I searched and found out it’s been there for quite some time. I’m sure last year I left it alone so I could do as many practice laps as I wanted without it interfering and forgot about it.

Edit: This also unlocks the previously hidden Fuel Map selector while driving

IMG_3607.png

- I haven’t spent much time with it yet but it immediately changed handling, even the first lap is different

- Not only does this also allows us to quickly evaluate an adjusted tune’s performance but we get the feedback on whatever impact those changes have on Tire Wear speed/symmetry and fuel consumption, including just shifting at different rpm intervals or changes fuel maps. It can be evaluated even faster by sliding the multiplier much higher than what’s in the event. eg. you can double or triple the tire wear to check if the rear tire’s are burning unacceptably faster than the front. As shown in the photo the multipliers for each go up to 50x.

*I also was unaware that you could load “custom ghosts” to chase from other cars and a variety of saved laps (for whatever reason I thought it was pre-selected only). Again, not sure if this is something I knew about before and forgot or what. Feels pretty ridiculous either way that I’m rediscovering this after playing for so long.

I feel there’s a lot that can be done with this feature as well, such as comparing the speed and handling of each turn, not only vs different cars but with a ghost that did a sector “perfectly” yet happened to not be you’re fastest lap.

Anyway, hope this is helpful for any others that may have forgot or didn’t know about these features.

Last edited:
Back