[SOLVED] The infamous "No HDMI Signal" issue has hit me.

• Thread starter rambo793
  • 13 comments
India
Mumbai,India
rambo793
Here's the scenario:

I own an 80 GB Fat PS3 which I bought back in 2010. I started using an HDMI cable to play games on my Samsung 32" Series 3 Television a few months after. Since then, up until last month, for three years nearly that is, I've had no problems, whatsoever.

Then, the problems started. Last month, whenever I would turn on my Television and Playstation, I'd receive the "No Signal" message on the screen. I'd try everything in the book, that being:
1) Disconnect HDMI cable from TV and PS3. Switch off both for a while
2) Connect the cable back, hold the ps3 power button when you switch it on until you hear the "beep" to reset the video output settings
3) Connect the AV cable and try switching to HDMI Manually.

Nothing. I'd repeat this for an hour atleast when suddenly, I'd get a signal and all would be fine. The problem would disappear for a day or two, and then return. Last week, it started getting more frequent. More so, when I was in the middle of a game, and it would lose signal all of a sudden and never return for hours no matter what I did.
And just like before, at a random time on a random day, it would decide to return.

So I grew really frustrated, and decided to narrow down the problem causes.

1) I switched HDMI cables, to no avail.
2) I tried a different Television and it wouldn't work there either the two times I tried it on there.
3) I've switched video output to 720p and have realized the signal losses have become less frequent but are still present

And what's even more strange is that, the TV recognizes the presence of an HDMI cable sometimes,( The screen just goes blank, not even a "No Signal" message appears) yet it doesn't display anything. And then after a million attempts at switching ON and OFF, it would appear. Only to lose signal after an hour of gameplay never to return for another 24 hours.

I've looked everywhere on the internet and concluded that this probably is a port problem on my PS3. People have even mentioned a "handshaking" issue that's not working the way it should preventing the TV and the PS3 from communicating normally.

This has really depressed me as I'm heavy into GTA V right not and this is really killing my experience. THE AV cable only gives me a horrendous 576i video output. I'm contemplating taking my system to the local Sony outlet to see what they can do.

But before I did, I just wanted to ask around here if anyone has had the same problems and solved it before? Do I really need to take it to Sony and ask them to repair it?

Or should I maybe just buy a Component wire and if so, will that give me a 1080p output? Do please help, I'm at a crossroads here.

Thanks for your patience. :cheers:

Your FAT ps3 is a problem.

Just to be sure connect other device into TV using the same HDMI cable that your PS3 is connected. Once you eliminate possibility of TV and Cable caused problem then only option is that your PS3 is broken, not entirely just HDMI output.

I've had this, and I can be 100% sure it's the Playstation at fault. Hopefully Sony should be able to give you a refurbished unit, even if you have to pay a small fee.

Or should I maybe just buy a Component wire and if so, will that give me a 1080p output? Do please help, I'm at a crossroads here.

Thanks for your patience. :cheers:
There is NO visual difference between HDMI and Component. Despite what others want to say or believe. So I would just get the component cables and be all set.

Yea darren and ussr, guessed enough the port was messed up.

Really Camaroboy? No difference you say? Though I read somewhere that my TV should first be able to support 1080p in component mode for it to render it. But if it outputs at said resolution in HDMI then it should be just fine in Component right?

So, it should be more feasible if I just go out and buy a component cable instead of shelling out a tad bit on a repair? Should I be aware of anything before buying the component cables?

There is NO visual difference between HDMI and Component. Despite what others want to say or believe. So I would just get the component cables and be all set.
Actually there usually is a minor difference, but it's quite hard to see.

You need to do a side by side comparison to really see it, but since people normally do only have one TV, they normally don't notice any crucial difference.

Actually there usually is a minor difference, but it's quite hard to see.

You need to do a side by side comparison to really see it, but since people normally do only have one TV, they normally don't notice any crucial difference.
I have had multiple tvs side by side AND my new 40" Sony Bravia lets me imput 2 different cable systems on the screen at the same time. I tested component and HDMI. Keep in mind I have multiple gaming systems and duplicates of the exact same game. I, along with many others, have tested this and cant see a single difference. If there was a visual difference I would have seen it for sure. I am very anal about detail. If you don't believe me check the thread I created where I purchased over 5 tvs in 1 month. This has been discussed many times, many threads, same results. HDMI to Component is visually the same. If there is any difference it is virtually non existent to the naked eye.

*The ONLY catch is you cant watch true 3d using component cables. For 3d you MUST use HDMI. True 3d does not work using component.

Hopefully this is helpful. Not meant to sound bitter. :)

Also keep in mind when you hook up your component cables you will be using a new channel of the tv so you will probably have to adjust all your TV settings for the component cable. For example if you adjusted color or sharpness on your HDMI setting, you will have to re-adjust those with your component setup.

Last edited:
I was going to respond,no need to now, thanks Darren,looks like HDMI looks the same as on my 4 tv's and component is well component,maybe someone needs a better tv.

Appreciate the response guys.

Called the local Sony service center today and they asked me to bring it in, although they mentioned that any sort of HDMI problem is irreparable. They also said that they'd look into the problem and possibly give me a replacement along with an added fee ofcourse.

So, *fingers crossed*. Though I'm wondering, do they give you a new console even if your warranty's long over?

Appreciate the response guys.
So, *fingers crossed*. Though I'm wondering, do they give you a new console even if your warranty's long over?

If by 'new' you mean never used/box unopened then no, you will get a refurbished console 👍.

If by 'new' you mean another console (which I think you do), then I think you will have to pay a fee to get a refurb, whereas if your console is still under warranty, I would have thought Sony would replace it for free.

If by 'new' you mean never used/box unopened then no, you will get a refurbished console 👍.

If by 'new' you mean another console (which I think you do), then I think you will have to pay a fee to get a refurb, whereas if your console is still under warranty, I would have thought Sony would replace it for free.

Yup, By new, I just meant another console. I was doing some reading and there's word that I could get a refurb for upto 25-50% discount. And no bud, my warranty's up, so no free replacements.

Will just have to wait till tomorrow and see, don't think I'm gonna sleep tonight. This problem has really got me down. :indiff:

Yup, By new, I just meant another console. I was doing some reading and there's word that I could get a refurb for upto 25-50% discount. And no bud, my warranty's up, so no free replacements.

Will just have to wait till tomorrow and see, don't think I'm gonna sleep tonight. This problem has really got me down. :indiff:

Hmmm, 25-50% discount doesn't sound that great to be honest. I suppose you could contact Sony via phone and kick up a fuss, something along the lines of you being a loyal customer to Sony since PS1 and expecting a better service than what they are offering, as well as threatening to buy an XBOX ONE over PS4 when they release?

My dad did something like that about 3 years ago and he got a HUGE discount, like only having to pay £25 (under 20% of what they cost at the time) so I suppose that could save you some money 👍

Alright, if anyone was wondering whatever happened here, the problem was fixed: with a Component cable!

I decided to first invest in the cable before I paid a large sum for a refurbished model, and I'm pleased I did. Honestly, like many here have said earlier, there really isn't much of a difference from a HDMI cable, not to my eyes at the very least. The only major difference is the color and saturation. GT5 looks very saturated, while GTA 5 looks splendid. Nothing a few changes to your TV settings won't correct. Beside that, it's like I'm running just on HDMI.

So if anyone else is hit with a similar problem, you know what to do.

Thanks everyone for the feedback :cheers:

Back