SOLVED: Help needed. Unknown loose part in base of Logitech G29

• Thread starter Gogga
  • 14 comments
South Africa
South Africa
Hi people.
This evening I detached my wheel from my rig in order to attach my shifter. I noticed a rumbling sound coming from the base of the wheel. I shook it up a bit and the noise grew louder. I immediately thought it's just a loose screw or a broken piece of plastic from the tightening screws. I took the wheel apart only to find a loose piece of un-threaded metal. It wasnt visible at first. I had to turn the base upside down for the loose part to dislodge itself. I'm clueless as to where this part fits into the base of the wheel. I put the wheel back together and everything seems to be operating normally. If anyone of you fellow sim races know where this fits please advise. Thanks

20190407_215326.jpg

20190407_215315.jpg

20190407_215336.jpg

This looks a lot more like it would belong inside the shifter rather than the wheel base.
It's not the driveshaft of the electric motor (right one on the picture), is it? I can't believe it could snap so clean like that. Also both ends seem machined, so I don't think that's the case.

This looks a lot more like it would belong inside the shifter rather than the wheel base.
It's not the driveshaft of the electric motor (right one on the picture), is it? I can't believe it could snap so clean like that. Also both ends seem machined, so I don't think that's the case.

My wheel has been operating normally, even with the loose part in the base of the wheel. I only noticed the rattling sound when I decided to remove the wheel from my rig to attach the shifter.
The shifter was last used a few months ago during a session in Assetto Corsa. Since then I removed the Shifter entirely from my rig and stored it away.
Its not the driveshaft of the electric motor. The diameter of the unknow part slightly larger than the driveshart of the electric motor.

I put the wheel back together, excluding the unknown metal piece. I have tested it for about half and hour or so and everything seems normal. I am unaware as to when this part dislodged itself as I never take my wheel of my rig, so it could have been months that I've been using the wheel with the loose part inside. I am concerned about this part and really want to get it back into the base so I know that the wheel is functioning as it should.

I've searched the internet and Youtube, but I haven't come across an in depth breakdown of the G29 to see where this particular part fits.

It might be a rivet that's holding something in place. Most likely there are more rivet pins like that, so missing only one hasn't made anything loose.
However if you're concerned, you can start unscrewing and unplugging everything to find the place where it's missing from. Since it was inside your wheel base, there's not much to unscrew and you can leave the motors in place, since there is nothing under them.

@Gogga Are you sure it originally came from your wheel and isn't something that could've fallen inside? I ask because it looks like one of these shelving dowels.
10pcs-M3x-5-6-8-10-12-14-16-18-20mm-Length-column-cylindrical-dowel-pin.jpg

I will disassemble the wheel and remove the main board. Hopefully its as you say, just a rivet that's supporting something inside.

Thanks for your advice.

@Gogga Are you sure it originally came from your wheel and isn't something that could've fallen inside? I ask because it looks like one of these shelving dowels.
View attachment 813263

The part looks identical to that. But its impossible to have fallen inside the wheel base as the entire unit is sealed. The diameter of the part would not fit through the ventilation vents.
I have never disassembled the wheel prior to this. Do you think its possible that the part had lodged itself in the base during the manufacture process and as time progressed it became loose, falling to the base and creating the rattling sound.

The part looks identical to that. But its impossible to have fallen inside the wheel base as the entire unit is sealed. The diameter of the part would not fit through the ventilation vents.
I have never disassembled the wheel prior to this. Do you think its possible that the part had lodged itself in the base during the manufacture process and as time progressed it became loose, falling to the base and creating the rattling sound.
Anythings possible :lol:. They can also be used as locating pins, but I've never pulled a G29 apart so I'm not sure if they use them.

Anythings possible :lol:. They can also be used as locating pins, but I've never pulled a G29 apart so I'm not sure if they use them.
I will do as @raghza suggested. If i can't locate where the "shelving dowel" pin fits, i will just put it all back together and forget about the unknown loose part! :D

@raghza @FPV MIC

I found where the 'shelving dowel' fits. It was in plain sight. Being the material it was made from, I automatically assumed that it had to do with the motors. I did as raghza suggested and stripped the main board. I inspected the motors and I was about to bin the unknown part when it struck me where the pin fitted into. It was not necessary to strip the main board. It wasnt futile though as I am now comfortable with carrying out my own repairs. Good learning experience. If anyone experiences any rattling from the base of the G29, strip it down completely as this metal piece could lodge in the gear shaft and crack the plastic. I tapped it in lightly with a small hammer just for good measure.

20190409_141040.jpg

20190409_140804.jpg

@raghza @FPV MIC

I found where the 'shelving dowel' fits. It was in plain sight. Being the material it was made from, I automatically assumed that it had to do with the motors. I did as raghza suggested and stripped the main board. I inspected the motors and I was about to bin the unknown part when it struck me where the pin fitted into. It was not necessary to strip the main board. It wasnt futile though as I am now comfortable with carrying out my own repairs. Good learning experience. If anyone experiences any rattling from the base of the G29, strip it down completely as this metal piece could lodge in the gear shaft and crack the plastic. I tapped it in lightly with a small hammer just for good measure.

View attachment 813305

View attachment 813306
Great news and well done, I'm glad you worked it out 👍. It looks as if they are being used as locating pins to roughly align the metal plate before the screws go in, so you probably could've left it out. At least if it happens to anyone else we can point them in the right direction :).

I'm so glad I found this just experienced the same thing and freaked out

I see if I'm confident enough to repair it

Welcome to GT PLANET . The most friendly and helpful community on the planet!
Its a simple fix. You can easily repair it. They are just locating pins as @FPV MIC indicated. Its not necessary for the functioning of the wheel. Its safer to open the base up though and fix it as that locating pin can cause a nasty surprise if it ends up in the plastic gear shaft. Just be careful when you remove/replace the steering wheel. The ps3/ps4 switch is situated at the center of the PC Board of the steering wheel. Its a very tiny switch and can easily be broken if you are not gentle with it. Make sure the switch aligns with button when you are replacing steering wheel.

Last edited:
You have to put the pins back into place, they are important! They keep the metal back from putting to much pressure on the small screws keeping the metal back to the plastic front. If you do not put it back, it force of the motors will wobble the screws out of the plastic and destroy the plastic threat. I learned after I also found the loose pin in the casing and saw the screws already half out of the plastic. The steering wheel then also gets like a few mm play in the steering axle. I did use blue locktite to fix the screws and pins. Also put some tape or hot glue to keep the pins from falling out again. This will make your wheel last a bit longer for you to enjoy racing.. all the best!

You have to put the pins back into place, they are important! They keep the metal back from putting to much pressure on the small screws keeping the metal back to the plastic front. If you do not put it back, it force of the motors will wobble the screws out of the plastic and destroy the plastic threat. I learned after I also found the loose pin in the casing and saw the screws already half out of the plastic. The steering wheel then also gets like a few mm play in the steering axle. I did use blue locktite to fix the screws and pins. Also put some tape or hot glue to keep the pins from falling out again. This will make your wheel last a bit longer for you to enjoy racing.. all the best!
Its been a year since I repaired it. My wheel is still going strong. Glad I found where those locator pins fit and replaced them. If they do ever come loose again, I will use Loctite.

Back